Help with javascript

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Help with javascript

Post by bahua »

I figured this site has some people that know their web programming pretty well, so I thought I'd bounce this off you guys before I resort to paying for help.

I've been working on a new version of my website for some time, and there's no real hurry in getting it working, but one extremely troubling bit is some javascript I'm trying to get working. In the comment interface, I have two forms. The first form is viewable by the user, and has two writable inputs, a text field and a textarea. There's a button at the bottom of that form that makes a preview div appear below, and updates that preview when the user updates the textarea.

It also passes the filled-in values to hidden values for submission.

The whole thing works beautifully in firefox2, but firefox2 is notoriously accomodating of bad code. It just plain doesn't work in the other browsers I've tried (opera9 and ie6/7).

Here's the principal code:

Code: Select all

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function validate() {
	var ok = 'OK';
	var enc = 'ezf2x6';
	document.comment.human.value = ok;
	document.comment.try.value = enc;
}
function populate() {
	var name = document.draft.name.value;
	var txt = document.draft.txt.value;
	document.comment.name.value = name;
	document.comment.txt.value = txt;
}
function hideshow() {
	var disp = true;
	var upd = "Update";
	document.getElementById("preview").style.display = disp ? "" : "none";
	window.scrollBy(0,500);
	document.draft.prevupd.value = upd;
}
</script>
<div style="margin: 5px;">
<h2>Chime in:</h2>
<form name="draft">
<b>Name:</b><br>
<input class="i" name="name"><br> 
<b>Comment:</b><br>
<textarea class="ti" name="txt" rows="6" wrap="physical"></textarea><br>
<input class="b" type="button" name="prevupd" value="Preview" onclick="javascript:populate();hideshow();">
</form>
</div>
<div id="preview" style="display: none; margin: 5px;">
<h2>Comment Preview:</h2>
<form name="comment" action="/cgi/comment.bdc" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="hidden" name="name">
<input type="hidden" name="id" value="p/N9hU">
<textarea name="txt" rows="6" wrap="physical" style="font: 14px Verdana; padding: 3px; width: 100%; border: 1px dashed #000; background: #8FA8BF; color: #000;" readonly></textarea><br>
<b>Validation:</b> <input class="b" name="human" type="button" value="Click Here to Prove Your Humanity" onclick="javascript:validate();document.comment.human.disabled = true;"> <b>If you're human, feel feel to</b> 
<input type="hidden" name="try" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="val" value="Hy2qGPTMAFc">
<input class="b" type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>
</div>
The error I get in Opera's error console, which makes no sense as far as I can tell is:
Inline script compilation
Syntax error while loading: line 6 of inline script at http://beta.bahua.com/?a=N9hU :

document.comment.try.value = enc

----------------------^
Any ideas?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help with javascript

Post by mean »

I'll look at this in greater detail tomorrow, but first impression is that it looks fine. Not sure what the problem is. But it's late, and I have a headache. I'll hit you up on gchat.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I ran this by a friend, and he informed me that "try" is a reserved name. I changed it to "attempt" and the problems cleared up. At least, it cleared up enough to start moving again.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Ahh, there you go.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

Bahua,

Best practice is to always run javascript through jslint as either part of a build process or using their web front-end (www.jslint.com).

It is a lifesaver. It enforces writing really good js and would have caught this problem!
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Cool website by the way Bahua. You did a good job.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.