Official KCK Development Thread

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Official KCK Development Thread

Post by KCK »

Here is another project I didn't know about. Apparently there is going to be a focus on restoring the Sumner High School Area. Kansas City LISC will be the ones working on the project.

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/article ... /news2.txt
The school itself should be a significant focus of the project. New building space is provided under the plan, and the football field would be renovated in an effort to allow the school to play more of its football games there. Additionally, more parking and a fountain monument are included in early renderings of the project. Renovated homes would be structured so residents could watch sporting events from their front porch.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Piper finally has a plan for a new elementary school. Link to the pdf file:
http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/showcon ... x?id=13690

KCK IS BACK!!!!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Has anyone been to the restaurant in Strawberry Hill called Felitza's?  Is it a "gotta go there" place or avoidable?  Can't find much on the web other than a 2 year old Pitch review.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

passerby
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by passerby »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Has anyone been to the restaurant in Strawberry Hill called Felitza's?  Is it a "gotta go there" place or avoidable?  Can't find much on the web other than a 2 year old Pitch review.
Definitely worth the trip.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Federal grant will help three KCK neighborhoods

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... l?ana=e_du
There is no fifth destination.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Development is slow in KCK lately.

i have noticed that they are finally clearing the land across from Village West for the new Wal-mart/Sam's Club. Only 2 years after initially planned.....lol

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It could be worse.  Raytown's new retail center (which includes a walmart) was proposed like 2 years before the KCK development.  They are just now "getting ready" to clear the site (demolish buildings when the vo-tech moves out).

Although Raytown's development is a true "re" development and far more complicated than the KCK development.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

KCK, you should check the agenda for Thursday's commission meetings...they are scheduled to complete a number of Plaza at the Speedway-related items, mostly related to authorizing the expansion of Parallel Parkway to include medians, additional through lanes and turn lanes adjacent to the retail project.
Indecision is the root of evil.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote: It could be worse.  Raytown's new retail center (which includes a walmart) was proposed like 2 years before the KCK development.  They are just now "getting ready" to clear the site (demolish buildings when the vo-tech moves out).

Although Raytown's development is a true "re" development and far more complicated than the KCK development.
That sucks for Raytown and KCK. Its no wonder why businesses flock to the outer suburbs., they don't have governments that are so bloated and slow that it takes forever for anything to get off the ground.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I read in the biz journal's commercial real estate transaction listings in the back that Wal-Mart has just purchased it's property from The Plaza at the Speedway LLC.

I also read that the plans for the adjacent Home Depot are up in the air as that company was struggling in the face of stiff competition from Lowe's and then on top of that the problems with the economy started. They have scaled back their new store plans and their spokesman won't disclose if a store is still being considered at that location or not.

I bet the developer will bring in Lowe's if Home Depot backs out. I didn't understand why they brought in Home Depot in the first place, as Lowe's typically co-locates with Wal-Mart.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KCK wrote: That sucks for Raytown and KCK. Its no wonder why businesses flock to the outer suburbs., they don't have governments that are so bloated and slow that it takes forever for anything to get off the ground.
This project took a little longer because it is more like a redevelopment. They had to acquire mulitple parcels, demolish numerous structures and wait for a church to find a new location and begin construction before they can vacate their current location and allow development of the shopping center to proceed.

All of that takes extra time to coordinate and finalize hence the long development lead-time.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

justin8216 wrote: I bet the developer will bring in Lowe's if Home Depot backs out. I didn't understand why they brought in Home Depot in the first place, as Lowe's typically co-locates with Wal-Mart.
There is a Lowes at 72nd and State, I doubt they will build that close together in Wyandotte County.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCK wrote: Piper finally has a plan for a new elementary school. Link to the pdf file:
http://www.wycokck.org/WorkArea/showcon ... x?id=13690
It's quite a bit further along than that. Bids were taken yesterday and construction should start shortly.

Additions and remodeling of the existing high school is next up for Piper.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Was looking at the single family permit activity for the metro area on the HBA's web site. Almost all area cities are down over 50 percent in the number of permits issued thru June 08 compared with last year including KC KS.

However KC KS has moved up in ranking from its' usual position of number 5 in top permitting cities to number 4 replacing Overland Park.

The top 5 cities in order are KC MO (which includes permits issued in 3 counties), Olathe, Lees Summit, KC KS, and Overland Park.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

justin8216 wrote: KC MO (which includes permits issued in 3 counties), .
So, what is your point?  It's the city of KCMO is in portions of three counties, not three entire counties.

Still, this is great news for KCK (which includes the entire county of WyCo, including bonner? :).

Seriously, I hope they keep it up.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

GRID wrote: So, what is your point?  It's the city of KCMO is in portions of three counties, not three entire counties.

Still, this is great news for KCK (which includes the entire county of WyCo, including bonner? :).

Seriously, I hope they keep it up.
The point is the only reason KCMO issues so many permits is because the city streches accross 3 counties so they really can't be compared to other municipalities. The fact is KCMO has only issued 33 sf building permits in Jackson County year-to-date.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I know that most of the new owner occupied housing in the part of KCMO in Jackson County tends to be Condos due to the fact that it is a more urban area, which is as should be.

Also you are incorrect the KC HBA (homebuilders association) lists Bonner Springs and Edwardsville permits separately even though on the permit rankings they list it as KCK/Wyandotte County it only includes permits issued in KCK.

If you want to look at the entire county together then it would be 117 sf permits year-to-date and would supplant Lees Summit as 3rd top permitting entity in the metro.

Also interesting, Bonner Springs has issued 25 sf building permits year-to-date compared to KCMO's 33 in it's part of Jackson County.