Do you have cats that bring in the things they catch?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Do you have cats that bring in the things they catch?

Post by pstokely »

They don't even kill them, they just bring them inside and release them thinking them can catch them again and torture them until they die. My cat seems to bring in things around sunrise.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Do you have cats that bring in the things they catch?

Post by anniewarbucks »

That is the nature of a cat. from mice to insects, they use their dominance to make these creatures suffer. That is the same with the huge jungle cats and their prey.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Ours brought in a bird once. He didn't have too much of an opportunity to play with it....
A fool and your money are soon united.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

ours brought in half a rabbit, the back half.  very disturbing and messy.
910penn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by 910penn »

My cats are dying to get a bird, but we live on the 6th floor of the building so all they can do is sit at the sill and goes crazy staring the birds down
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

This thread is bad.  The website dedicated to Jeff the Cat and whatever he has recently killed is worse.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kuslamb wrote: This thread is bad.  The website dedicated to Jeff the Cat and whatever he has recently killed is worse.
If by "worse" you mean "completely genius" then I agree, 100%.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

One time, my cat brought in half of a dead puppy dog.
KC is the way to be!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

In my experience it is the female cats. The men are content to sit around and snooze.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

No,

And don't know what's worse. The nearly wild female tortoise-shell that oozed up from our neighborhood was the alpha-feline in her territory. I would encounter her inhaling a bird, leaving their stick legs as the only evidence, or, I would encounter a chipmunk head with maybe a front leg attached. After a while I began to see more stomachs as well, after she decided that part didn't taste good.

There was this one week years ago when everytime I left for work the garage door would arise like a curtain on a stage-there would be that cat knocking some little animal around, swatting at a snake, up in a tree sharpening her claws for a day of murderous mayhem or some other display. If something was in her mouth (a baby rabbit or something) there was no saving it. If I tried to chase her or get her to drop it, she would run off with the prey howling in her mouth. One day I threw a bottle at her, and that made her drop the animal and run off, so from then on....

Once she got this mother mouse, then found the litter of about 7 one day old micelings; ate 'em alive like grapes.

Never caught a damn squirrel though, and those tree rats ate the corner off of my house.

She never brought anything home as a trophy, mostly ate what she caught. Often the paw would flick out at a fly, she'd catch it, and eat that too. She would be gone for 2 two days, and then show up. Once she was captured in our neighbors rodent trap, and spent a full day in there.

Well, the thing is 15 now. Was never that friendly until recent years after a move which seemed to change the entire personality. The cat is afraid of the outdoors, will barely go out on the porch and is getting nicer.

What goes on in that egg sized brain is beyond me.
Last edited by advocrat on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

nice post advocrat

"never caught a squirell"; trophies only showed up when he was on 'thirds' for the day
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I have had 2 outdoor cats and the male was the more active one. He would drag something home everyday. The female cat rarely caught anything but when she did she was very proud of it. I remember one time she drug home a decaying squirrel and acted as if she did something great. She dropped it in front of my moms feet and so my mom threw it away and our cat watched it and wouldnt come near any of us for over a week b/c she was so angry.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

My cat Peaches was a rabid hunter. Just because she was a housecat didn't mean she couldn't hunt. She was death on crickets.

She would eat the bodies and leave a little pile of cricket legs on my bed for me.

Poor Peachie had to be put to sleep in December because of lung cancer. I miss her. She was almost 15 and a sweetheart.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

When I was a kid we had a cat in Texas that always that would always bring dead or almost alive things to us (field mice, lizards, moles, locusts, etc.).  One day a bunch of neighbor kids and myself were on our patio and Bootz brought a small snake to us.  Of course we all screamed and scattered.  She would always leave her trophies in the same place.  When my did came home from work we discovered it was a small copperhead, we just thought it was a harmless yard snake.
We started keeping her inside after that.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

nota wrote: My cat Peaches was a rabid hunter. Just because she was a housecat didn't mean she couldn't hunt. She was death on crickets.

She would eat the bodies and leave a little pile of cricket legs on my bed for me.

Poor Peachie had to be put to sleep in December because of lung cancer. I miss her. She was almost 15 and a sweetheart.
My kitty is 15 too... although he seems healthy for now, it's gonna hurt whenever I have to put him to sleep.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: My kitty is 15 too... although he seems healthy for now, it's gonna hurt whenever I have to put him to sleep.
We can't go through that nightmare anymore. No more pets for us.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: We can't go through that nightmare anymore. No more pets for us.
Could be, but like they always say... better to have loved and lost than have never loved at all.

I miss a dog called Dilly who we sent on her way in about 1997.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

This dog o mine couldn't kill something if you duct-taped it on the ground in front of her. Dumb.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

eliphar17 wrote: This dog o mine couldn't kill something if you duct-taped it on the ground in front of her. Dumb.
No, not dumb. Just doing her job, which is to help all creatures feel better. She did that for me. Thanks for posting her picture.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)