Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by ComandanteCero »

I don't know if they're putting out tickets, but went by tonight at around 10 and there was some serious police presence in and around the district, even on the Crossroads side of the highway.  Just randomly parked with their overhead lights flashing, headlights on.  I'm guessing they were preparing for the concert to let out? 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

ComandanteCero wrote: I don't know if they're putting out tickets, but went by tonight at around 10 and there was some serious police presence in and around the district, even on the Crossroads side of the highway.  Just randomly parked with their overhead lights flashing, headlights on.  I'm guessing they were preparing for the concert to let out? 
Yeah, that doesn't sound like they were giving out parking tickets.
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Tickets would only be given if it is posted "No Parking" or if there is any restricted parking during select hours.  At meters there should be signs telling you how long you can park and between which hours.  So if it says "2 Hour Parking, 6:00AM to 6:00PM" then that is the only time it is restricted.  After 6:00PM till 6:00AM there is no restricted parking.

However, look for the city to be putting up some temporary signs to restrict parking along the street for various times during the tournament.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

From today's Star article....
Parking in the Power & Light District garages is available after 5 p.m. weekdays and all weekend. The cost is $2 with validation with any purchase from a district tenant. Valet parking also will be available evenings and weekends for $6.
This differs from the after 6pm on weekdays and only after 12pm on Saturday.....hopefully these are the new hours, seem much more visitor friendly.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've parked in the P&L garage three tmies now, and have yet to pay a dime.  Once validated it has been letting me out no charge.  Hmm...
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

I'm offering to solve all your parking problems. You can come to my place, park, and I'll drive you to the destination of your choice for a small fee.  :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just drove downtown, parked on the street at 11th and Main where there was more than one empty space.  Walked all over downtown, noticed tons of parking lots and garages that were not full, grabbed a burger at Winsteads and drove back to Crown Center.

I think the city providing shuttles to Kemper is only going to make this KC parking fetish worse as it will make people's image of the lack of downtown parking even more valid.

Parking problem?  Yea right.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I went to the P&L Distirct last night, and I was able to park for FREE on McGee, just North of the Sprint Center.  The P&L District had tons of people and there were plenty of parking spaces on McGee.
KC is the way to be!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Tell me about it.  My girlfriend got Rock Star parking when she came to meet me at Zoo Bar last night... less than 1 block from the arena.  :)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

McGee is definitely a hidden gem.  No one thinks to loop around the block to go over there, since 14th is one way.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I drove my car to the Power & Light District twice this week. Both times I got a space on 14th right in the middle of the district, directly across the street from my destination both times.

People who complain about parking in Kansas City are.... well, just not worth paying attention to.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

Tosspot wrote: I drove my car to the Power & Light District twice this week. Both times I got a space on 14th right in the middle of the district, directly across the street from my destination both times.
People who complain about parking in Kansas City are.... well, just not worth paying attention to.
I don't really believe there's a parking problem DT and it's actually better compared to some cities.  Most of the time I find parking directly across my destination too or even right in front of it.  With the new Arena and the PL District, you're going to have people visit who are used to parking in a parking lot, and it's also free parking that they are used.  Also, these people are going to be used to parking in stalls and will actually avoid parallel parking just because they are not used to it. 

The people who complain about the parking challenge, IMO are people who are not used to driving and parking in an urban setting. KC parking and driving is a cakewalk compared to other cities. 
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

My sister in law is going to the 11:30 game tomorrow and asked me where to park. I personally know that there is plenty of parking, but what would be a good suggestion and what time should she get there?
:lol:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

we got there about 10 this morning, parked in a lot east of 12th and Grand, 20 bucks seems to be the norm.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

grovester wrote: we got there about 10 this morning, parked in a lot east of 12th and Grand, 20 bucks seems to be the norm.
Whoah.. seriously?  The signs (that I saw anyway) for the garages west of Grand all said $10 this evening.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think weekday rates during an event might be a premium, or we're just too lazy to comparison shop!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

grovester wrote: I think weekday rates during an event might be a premium, or we're just too lazy to comparison shop!

Oh, durr... I forgot about it being daytime.  Yeah I bet they jacked the prices up since it was tighter.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nope..saw 10-12 all over this morning.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

The garage just east of 1201 Walnut was $10 this morning and afternoon.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

There are other smaller surface lots North of the arena and if you aren't worried about walking a bit it can be as cheap as $2.10 all day if you get there early enough.  I park on 7th and Grand when I have to drive into work.  Also, there is a free lot at 3rd and Grand in the Rivermarket where you can take a MAXX bus for cheap and get dropped off near the arena as well.