Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
rhine
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by rhine »

I am in Sioux Falls, SD at least once or twice year to visit relatives, and it had a Scheels in their mall that I go to virtually every time we are in town. Now in its own building down the road. The old location, although not a large as Cabelas, had an amazing selection of sporting goods and outdoor gear. It was one of my favorite stores of its type I had ever been to. The new store is much larger and has an much greater selection than before.

It has enough differences from Cabelas, Dicks and Bass Pro to comfortably maintain its own niche. If anything it seemed like a overgrown Dicks on steroids (did I really just write that? isn't that an oxymoron?  :lol:). The outdoor and hunting selection is very comparable to BP and Cabelas with some significant brand differences. Seemed like they had a more Northern and Western bent than the aforementioned. All in all it will do just fine in this market, but in a market that suddenly finds itself borderline over saturated. The big loser in all of this will be Dicks. Their saving grace is the number of locations. Me like the competition.  8)
Last edited by rhine on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think ahead.

Proverbs 3:5-6
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

I've stopped at the Scheels in Iowa City along I-80 a couple of times over the past few years.  I think the "Dick's on steroids" is a pretty accurate description.
I am curious to see what happens once Sports Authority opens up all of their locations, as well as the Scheels in a couple of years.  Something will probably have to give at some point.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I think you guys are right. I think Scheels, Bass Pro, and Cabellas will continue to do fine. Dicks on the other hand might get run out of the market. Cabellas will probably lose some business but they can afford to. Never seen that parking lot not jammed.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think cabela's, bass pro, dick's, et al will have a tough time competing with the two animatronic u.s. presidents offered by scheel's.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Which presidents do you think those will be? Here's hoping its the Gipper and Teddy 8)
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: i think cabela's, bass pro, dick's, et al will have a tough time competing with the two animatronic u.s. presidents offered by scheel's.
Looks like they have a lot of fudge too.  Nothing like picking up a pound of fudge with your new workout shorts.  :lol:
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

supposed to be dwight and harrry. Big surprise.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

NDTeve wrote: I think you guys are right. I think Scheels, Bass Pro, and Cabellas will continue to do fine. Dicks on the other hand might get run out of the market. Cabellas will probably lose some business but they can afford to. Never seen that parking lot not jammed.
Every time I go to Dicks, they are packed.  The one at Zona Rosa is just nuts, all of the time.  That new Sports Authority up there will do nothing to that Dicks location.

The ones in Indep and Lee's Summit are also always busy, not a crazy as the Zona Rosa location though.  We don't go to the ones in Kansas (ever since Galyans switched to Dicks, we always go to ZR).  But I would guess they are still busy too.

I think the market is big enough to handle the 2 bass pros, Cabella's and Dicks, anything else is going to be rough going.  I figured western KCK would get a super dicks ;). like Zona Rosa or Town Center, but this project will probably kill that idea since it's the same thing.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Is Bass Pro in Olathe is desolate 60% of the time. Busier on the weekends than weekdays naturally, but i'm not so sure about how long it will stay around. 
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Scheels sounds like a super Galyans (which I really miss).  I am not a fan of Dicks because of the incompetence of their staff. 
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

NDTeve wrote: I think you guys are right. I think Scheels, Bass Pro, and Cabellas will continue to do fine. Dicks on the other hand might get run out of the market. Cabellas will probably lose some business but they can afford to. Never seen that parking lot not jammed.
I hope the new super scheels puts the cabelas location out of business. Cabelas is a lousy retailer and their retail facility could be called 2nd rate at best. It sufficed for a while to help get the ball rolling on Village West but after Scheels opens with a superior store I think the cabelas site can find a higher calling.

Cabelas could relocate to a small town outside of the metro along an interstate hwy. That is what they are good at. How about Salina, ks? They suck at operating a store in a major metropolitan area. All their other stores are in rural towns and they have no idea how to handle diiversity because all their managers are relocated from nebraska and north Dakota where there are few minorities ie black people, ECT.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

?????

Cabelas seems to be doing just fine, thank you very much.  Wanting a successful business that is about ready to start adding to the tax base is beyond my comprehension.  So, Cabelas isn't aimed at the minority population, so what? 
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Schlitterbahn May Start Construction Next Month

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The long awaited ground breaking may start next month.  The Wyandotte UG gave preliminary approval last night on the project.
This is including two 10 story hotel towers.
Nice to see it start to happen. :P

http://www.bonnersprings.com/news/2008/ ... hlitterba/
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Schlitterbahn May Start Construction Next Month

Post by kcmetro »

GuyInLenexa wrote: The long awaited ground breaking may start next month.  The Wyandotte UG gave preliminary approval last night on the project.
This is including two 10 story hotel towers.
Nice to see it start to happen. :P

http://www.bonnersprings.com/news/2008/ ... hlitterba/
They haven't even broke ground yet??? I thought they had started on this months ago. I suppose the opening date will be sometime around 2012?  :lol:
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

They've been working out there this spring ever since the weather started to allow - including regrading and currently "cutting" channels that will support the "transportainment system" and Riverwalk, which will be longer than the famed Riverwalk in San Antonio.

They're still shooting for a May 2009 opening for the waterpark, then additional phases would open in 2010 and 2011.

If this comes completely together, it will blow people's minds away.
Indecision is the root of evil.
the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

They broke ground in September 2007

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily19.html

I believe 94th street is done and they are working on 98th street now.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Why am I thinking that the next phases don't get done. Seems like that happens a lot around here,.
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Why am I thinking that the next phases don't get done. Seems like that happens a lot around here,.
I blame Funk.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

They are starting on the Tidal Wave river next week.  The Waterpark foundations will quickly follow in phases.  Least is what I heard  :lol:
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

it'd be cool to see some aerial of this project...