Your opinion of Kansas City

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Your opinion of Kansas City

Post by GRID »

ComandanteCero wrote: Just pointing out... i think someone could compare urban KCK to areas of urban KCMO such as the Northeast, or large portions of midtown.  If people consider areas such as Hyde Park or Valentine or Roanoke as urban, urban KCK can be thrown in there as well.  They aren't particularly dense in either case, but you have a mixture of uses, densities and retail within walking distance.  Not to mention it doesn't make sense to separate KCK from KCMO's urban area.  On the metro level the urban core extends to both sides of the state line.
I agree with you, but I don't think KCK offers a full "urban" package without it being next to KCMO.  I mean it's older and has areas where homes are closer to together and is a definite alternative to suburban living but it's lacking in many areas that would make it a desirable "choice" for somebody looking to live in an "urban" environment.  Plus, the building stock in KCK is quite a bit different than KCMO.  KCMO has far more diversity in its building stock.  There are areas of urban KCMO that are similar to KCK, such as along troost and meyer, but there are so many areas of KCMO that simply do not exist in KCK and I'm not talking about the plaza, downtown or crown center. Nearly everything in KCK is single family for example, where very large parts of midtown and NE KCMO have a lot of three story apartment buildings and even midrise apartment corridors. Urban KCK is simply not as built up as urban KCMO.  There are parts of "urban" KCMO that I have a hard time calling urban too all along the east side and south east side there are some areas that actually look quite a bit like urban KCK.  Urban, but low density sprawl, horrible infrastructure (no sidewalks, curbs etc) and too many oversized or empty lots.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter.  I pull for urban KCK, I just don't see much happening anytime soon.

Here is an example of what I would call an urban area outside a core city:

I think KCK could be like this if it wanted to.

advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

How is the quality of life? Quality of life is high and for the most part easy. You get a lot more for your money than in many other cities (this comes with a price though which is referenced under dislikes.)  Housing, and getting around (by car), things to do are great. For those with children there are some very good school districts, and recreational opportunity are commensurate with the geography: lakes & lake homes a couple of hours away.

What are your likes? The resurgent city that has a first class arts scene, theaters in the park, a great symphony, a spectacular ballet company, a solid jazz and blues presence

Dislikes? The City and many of its inhabitants have an inferiority complex given to self deprecation, and a sense that other glamor cities have everything that KC doesn't (which isn't completely true, because you can find nearly equivalent metro experiences in Kansas City that other highly esteemed cities have.)

Transit needs major improvement

Tell me how KC fares in comparison to other cities you've been to. All replies appreciated.

I've asked a question of myself when I visit other cities- "If I lived here would I get to do that.."

For example: If I lived in Washington, DC would I have a cabin cruiser on the Potomac, and would I attend black-tie events at the Kennedy Center or the White House - probably not.

If I lived in New York would I have a house like I have in Kansas City with its space, and comfort -absolutely not. Nor would I be going to every Broadway show that opens there. I doubt I'd be a regular at Central Park either.

If I lived in LA would I shop on Rodeo Drive or hang out with the famous in Laurel Canyon - I'd be dreaming. Where I would live would be some place like Torrance trying to convince myself that this was a good life, and that I was upwardly mobile, and rationalize that at least I get the California climate.

I could go on and on. Bottom line is for most people, living anywhere is going to have a baseline of earning a living and a routine that doesn't change very much day to day. There was a time when I thought KC didn't have a lot to offer. The problem with my thinking then was that I didn't focus very much effort to see what wonderful things there are to do in my home town. I have found out that there aren't enough days in the week to do everything that is both fun, a once in life or on rare occasion opportunity. In many instances it is easy to get close and personal with major happenings. The challenge is staying tuned to what's happening. In two weeks I will see President Clinton.

The next City I'm going to mention and comment on was just selected at random, as an example. And in no way am I suggesting that it isn't a great city:Denver. But aside from the view of the mountains, and the easy access to skiing in the winter, what does Denver offer or have over Kansas City?  I don't think there is that much.
Chazarelli
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Chazarelli »

Maitre D wrote:

Good:  it's very cheap, the weather is very good IMO with nice change of seasons and tons of sunshine.  Decent job market, has pro sports (sort of) and the Plaza is great.  People are mostly friendly.  Airfare is very cheap.  Cultural attractions very good for city this size.   Food is outstanding.  No joke on that.
How do you consider Kansas City to sort of having pro sports?  The Chiefs are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL, and consistently put amazing product on the field.  The Royals have been consistently bad since the 1990's (with the exception of 2003), but it is still a professional sports team.  The Kansas City Wizards won the MLS soccer championship three years ago, and are currently the number one team in THE ENTIRE MLS.  The Kansas City Brigade, in their 2nd year of existence has clenched home field advantage for the playoffs, and is thought of as one of the most dangerous teams in the league.  The T-Bones are a professional sports team and happen to be pretty good themselves. 

It seems as though you are just a very ignorant person all around...
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Chazarelli wrote: How do you consider Kansas City to sort of having pro sports?  The Chiefs are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL, and consistently put amazing product on the field.  The Royals have been consistently bad since the 1990's (with the exception of 2003), but it is still a professional sports team.  The Kansas City Wizards won the MLS soccer championship three years ago, and are currently the number one team in THE ENTIRE MLS.  The Kansas City Brigade, in their 2nd year of existence has clenched home field advantage for the playoffs, and is thought of as one of the most dangerous teams in the league.  The T-Bones are a professional sports team and happen to be pretty good themselves. 

=D> =D>
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

advocrat wrote:

The next City I'm going to mention and comment on was just selected at random, as an example. And in no way am I suggesting that it isn't a great city:Denver. But aside from the view of the mountains, and the easy access to skiing in the winter, what does Denver offer or have over Kansas City?  I don't think there is that much.

I agree with you - I've lived in several very interesting cities and it all boils down to what you refer to as the "baseline", getting up and hauling you butt to work every day.  What I consider to be a high quality of life is to be able to get around to what my city has to offer with relative ease, whether that's by car, bike or rail.  I do enjoy the beautiful mountain sunsets here in Denver, but my life would be the same in KC if I lived there.  Although I do enjoy the humidity-free climate and fewer bugs compared to KC. 
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

DefaultAlias wrote: ^^^Lol

I'm not trying to live in the suburban area just yet, seeing as I'm still single and childless (thank God).
Well, Kansas City is one of the worst places for single people.  I know so many people who move to STL for the singles crowd.  The Kansas City Star even did a special on it a year or so ago about it. 
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Chazarelli wrote: The Chiefs are one of the most storied franchises in the NFL, and consistently put amazing product on the field. 

Sometimes, I like to just let a post stand on its own.  With no response needed.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chazarelli wrote:
You catch on fast.

Truth is MD doesn't believe 1/2 of what he just posted. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

"I've made it perfectly clear which city I rep." 
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

My opinion is strongly biased.

Personally I believe KC is great for living and horrible for visiting, unless you are from a rural area.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

supastudio wrote: Well, Kansas City is one of the worst places for single people.  I know so many people who move to STL for the singles crowd.  The Kansas City Star even did a special on it a year or so ago about it. 
?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

supastudio wrote: Well, Kansas City is one of the worst places for single people.  I know so many people who move to STL for the singles crowd.  The Kansas City Star even did a special on it a year or so ago about it. 
saint louis has a lot of independently wealthy divorcees, if thats what the star meant. otherwise.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

What makes it bad for a single adult? You can say that about any city in the US. for any city to realy prospher it takes all types. The single Adult has as much right to live in a city as a married couple.
As far as my likes of KC
It is very easy to get around in I have driven in KC many a time and I love the experiance. Also the hidden gems are something to see.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I moved here from Chicago about 8 months ago.  I've got two kids, third due in August, and we are in NE Johnson County.  We moved entirely to be close to family, and I was fortunate to keep my same job, and I'm now working at home.

Do you want to move primarily for climate change?  I'd always thought of Minneapolis as a pretty nice city.  It would be helpful to know what you're looking for in leaving.

I'm still trying to maintain a positive attitude about KC, and I figure I gotta give myself about 5 years to warm up to a place, but man, I don't recall who posted about there not being much day-to-day difference.  Wow, I don't find that to be true at all.  Granted, working at home is a big personal change, but still...

First, the cost of living issue is really about housing.  We sold a nice but modest 2 BR condo in Albany Park (heavy immigrant, "on the rise" neighborhood, we were also quite close to very trendy Lincoln Square) and for just a bit more purchased a 4 BR home with a big yard in Mission.  Huge difference in the amount of house for your money.

But.  My mortgage payment is not any lower, and home ownership has a lot of additional costs, some financial, many in time.  Even the hour or two it takes to mow my lawn is an hour or two more than before.  That's not taking into account cleaning gutters, fixing leaky roofs, spraying for bugs, maintaining the deck, trimming trees, landscaping, etc., etc.  I spend my "free" time a lot differently than I used to.

And house-for-the-money aside, I don't really see the cost of living as cheaper.  Restaurants on average are cheaper, but they're also much worse (BBQ excepted) and a much worse value for the money.  If you want a $500 per person meal, you can hardly get it here (and I haven't either place so can't compare).  Your $100 per person value is much better in Chicago.  And on the low end, you can find all sorts of great restaurants where you can eat a meal for 5 bucks or less.  Here, you've got people standing in line for a 1/2 hour for free Chipotle.  Okay, that's a cheap shot, people would do that in Chicago too, I'm sure, but I found that I could eat at restaurants (or takeout) a lot better for a lot cheaper in Chicago than here.  And there aren't many places here where you can BYO with no corkage.

Groceries, too.  The chains here are much better and somewhat cheaper than in Chicago, but I never shopped at the chains there.  Here, I don't have much choice.  The farmer's markets here are more expensive for the really good stuff and with much, much less to offer.

Good cheese costs sometimes twice as much per pound here, there's only a handful of options, and turnover is so low your quality is markedly worse.

Wine is going to cost you anywhere from $2-5 more for the same bottle.

You can tell where my priorities lie.  :)

But it's not just food.  I'm lucky I work at home, so we didn't have to buy a second car.  If we did, that price would have far surpassed the $75 pre-tax I payed for a monthly CTA pass that gave me access to the whole city.  There are about 4 bars within a pretty easy walk of my house (more other places, but that's actually pretty good for JoCo I think).  If I go to Harry's in the City Market, I'm driving 20 minutes, a cab would probably be $40 if I could get it easily, and if I drive I'm facing the prospect of sobriety checkpoints on weekends.  Choose your location carefully if you like to visit bars.

It costs me $118 for a round-trip plane ticket from MCI to Midway.  It costs $100 round-trip for the KCI Shuttle to take me from my home to the airport.  Gas is cheaper here, but we use a hell of a lot more gas.

I haven't had a chance to explore all KC's cultural attractions yet or wander all the neighborhoods, and I'm sure there is some good value.  But if you want to see a first-class Shakespeare performance or good independent theater, my sense is that it's going to cost you a plane ticket and hotel stay on top of the cost of the show.  (I will say the Nelson-Atkins is first class, even before the addition.)

Most music acts I'm interested in (or have thought about being interested in) passed through Chicago, often regularly.  Not so here.

In Chicago, there is tons of FREE stuff to do.  For example, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra summer series at Grant Park.  My point is, you can be very entertained there for very little money.  I think there's lots of free stuff here too, but let's just say the Mission Arts and Eats Festival doesn't really stack up to the Chicago Folk & Roots Festival (okay, I think they request a $5 donation).

I don't mean to just sit here and bag on Kansas City, but it drives me nuts when people talk about how cheap it is to live here.  Very few people would buy the same size living space here they had in Chicago (or Minneapolis or wherever) and chalk up the savings to cheaper cost of living.  Lower cost of living means a bigger house and more land for the same amount of money.

Oh, and schools.  If you live in the city in Chicago, you may want to send your kids to private school (though not as much as KCMO), and that's quite a bit more, I think.

The other dominant feature that was really surprising to me upon investigating the move is how freaking balkanized this metro area is.  The state line and Mason Dixon line splits here have quite a lingering legacy, far as I can tell.  It seems like the area has so much potential, it has such rich history, and there's some momentum toward progress.  But I'm absolutely shocked at the sort of inertia and conflict politically, and especially culturally, mostly between KCMO and Johnson County, but even with the Missouri burbs and KCK to a lesser extent.  You can see this stuff all over these boards.  I don't know if I quite realized that most people here in JoCo don't want bars within walking distance of their home.  Or any retail business establishment.  That may be changing a little, but the anti-JoCo faction is still going to spew "too cool for school" nonsense to the west.  It's petty and aggravating.

On the plus side, people seem to really like it here.  My neighbors are quite nice, and it's nice to have neighbors with whom you can be neighborly.  A few years down the road, maybe "a slower pace of life" will be an advantage.  And best of all, my kids are much more accessible to their grandparents.  There are a lot less people, less traffic, and it's less busy--That appeals to many people, and I can't criticize that.  Compared to other similar-sized cities, I can't really offer any insight.  I have no reason to think KC is much worse, but I sure look forward to my regular trips back to Chicago.

[By the way, no idea about the singles scene here...I certainly hope Jen Chen's Night Ranger column in The Pitch is a poor representation of said scene.  You may want to check it out.]
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Chazarelli wrote: The Kansas City Wizards won the MLS soccer championship seven years ago, and are currently the number three team in THE ENTIRE MLS. 
I hate to be nitpicky but that was bothering me.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

AJoD wrote: I moved here from Chicago about 8 months ago.  I've got two kids, third due in August, and we are in NE Johnson County.  We moved entirely to be close to family, and I was fortunate to keep my same job, and I'm now working at home.

I'm still trying to maintain a positive attitude about KC, and I figure I gotta give myself about 5 years to warm up to a place, but man, I don't recall who posted about there not being much day-to-day difference.  Wow, I don't find that to be true at all.  Granted, working at home is a big personal change, but still...

First, the cost of living issue is really about housing.  We sold a nice but modest 2 BR condo in Albany Park (heavy immigrant, "on the rise" neighborhood, we were also quite close to very trendy Lincoln Square) and for just a bit more purchased a 4 BR home with a big yard in Mission.  Huge difference in the amount of house for your money.
Moving anywhere takes a year or so to acclimate. Some of the changes you have made are going to make you take a little longer maybe. You moved from a fairly urban area to a fairly suburban area. You won't find the same things in those areas.
But.  My mortgage payment is not any lower, and home ownership has a lot of additional costs, some financial, many in time.  Even the hour or two it takes to mow my lawn is an hour or two more than before.  That's not taking into account cleaning gutters, fixing leaky roofs, spraying for bugs, maintaining the deck, trimming trees, landscaping, etc., etc.  I spend my "free" time a lot differently than I used to.
If you owned your home before and you spent "just a bit more"-you can't expect your mortgage to be cheaper, but I'll bet you will find both taxes and insurance cheaper on your new place. Did you buy a "fixer upper?" Sounds like you are spending a lot of time on that kind of thing. Of course if you owned before, you were spending some time on it too.
And house-for-the-money aside, I don't really see the cost of living as cheaper.  Restaurants on average are cheaper, but they're also much worse (BBQ excepted) and a much worse value for the money.  Your $100 per person value is much better in Chicago.  And on the low end, you can find all sorts of great restaurants where you can eat a meal for 5 bucks or less.  Here, you've got people standing in line for a 1/2 hour for free Chipotle. 
I think you are comparing neighborhood places to 'burb places. And for sure you will find less expensive places to eat in many neighborhoods than you will in the burbs if you look for independents.
Groceries, too.  The chains here are much better and somewhat cheaper than in Chicago, but I never shopped at the chains there.  Here, I don't have much choice.  The farmer's markets here are more expensive for the really good stuff and with much, much less to offer.
I think groceries here are awful. We are controlled by the big guys who only buy from AWG for the most part and so you can't always get some of even the more basic items-selection is poor. The prices are a bit more too IMHO or at least they were when we moved here from STL in 1998.

The independents seem to have a lot of "old" stuff a lot of the time as you say and the quality is sometimes not top notch for the prices.

Give the farmer's markets here a chance. This was a VERY bad winter for them. Things will be slim and cost more this year and I'll bet they will in Chicago too if they had the late freezes we did. Our City Market is top notch especially if you stay away from the perimeter. Just not as big, I'm sure.
Good cheese costs sometimes twice as much per pound here, there's only a handful of options, and turnover is so low your quality is markedly worse. Wine is going to cost you anywhere from $2-5 more for the same bottle.

All I can say is watch for sales. I've never noticed that, but you probably are correct. Especially if you are buying in an upscale area like the Plaza.
But it's not just food.  I'm lucky I work at home, so we didn't have to buy a second car.  If we did, that price would have far surpassed the $75 pre-tax I payed for a monthly CTA pass that gave me access to the whole city.  There are about 4 bars within a pretty easy walk of my house (more other places, but that's actually pretty good for JoCo I think).  If I go to Harry's in the City Market, I'm driving 20 minutes, a cab would probably be $40 if I could get it easily, and if I drive I'm facing the prospect of sobriety checkpoints on weekends.  Choose your location carefully if you like to visit bars.
Take a DD if you want to go to bars outside of walking distance. It's more fun with a group anyway. And the prime reason for taking a DD should be not driving when you have been drinking rather than fear of the sobriety checks. We live in the Northland, find the sobriety checks often. The biggest trouble we have is keeping the drunks in the back seat quiet while we go through. I am a primo DD.
It costs me $118 for a round-trip plane ticket from MCI to Midway.  It costs $100 round-trip for the KCI Shuttle to take me from my home to the airport.  Gas is cheaper here, but we use a hell of a lot more gas.

Most of that is because of where you live, but there has to be a less expensive way to get to the airport. I'll come and get you and take you back for $100. But keep in mind that the ticket FROM Midway to MCI costs the same so the plane ticket price is a wash. And if you are talking trips for your work, do you get reimbursed? My husband flies every week. We chose our place in the Northland because of that. We are 12 miles door to door from the gates. I can make a round trip on about a gallon of gas.
I haven't had a chance to explore all KC's cultural attractions yet or wander all the neighborhoods, and I'm sure there is some good value.  But if you want to see a first-class Shakespeare performance or good independent theater, my sense is that it's going to cost you a plane ticket and hotel stay on top of the cost of the show.  (I will say the Nelson-Atkins is first class, even before the addition.)
You are comparing a world class city with all it's cultural amenities with a middle tier city. Apples and oranges. KC has great amenities for the size of city we are and getting more all the time.
Most music acts I'm interested in (or have thought about being interested in) passed through Chicago, often regularly.  Not so here.
KC gets their share too. But Chicago is bigger.
In Chicago, there is tons of FREE stuff to do.  For example, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra summer series at Grant Park.  My point is, you can be very entertained there for very little money.  I think there's lots of free stuff here too, but let's just say the Mission Arts and Eats Festival doesn't really stack up to the Chicago Folk & Roots Festival (okay, I think they request a $5 donation).
There is free stuff here to do, but I'm not the one to tell you about it. I'll leave that to some of the others. As far as the two festivals mentioned-Apples and oranges again.
I don't mean to just sit here and bag on Kansas City, but it drives me nuts when people talk about how cheap it is to live here.  Very few people would buy the same size living space here they had in Chicago (or Minneapolis or wherever) and chalk up the savings to cheaper cost of living.  Lower cost of living means a bigger house and more land for the same amount of money.
Lower cost to me means apples and apples. Square foot to square foot. Taxes to taxes. Insurance to insurance. Groceries to groceries. Yes, if a bigger house for the same money is what you want, that is fine, but you have to compare it fairly and count your expenditure accordingly.
Oh, and schools.  If you live in the city in Chicago, you may want to send your kids to private school (though not as much as KCMO), and that's quite a bit more, I think.
You have to be choosy about your school districts here of course, but schools are good in many places here, even some in the KCMO district. I'm betting also, the private educations are cheaper here than Chicago.
The other dominant feature that was really surprising to me upon investigating the move is how freaking balkanized this metro area is.  The state line and Mason Dixon line splits here have quite a lingering legacy, far as I can tell.  It seems like the area has so much potential, it has such rich history, and there's some momentum toward progress.  But I'm absolutely shocked at the sort of inertia and conflict politically, and especially culturally, mostly between KCMO and Johnson County, but even with the Missouri burbs and KCK to a lesser extent.

I'll get roundly flamed for this, but I think you will find that the most conflict is from KCMO folk "telling" you what JOCO folk are saying about them. You can see this stuff all over these boards.
I don't know if I quite realized that most people here in JoCo don't want bars within walking distance of their home.  Or any retail business establishment.

Many of us are that way. We want our home to be peaceful and quiet and calm. We want the amenities around our homes to be parks and lakes and libraries, schools, etc.
That may be changing a little, but the anti-JoCo faction is still going to spew "too cool for school" nonsense to the west.  It's petty and aggravating.

I doubt it is changing, and I hope it is not except I think the anti JOCO folk need to calm down and pay attention to what is really happening rather than what they perceive to be happening. Yep, there are many of us who choose to live in other places than the city. They need to get over it. It's a fact of life.
On the plus side, people seem to really like it here.  My neighbors are quite nice, and it's nice to have neighbors with whom you can be neighborly.  A few years down the road, maybe "a slower pace of life" will be an advantage.  And best of all, my kids are much more accessible to their grandparents.  There are a lot less people, less traffic, and it's less busy--That appeals to many people, and I can't criticize that.  Compared to other similar-sized cities, I can't really offer any insight.  I have no reason to think KC is much worse, but I sure look forward to my regular trips back to Chicago.

We have the nicest neighbors I can ever hope to have. We do tons of things in our neighborhood and don't find a whole lot of reason to go elsewhere for entertainment daily.

OTOH-I hope you always enjoy your trips "home" to Chicago. I LOVE Chicago too. But I could never live there. Waaaaay too many people and too much hustle and bustle for me.

JMHO, I wonder if you might not have liked it better if you moved to a place closer in to the city more like what you were used to in Chicago.
Last edited by nota on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I've lived here for 6 years, after moving from small-town Kansas. I've lived abroad, in small and mid sized cities in Spain and Mexico, and spent a lot of vacations in major metropolises in the US and abroad, but KC is the biggest city I've ever lived in, so bear that in mind.  As I've gotten older, I've had more interest in spending my vacations in the outdoors, in the countryside, far from cities, which interest me less and less as my early 20's bright lights, big city romanticism wears off and my midwestern regionalism grows more strident and heartfelt.

That said, I think Chicago is the most interesting, most grounded and most well rounded city in the US. I don't think there is another place in this country that is any where near competitive for combining the midwestern cultural sensibilities I am attracted to with the amenities that only a major city can offer. But I don't want to live there, and the economic startification inherent in capitalist cities is the sole reason why. Living in KC, STL, Minny, Cleveland, etc. is much cheaper than Chicago, and the benefits of this extra disposable income is probably the single most important factor in where I live.

There are a million things that grate on my nerves about KC, and as many things that I find endearing. But, the more experience I have in the second teir cities of the midwest, the more I am convinced that the quotidian experience of living in them is pretty much the same. I have a particular love for the built environment of STL and Cincy, and a bizarre and largely inexplicable fascination with Cleveland (which combines the historic cultural weight of STL with a strikingly similar built environment to KC), but I wouldn't leave KC for any of them. I think you'll find that Chicago will trump any other midwestern city (or, in my opinion, any other city on earth) for finding a balance between the midwestern sense of space and functional, vibrant urban living. Otherwise, I think Minneapolis, KC, STL, Denver, Pittsburg, Milwaukee, et al. are pretty much like different trim packages of the same model car, and moving from one to another is more like a lateral transfer than a step up or down.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Thanks for your thoughts, nota.

Not a fixer-upper, just a 50-year old home.  Not a crazy ton of work, but regular maintenance.

If you think groceries here are awful, try Dominick's and Jewel in Chicago.  The Roeland Park Price Chopper and Fairway Hen House blow those stores out of the water.

The $118 is RT Chicago-KC vs. $100 RT Mission, KS-MCI...crazy.  I'm open to alternatives.  The KCI Shuttle actually just raised their prices.  Cabs are even more.  I do get reimbursed, and $228 altogether is not a bad deal.  The distribution astounds me.  And it's partly a function of where I live, but you can get a lot further from MCI than NE JoCo.

Listen, I don't mean to suggest anything other than that comparing Chicago to KC is apples-to-oranges.  And I don't mean to be bitching about my new home...it's not like I didn't know what we were doing, and there were compelling reasons to move.  But the original poster is leaving Minneapolis, works in Minneapolis and Chicago, and is considering a move to KC. A comparison to Chicago seemed in order, and I mostly want to point out that, housing cost per square foot aside (and notably private schools), KC doesn't seem much cheaper to me than Chicago.

[Quote="nota"][Quote="AJoD"]I don't know if I quite realized that most people here in JoCo don't want bars within walking distance of their home.  Or any retail business establishment.[/quote]

Many of us are that way. We want our home to be peaceful and quiet and calm. We want the amenities around our homes to be parks and lakes and libraries, schools, etc.[/quote]

Key point of preference, at least on the peaceful, quiet, calm part.  Do you want an urban neighborhood or a subdivision?  We were surrounded by great parks, a beautiful lake, and terrific libraries, all quite easy to get to, the parks and the libraries without a car even.  And bike trails through forest preserves and our neighborhood.  And bike lanes on the streets.  The Chicago Parks District is incredible in its amount, quality, and price of programming for children.

(Another aside and small rant: For all its "kid-friendliness" I have thus far not found that the case in JoCo.  I find Chuck E. Cheese an affront to kids and those who raise them. (I concede my kids don't feel the same way.  :lol:)  Rather, it seems to me there's a huge separation between "people with kids" and "people without kids"...there are a lot of activities for "people with kids", but man, most of them are so over-the-top kid-oriented they're painful for adults.  Shortly after we moved they had ads on TV with a little girl begging for soccer fields like a starving child begging for a bowl of rice.  It was disgusting.  Have you seen all the summer camps they advertise around here?  On the other side, adults in Westport or at First Fridays in the Crossroads (gross generalization) seem somewhat less tolerant of families.  Libraries, parks, and parks district programming here for kids has--surprisingly--proven to be a major step down.)

We initially did want an urban neighborhood in KC.  When we started looking, I was dead set on Brookside, but ultimately it was impossible to find a house that would easily accomodate a home office, three kids, was affordable, and wasn't 100 years old.  And moreover, the "urbanness" of this most urban, family-friendly neighborhood still seemed like such a big change, that we figured, what the heck, let's embrace change whole-heartedly.

Our Mission (Countryside) location is still a pretty good compromise...it's relatively convenient to most parts of the metro except the MO burbs, and I'm a short walk from Johnson Dr., which has a little life and, while not an urban feel by any means, a small town retail/residential community feel that I enjoy.  There's plenty to explore throughout the metro, and I enjoy doing so.  And Mission has ambitious plans that I hope we're able to realize.

I was open to Volker/Valentine/Hyde Park, etc., but my wife not so much, and honestly, I liked the idea of these places much more than the places themselves.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chingon wrote: I've lived here for 6 years, after moving from small-town Kansas. I've lived abroad, in small and mid sized cities in Spain and Mexico, and spent a lot of vacations in major metropolises in the US and abroad, but KC is the biggest city I've ever lived in, so bear that in mind.  As I've gotten older, I've had more interest in spending my vacations in the outdoors, in the countryside, far from cities, which interest me less and less as my early 20's bright lights, big city romanticism wears off and my midwestern regionalism grows more strident and heartfelt.
I really relate to that.  My vacations now are just as likely to be in Colorado or the Ozarks, as they are in Chicago.

That said, I think Chicago is the most interesting, most grounded and most well rounded city in the US. I don't think there is another place in this country that is any where near competitive for combining the midwestern cultural sensibilities I am attracted to with the amenities that only a major city can offer. But I don't want to live there,

Same here.

Living in KC, STL, Minny, Cleveland, etc. is much cheaper than Chicago, and the benefits of this extra disposable income is probably the single most important factor in where I live.

Remember, Monster.com says that you're not suffering much by moving to Chicago.  Diff between making 55K and 60K.  See AJod's post on living costs: they're mostly about housing, not day-to day.

And these COL surveys are baloney anyway.  You can find deals wherever you go in the USA.  It's like buying a car:  there's sticker price.  Then....there's the actual price.  Only fools pay sticker.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Key point of preference, at least on the peaceful, quiet, calm part.  Do you want an urban neighborhood or a subdivision?  We were surrounded by great parks, a beautiful lake, and terrific libraries, all quite easy to get to, the parks and the libraries without a car even.  And bike trails through forest preserves and our neighborhood.  And bike lanes on the streets.  The Chicago Parks District is incredible in its amount, quality, and price of programming for children.
Speaking only for myself, I want the subdivision although your area sounds great. The Northland is pretty great too actually. I'm just not an urban type.

(Another aside and small rant: For all its "kid-friendliness" I have thus far not found that the case in JoCo.  I find Chuck E. Cheese an affront to kids and those who raise them. (I concede my kids don't feel the same way.  )  Rather, it seems to me there's a huge separation between "people with kids" and "people without kids"...there are a lot of activities for "people with kids", but man, most of them are so over-the-top kid-oriented they're painful for adults.  Shortly after we moved they had ads on TV with a little girl begging for soccer fields like a starving child begging for a bowl of rice.  It was disgusting.  Have you seen all the summer camps they advertise around here?  On the other side, adults in Westport or at First Fridays in the Crossroads (gross generalization) seem somewhat less tolerant of families.  Libraries, parks, and parks district programming here for kids has--surprisingly--proven to be a major step down.)
Chuck E Cheese is indeed awful although I think their pizza is good.

As far as the urban folk being less kid or family friendly, you are seeing the same things I see. But then, they don't want anyone not of their same mindset cluttering up their "scene."

I remember the soccer ads. Yes, I'm betting that little girl grows up hating her parents for making her do those commercials.

Admittedly I know little about the programs for kids in KC and especially JOCO, but surely there are some things that are good.

When I moved here from the 'burbs of West County STL, it took a good 2 years for me to begin to like it here and enjoy the things that were here. It is too easy to compare with what you had and then you get nostalgic and then you get dissatisfied and then it starts all over again.

I found the library here to be less than what I was used to in STL and definitely less than what I was used to in Indiana, but now I'm used to it and it is fine. The Mid Continent libraries seem to have lots of programs for kids of all ages although I haven't really studied them with an eye for taking my kids to them.

The kids in my neighborhood run from toddler to teenagers. They always seem to be busy. Organized things like ball leagues and music lessons and summer school, scouts, etc. Street hockey, skateboarding, bikes, etc at home.

Our zoo is definitely less than spectacular when compared to either STL or probably Chicago's, but how many times does a family go to the zoo over the course of a year?

I see limos at the airport all the time when I'm dropping off hubby. I wonder what they charge. I had no idea that shuttle was so expensive. For those prices they should carry you on a pillow.
Last edited by nota on Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.