Lyric Opera operations moving to Crossroads

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Lyric Opera operations moving to Crossroads

Post by DaveKCMO »

Lyric Opera sells its theater
On Wednesday, the Lyric sold the 81-year-old Lyric Theatre, which has been its home since 1972, to DST Realty for about $2 million. On Thursday, the Lyric bought three large buildings at 18th and Charlotte streets that will house rehearsal halls, scene-building shops, costume and makeup studios, and administrative offices.

The company will continue to perform at the Lyric Theatre until early 2010, when it will begin staging productions at the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.

The sale, however, will relieve the company of the cost of maintaining the facility at 11th and Central streets.
Tom McDonnell, DST president and CEO, said his firm had no immediate plans for the old theater or the surrounding block.

But he said the company wanted to help the opera and other arts groups that perform there during the transition period before they begin using the new performing arts center.

“I don’t think the long-term use is likely to be theater,” McDonnell said. “Once it’s clear they’re in their new home, we can rethink how to use the property.

“By then, the impact of the Sprint Center and Power & Light District will be more clear. There may be some use we don’t anticipate that could develop.”
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Lyric Opera operations moving to Crossroads

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I hope I'm not the only one that gets a little anxious, if not downright upset that the future of the Lyric is not as a theater.  I'm all for the Kaufman Center, but I cringe at the idea of the inside of the Lyric being mutilated.

I'm quite nervous about this...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I hope I'm not the only one that gets a little anxious, if not downright upset that the future of the Lyric is not as a theater.  I'm all for the Kaufman Center, but I cringe at the idea of the inside of the Lyric being mutilated.

indeed, but it's not like the Midland or Uptown, which both have great acoustics, sight lines, and fabulous interiors. as long as it doesn't get turned into a parking garage, we'll be fine.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

it hasn't always been a theater has it? Wasn't it an masonic lodge or something before the Lyric moved in? 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I hope I'm not the only one that gets a little anxious, if not downright upset that the future of the Lyric is not as a theater.  I'm all for the Kaufman Center, but I cringe at the idea of the inside of the Lyric being mutilated.

I really don't think we need to be nervous.  DST has renovated a lot of unique and historic buildings.  They have been extremely well thought out and executed.  If you have creative ideas for it's reuse, either as a theatre or otherwise you should let them know.  Sounds like we've got a couple of years to dream up solutions.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Is channel 9 still going to operate out of there?  I guess I haven't paid attention; are they even operating out of there now?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Is channel 9 still going to operate out of there?  I guess I haven't paid attention; are they even operating out of there now?
They are moving at the end of the month I believe somewhere off 435.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

lock+load wrote: They are moving at the end of the month I believe somewhere off 435.
Thats too bad - I always gave them credit for staying in the loop.  I would have thought that with all of the renewed DT activity, at least one of the stations would want to stick around to capitalize.  I guess this probably means that Channel 9 will probably end their practice of sending one of their "field" reporters over a couple of blocks to do a "remote" in front of the courthouse for every crime story they don't have footage for. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I always thought the Lyric would make a great upscale club, like ones from the 30s w/ the huge swings that models swing on and rose peddle floating around...haha.  I don't remember where, but I saw that in a movie somewhere (Goodfellas?)  It could be a club where you have to wear a tux or a catour dress...a different idea.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Here is our *very* lengthy thread on KMBC's move to the southeast side and all of the associated discussion.

http://forum.kcrag.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1507.0

What I wonder about the reuse of the Lyric building is whether it will be become private space like offices or housing, or if remains a public space with some other sort of art/entertainment use.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've been worried about the fate of the Lyric ever since talk of the PAC began.

After some consideration, I think the Lyric could be saved if the 1000-room convention hotel that is planned is built at 11th and Wyandotte and the Lyric could be attached and used as a ballroom and event space for the hotel.  The hotel could also book performances into the space.  Another alternative is for the Marriott to use the space for the same purpose.

Another alternative would be to place a B.B. Kings' Blues Club or House of Blues nightclub in that space instead of in the P&L District.  It would be an ideal setup since it already has a stage, seating, ticket office, and balcony.  The Lyric is in fairly decent shape already, so there wouldn't have to be a lot of renovation, which is what might have made the Empire Theater so daunting for consideration of those clubs in the past.

In the meantime, DST can rent it out for graduation ceremonies and perhaps some convention gatherings.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I always thought it would be a great space for non-profit performing arts groups to use for offices, meeting and performance space.  Gather in a lot of smaller groups to share space. They could not only have performances, but teach, and do a lot of commuity related activities.  Make it a real arts space. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Perhaps now that the Midland is changing format DST will consider a renovation of the Lyric to be used for cultural arts events that are too small for the Music Hall.  I would love to see the Lyric block used for a new mid/high-rise structure tied to the office portion that KMBC will be vacating and a restoration of the theater itself.   
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Lyric Opera gets federal boost for new Crossroads complex
It?s showtime for the Lyric Opera?s new administrative and production complex in the Crossroads Arts District, thanks to a federal incentive that?s yielded $3 million for the project.

The boost from the New Market Tax Credit program, the first awarded locally for a cultural endeavor, will secure financing for the first phase of the $13.1 million project, the renovation of a former boat manufacturing building at 18th and Charlotte streets.
Work already is well under way on renovating the building at 712 E. 18th St. The Lyric expects to occupy the space and begin construction on sets in early August for its first performance.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nice.  this will be a great addition to the east crossroads.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

good news but it sure would've been nice if they could've built a new building along Main and create some badly needed infill in xroads.  a boost for e xroads nevertheless.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Surely I am missing something, but the article seems to indicate that they are spending $437 psf on this project. ($13.1 m into 30,000sf)

That can not be.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

If I'm reading correctly, the Star says it's a $13.1m project and included two buildings on Holmes as well as the 30,000sf main building.  The buildings on Holmes were demolished and a new building will be put up.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The building to be demo'ed is no loss.  However the new building looks pretty underwhelming by that rendering:

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Midtownkid wrote: The building to be demo'ed is no loss.  However the new building looks pretty underwhelming by that rendering:

I'm pretty sure this building is just a renovation/reuse of the existing building at the site. This image is not one of the new buildings.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James