Paris Hilton already out of jail

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Paris Hilton already out of jail

Post by tat2kc »

What the holy hell is going on? What a joke!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/0 ... index.html
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Paris Hilton already out of jail

Post by kcmetro »

Medical considerations "played a part" in the decision to offer Hilton home confinement for the remainder of her sentence, Whitmore said.

Must've been on the rag.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this used to be the last place on the planet a person could go without any talk of paris hilton. thanks, tat.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I wonder if anyone of our "lawyer types" here know the EXACT charges. I thought she was caught DUI for the 2nd time while violating her probation. TV news leads me to think otherwise.

In any event, this is wrongwrongwrong!! Just serve your time and go on about your life, Paris.

I'd love to see what person in jail who is her age with similar charges would get out "for medical reasons."

Not that I ever had any respect for her, but now I have less. She should take a page from Martha Stewart's book.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

They announced yesterday she will be heading back to jail today, apparently they are still going to make her go back.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

tat2kc wrote: What the holy hell is going on? What a joke!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/0 ... index.html

[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: I wonder if anyone of our "lawyer types" here know the EXACT charges. I thought she was caught DUI for the 2nd time while violating her probation. TV news leads me to think otherwise.
I believe the current time served is for probation violation.
nota wrote: I'd love to see what person in jail who is her age with similar charges would get out "for medical reasons."
DUI's and such are usually served in municipal or county jails which can be a hell of a lot more slackass in their operations than state pens.  This sort of operation is probably a lot more common than you would think at this level. 
nota wrote: Not that I ever had any respect for her, but now I have less. She should take a page from Martha Stewart's book.
She should add felonious securities violations to her rap sheet?  No one should emulate the character of an unapologetic thief. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:

She should add felonious securities violations to her rap sheet?  No one should emulate the character of an unapologetic thief. 
I'm not speaking to Martha's character. I'm speaking of her just going to jail, serving her time and going on about her life. Of course I think she was guilty. Of course I think she would do it again if given half a chance. But those things are true about Paris too. It is just that Martha faced her punishment in a mature way and put it behind her.

As far as Martha's crime, she IMHO was just made a scapegoat for things she did that happen every day. Yes, she should have 'fessed up and taken her punishment. She didn't 'fess up, but she did the time. And she did it because her character wouldn't let her do otherwise. You see, Martha wasn't raised with a silver spoon in her mouth like Paris was. Doesn't excuse what she did at all but it does show that a better upbringing brings out some character in a person's foundation.

Actually, I never liked Martha very well before she went to jail. I have a bit of respect for her now.

If Paris were my daughter, I wouldn't be doing the Kathy Hilton whining. I'd be telling my daughter to go back to serve her time and SHUT UP about it.

Just for fun, how many prisoners who were sentenced to 45 days in jail for whatever crime, had it reduced to 20 something would be getting let out after 3 days for "medical reasons?"

The whole thing makes the legal system in LA seem like even more of a joke than it probably is.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

newsflash - rich, spoiled, celebrity trash are treated differently than the common person!  film at 11!

seriously, i cannot fucking believe that ANYONE (let alone "reputable" news outlets) is picking up on this story.  if i opened up a window and chucked a stale bagel onto the sidewalk, that would be more significant than this story.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: As far as Martha's crime, she IMHO was just made a scapegoat for things she did that happen every day. Yes, she should have 'fessed up and taken her punishment. She didn't 'fess up, but she did the time. And she did it because her character wouldn't let her do otherwise. You see, Martha wasn't raised with a silver spoon in her mouth like Paris was. Doesn't excuse what she did at all but it does show that a better upbringing brings out some character in a person's foundation.

Actually, I never liked Martha very well before she went to jail. I have a bit of respect for her now.
What Martha did was a form of stealing.  Yes it happens everyday.  However the reason it happens everyday is that the federal government has given nearly exclusive jurisdiction to a tiny agency that has next to no manpower to enforce the law - thus their only form of deterence is to go after the highest profile cases they can.  Yes she may have been made an example out of - but the fact that she stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from the other shareholders in that company should never be trivialized.  The media tried to spin her crime as if she just made some innocent mistake like rolling through a redlight.  She stole a ton of money!  Just because other people get away with it doesn't mean we should feel sorry for her!
nota wrote: how many prisoners who were sentenced to 45 days in jail for whatever crime, had it reduced to 20 something would be getting let out after 3 days for "medical reasons?"

The whole thing makes the legal system in LA seem like even more of a joke than it probably is.
No one here is going to have exact stats for you but this really isn't all that remarkable - county and municpal jails are slackass all over the county.  There are probably dozens of people basically on a waiting list for half a year or more to serve their DUI time at the JoCo jail.  I have heard stories of DUI convicts being turned away at one local county jail and told to come back another time because they didn't have their paperwork properly filled out.  
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I am voting for a Meteor to hit Paris' home and end all of this.  The collateral damage would be a couple of hundred "reporters" who are almost as sick and sad as the public who obsess about this crap.  Come on giant meteor...    :shock:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: newsflash - rich, spoiled, celebrity trash are treated differently than the common person!  film at 11!

seriously, i cannot fucking believe that ANYONE (let alone "reputable" news outlets) is picking up on this story.  if i opened up a window and chucked a stale bagel onto the sidewalk, that would be more significant than this story.
I'm be more inclined to say I can't believe that ANYONE is NOT picking up on this story.  While I agree it's hardly newsworthy (well maybe, but only to show the power of celebrity), I never had much faith in news agencies not to follow it.  If it makes you feel any better......it's also been picked up by the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6732915.stm
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

While the fact that Paris is skank, and not newsworthy, the larger debate is newsworthy. Her sentence was reduced before she even started. And DESPITE the judges order to the contrary, law enforcement allowed her out in the middle of the night. Then, when ordered to appear in court, Paris decides, and the sherrif's dept. agreed, that she really didn't need to go to the courthouse, she could just do a "teleconference" , until the judge directed the sherrif's dept. to go get her and bring her in.

The fact that she's young, white, rich and a "celebrity" as opposed to anyone else, does call into question the fairness of the judicial system, and that is a major issue in america.  Was her medical condition so severe, worse than cancer, heart disease, AIDS, and other life threatening illnesses? What she so ill, that she could go home, order food from the local bakery? And the cops show up to bring her in, and then wait hours so she can get ready to leave?  These are legitimate concerns, and the fact that its Paris Hilton shows just how wide the gulf is between those of privilege, and those without. It is most disturbing.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

tat2kc wrote: And DESPITE the judges order to the contrary, law enforcement allowed her out in the middle of the night. Then, when ordered to appear in court, Paris decides, and the sherrif's dept. agreed, that she really didn't need to go to the courthouse, she could just do a "teleconference" , until the judge directed the sherrif's dept. to go get her and bring her in.
Sounds to me like Paris gave a couple bj's in order to get out.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

tat2kc wrote: While the fact that Paris is skank, and not newsworthy, the larger debate is newsworthy. Her sentence was reduced before she even started. And DESPITE the judges order to the contrary, law enforcement allowed her out in the middle of the night. Then, when ordered to appear in court, Paris decides, and the sherrif's dept. agreed, that she really didn't need to go to the courthouse, she could just do a "teleconference" , until the judge directed the sherrif's dept. to go get her and bring her in.

The fact that she's young, white, rich and a "celebrity" as opposed to anyone else, does call into question the fairness of the judicial system, and that is a major issue in america.  Was her medical condition so severe, worse than cancer, heart disease, AIDS, and other life threatening illnesses? What she so ill, that she could go home, order food from the local bakery? And the cops show up to bring her in, and then wait hours so she can get ready to leave?   These are legitimate concerns, and the fact that its Paris Hilton shows just how wide the gulf is between those of privilege, and those without. It is most disturbing.

For the third time. . . before getting up in arms about "special treatment" for Paris, try going to observe the municipal/county incarceration process in any major city in the country (DUI in particular) and see just how many of them you find that aren't run like keystone cop operations.  You will find waiting lists to get in, prisoners checking in and out seemingly at will, questionable work release programs, you name it.  Our society lacks both the will and the means to seriously punish people for driving drunk. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: What Martha did was a form of stealing.  Yes it happens everyday.  However the reason it happens everyday is that the federal government has given nearly exclusive jurisdiction to a tiny agency that has next to no manpower to enforce the law - thus their only form of deterence is to go after the highest profile cases they can.  Yes she may have been made an example out of - but the fact that she stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from the other shareholders in that company should never be trivialized.  The media tried to spin her crime as if she just made some innocent mistake like rolling through a redlight.  She stole a ton of money!  Just because other people get away with it doesn't mean we should feel sorry for her!

WHERE ON EARTH DID I SAY SHE DIDN'T DO THE CRIME OR THAT SHE WAS INNOCENT??????? I SAID THE OPPOSITE IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO EVEN READ MY POST.

I know full well she did a heinous crime for someone in her position - as I said, she was guilty. Innocent mistake??? Hardly.

WHERE ON EARTH DID I SAY ANYONE SHOULD FEEL SORRY FOR HER???????????

I stated my thoughts quite clearly. Sorry your comprehension skills are lacking. But your attempts at trying to put words in my mouth do not go unnoticed. GEEEEZ!!!!!!! Get a grip!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to reply to my posts and quote my words, please at least read them first!
No one here is going to have exact stats for you but this really isn't all that remarkable - county and municpal jails are slackass all over the county.  There are probably dozens of people basically on a waiting list for half a year or more to serve their DUI time at the JoCo jail.  I have heard stories of DUI convicts being turned away at one local county jail and told to come back another time because they didn't have their paperwork properly filled out. 

One more time, read my words-I asked about someone SENTENCED and having already REPORTED to jail being let out for "medical reasons." Apples and oranges once again.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote:
WHERE ON EARTH DID I SAY SHE DIDN'T DO THE CRIME OR THAT SHE WAS INNOCENT??????? 

WHERE ON EARTH DID I SAY ANYONE SHOULD FEEL SORRY FOR HER???????????
You called her a scapegoat which would mean she was both overcharged and worthy of sympathy. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote:

One more time, read my words-I asked about someone SENTENCED and having already REPORTED to jail being let out for "medical reasons." Apples and oranges once again.

dozens of people on a daily basis.  Some of them murderers and rapists, no less. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You called her a scapegoat which would mean she was both overcharged and worthy of sympathy. 
GIMME A BREAK!!!!!!!! I stated my position very clearly and concisely. She WAS a scapegoat IMHO, but that in no way excuses what she did. Which I also said. CONTEXT please. Scapegoat in the sense that others have done the same things she did and walked scot free. Doesn't excuse her at all. And when she stooped down to their level, she was bound to get some sewage on her. But she was still made a scapegoat.

Don't bother me with your garbage any more unless you have something new. Defend Paris if you will, dream all night long about her, I don't care but I'm entitled to my opinion which I have clearly stated several times and seems to fly right over the point on  top of your head.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

children!  :o