Downtown needs some basics now

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

Just FYI, but OK cannot sell anything BUT 3.2 beer.

I kinda like having liquor stores...they're quicker.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

WILDCAT NATION wrote:
What they have is all fratboy gray beer
I just gotta ask....what exactly are you talking about?
Bud, Bud Light, Nat Light, Old Mil, Schlitz, Hamm's, Mil's Best, Busch, Mich, Coors, PBR, Old Style, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Mich Ultra, Corona, Foster's, etc. Beers that are popular among the college folks, because of their low price, and directly proportional lack of flavor, which often distracts from effective competitive drinking, and are often packaged/bottled/canned in gray receptacles.

We need a Gomer's downtown, or something of the like, where tasty beer can be found.
Last edited by bahua on Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

I was in New York last weekend and was in a great store that just opened in the monstrous AOL Time Warner building, Whole Foods. I believe there is one on Metcalf as well. Anyway, i was fascinated with the store. In order to save a little money i went there for lunch nearly everyday. The selection is incredible, and at very reasonable prices. They have everything from the freshest produce to ready made soups, salads, sandwiches to liquor to any grocery item you can think of! While there, I was thinking how great one of these would be in downtown KC, to function as a grocery store. Anyone else been to a Whole Foods?? The company has really been expanding in the last few years, what about drawing one to KC??

http://www.wholefoods.com/
GO ROOs!!!!!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

whole foods is great. I'd love to see that go in at 18th and main.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

whole foods

Post by macnw »

There is a Whole Foods here in downtown Portland. It's in a redevelopment called the Brewery Blocks(the old Henry Weinhard Brewery). Whole Foods usually goes into locations where there are high priced lofts/condos/apartments. The store in Portland is located in the "Pearl District." If you cannot tell by the name, this area is very expensive, lofts go for 300K-750K. Yuppieville. The store has connected underground parking because land is so expensive. The store is also located right on the streetcar line. Bottom line, there needs to be a critical mass of moderate to upper end units in close proximity before Whole Foods decides to build. Do we meet that criteria in KC?
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

bahua wrote:
WILDCAT NATION wrote:
We need a Gomer's downtown, or something of the like, where tasty beer can be found.
Bahua...you forget the eye-pleasing Gran-Slam Liquors...their pickled pigs feet are tasty...!!!
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

bahua wrote:
WILDCAT NATION wrote:
Bud, Bud Light, Nat Light, Old Mil, Schlitz, Hamm's, Mil's Best, Busch, Mich, Coors, PBR, Old Style, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Mich Ultra, Corona, Foster's, etc. Beers that are popular among the college folks, because of their low price, and directly proportional lack of flavor, which often distracts from effective competitive drinking, and are often packaged/bottled/canned in gray receptacles.

This is why I'm thankful for the new HyVee up here. They have a liquor store attached that is quite the little wine/liquor/beer place...Lots of variety for those times when I'm in the mood for something other than Bud... But they don't carry most of my favorites from Germany and England. Close, but not quite "it".
Of course, I haven't found a store here that does carry them...
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: whole foods

Post by GuyInLenexa »

macnw wrote:There is a Whole Foods here in downtown Portland. It's in a redevelopment called the Brewery Blocks(the old Henry Weinhard Brewery). Whole Foods usually goes into locations where there are high priced lofts/condos/apartments. The store in Portland is located in the "Pearl District." If you cannot tell by the name, this area is very expensive, lofts go for 300K-750K. Yuppieville. The store has connected underground parking because land is so expensive. The store is also located right on the streetcar line. Bottom line, there needs to be a critical mass of moderate to upper end units in close proximity before Whole Foods decides to build. Do we meet that criteria in KC?
I know that those housing demographics do not match the home prices adjacent to the WFM in Overland Park that was built about three years ago. I am certain that Portland housing prices are a lot higher than KC. My ex boss just moved there and was thrown for a loop on the housing costs, although is is such a beautiful city.....probably worth it.

I have shopped at WFM for over 20 years in TX, they have prided themselves on being demographically diverse. Most of their stores that I have seen in CA, FL, TX and here in KC are in strip centers, but always so nice.

I think that after all the lofts that are under construction and proposed that KC could handle a WFM. If they do not, I am not surprised that their nemisis, Wild Oats may build something.

My brother works for WFM at at their headquarters in Austin, I think I will ask him if he knows what the criteria is. I know they base a lot on demographics of people that are interested in health foods.

I bet almost every supermarket chain is looking at having an urban version of their stores. The market keeps getting bigger with no stop in sight. Not just in KC but most cities in the US.

gil
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

zonk wrote:Bahua...you forget the eye-pleasing Gran-Slam Liquors...their pickled pigs feet are tasty...!!!
Worst. Liquor store. Ever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

don't cuss it, it's the closest we've got....so far.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

bahua wrote:
WILDCAT NATION wrote:

You have left out the biggest frat beer of all...... Keystone and Keystone Ice :cheers:
On to the Next One
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I put 'etc' in there, but yes. The 'stones definitely bear mentioning.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Keystone Ice is still around?
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Ah, yes. Who could forget the "ice beer craze" of '97 - or whenever it was. But on the topic of beer, there are hundreds of micro-brews out there now and I try a lot of them. Here we mostly get West Coast microbrews. But I still say Boulevard is the best. I look forward to sipping an ice cold Pale Ale everytime I'm in town. I think Boulevard is now technically a "regional brewery" but unfortunately they have no plans to expand outside the Midwest.
inkman

Post by inkman »

hey trailerkid you forgot to ask for world peace an end to hunger and a cure for AIDS. when you move downtown you have to know that you're gonna have to do some driving to get your fancy urban yuppie crap. besides if they had all them stores downtown they would just become a haven for the bums that populate the area. besides what's wrong with royal liquors. hehe.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

A downtown Royal Liquors would be fine with me, but at the moment, we don't even have that.

As for "fancy urban yuppy crap," I personally like to taste the beer I drink, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.
inkman

Post by inkman »

bahua wrote:A downtown Royal Liquors would be fine with me, but at the moment, we don't even have that.

As for "fancy urban yuppy crap," I personally like to taste the beer I drink, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.
royal is practically downtown. a very, very short drive down summit.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, you used the D-word. Driving is a pain in the ass.