OFFICIAL - IRS HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - IRS HQ construction

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: Just wondering what kind of connections this facility has to the Metro buses? Has anyone seen if there is a significant ridership from employees of the IRS?

Further, has anyone noticed any sort of changes in the neighborhood surrounding this facility? It's a lot of bodies to put in the downtown area, but such a self-contained environment doesn't seem like it would have much effect on anything around it besides auto traffic. Union Station/Crown Center should give discounts to IRS workers to get them to start using the amenities of the neighborhood.
Yea, I'd like to know if the US is seeing any pickup in lunchtime business as a result?  They also need to make it as easy as possible to walk between the US and the IRS facility.  From the looks of Grid's picture, it does not look like there is much facilitating foot traffic between the two buildings.  What a shame to waste an opportunity like this.   
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Yea, I'd like to know if the US is seeing any pickup in lunchtime business as a result?  They also need to make it as easy as possible to walk between the US and the IRS facility.  From the looks of Grid's picture, it does not look like there is much facilitating foot traffic between the two buildings.  What a shame to waste an opportunity like this.     
I could be wrong but I believe they actually can cross under the road and enter at the lower level.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

They use the tunnel under Pershing to get to the remote parking garage that is in the Union Station railbeds. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

trailerkid wrote: Union Station/Crown Center should give discounts to IRS workers to get them to start using the amenities of the neighborhood.
When I worked in the neighborhood, the restaurants in US and CC gave discounts to Hallmark, IBM, and Assurant employees, and I'm sure several other large employers.  It would stand to reason they would do the same for the IRS gang.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This building has received an architectual excellence award from the GSA, according to the May issue of Architectual Record.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The Star is reporting that a womam killed herself by torching herself  and her car in the IRS parking lot.  What a gruesome way to go.  :shock:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The Star is reporting that a womam killed herself by torching herself  and her car in the IRS parking lot.  What a gruesome way to go.  :shock:
yeah that's awful.  i wonder how they could tell it was suicide and not "suicide?"
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I would assume that the garage is covered with security cameras.  It is a secured area that requires ID to enter.
acepiloto
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by acepiloto »

Don't mean to revive this old thread, but does anyone have pics of the buildings that were here prior to the irs complex?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

acepiloto wrote: Don't mean to revive this old thread, but does anyone have pics of the buildings that were here prior to the irs complex?
Yeah...but they are film prints, and at my house in KC.  :x
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why is the IRS moving to space in Lee's Summit?  Why didn't they move these jobs to their new space on Pershing?  Does anyone know the scoop?

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... 2010-01-19
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Why is the IRS moving to space in Lee's Summit?  Why didn't they move these jobs to their new space on Pershing?  Does anyone know the scoop?

that struck me as odd, as well... especially in light of the stuff i just posted in the GSA thread.
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

FangKC wrote: Why is the IRS moving to space in Lee's Summit?  Why didn't they move these jobs to their new space on Pershing?  Does anyone know the scoop?

My mom works at the new HQ and says they are already out of room for new people.  She also said that it is likely that these particular departments actually meets with taxpayers face to face and you can't do that at the new HQ because it is not set up to meet with taxpayers. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't believe that they renovated that huge, old post office, and built all that new space, and didn't include space for meeting with taxpayers.

Perhaps they should also purchase the Pershing Building next door.

http://www.svn.com/aspx/pws/Template2/d ... anID=73519

cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

FangKC wrote: I can't believe that they renovated that huge, old post office, and built all that new space, and didn't include space for meeting with taxpayers.

Perhaps they should also purchase the Pershing Building next door.
It has to do with security.  They don't want just anyone coming into that building. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: I can't believe that they renovated that huge, old post office, and built all that new space, and didn't include space for meeting with taxpayers.
The places used to meet with taxpayers are meant to be out in the various communities.  There is one in the Bannister Mall area that I have used to get answers on my deceased mother-in-law returns.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

cpt4599 wrote: It has to do with security.  They don't want just anyone coming into that building. 
AKA some loony from a Montana farm.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, the Lee's Summit building will be so much more secure than the Pershing Building.  :lol:  It's in a business office park.  No fences. Parking lot right by the front door.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

FangKC wrote: Yeah, the Lee's Summit building will be so much more secure than the Pershing Building.   :lol:   It's in a business office park.  No fences. Parking lot right by the front door.
That's actually kind of exactly the point.  The IRS doesn't want Joe Taxpayer inside the buildings at West Pershing, so they set up places with a lot less security that are easier to access for person to person interaction.  Getting into that building when you're supposed to be there involves passing through at least two ID swipes, and that's before you even get to the area you're supposed to be working in, which may require a third.
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

shaffe wrote: That's actually kind of exactly the point.  The IRS doesn't want Joe Taxpayer inside the buildings at West Pershing, so they set up places with a lot less security that are easier to access for person to person interaction.  Getting into that building when you're supposed to be there involves passing through at least two ID swipes, and that's before you even get to the area you're supposed to be working in, which may require a third.
Exactly.  There is a bomb threat at least once every 3 months at Pershing facility.  They don't want the public involed with that.