Predict the "new" downtown complaints

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Predict the "new" downtown complaints

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Lately I have encountered a lot higher percentage of people who are aware of the project and what is going on  - sadly almost everyone I talk to lately is absolutely convinced that it will be a disaster and lead the city to financial ruin.  I can't help but think that this is the direct result of Mayor Poopey-Pants election campaign. 
No, that's typical Kansas City doom and gloom.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think this project will be just fine without support from the suburbs. There are thousands of residents that live within an easy distance of the development, that will be happy to see it happen. Everyone's welcome, of course, but it's for downtown, downtowners, visitors, and urban core dwellers. It's not for the metro.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah i was just thinking about that.  is widespread suburban support truly necessary for the P+L District's success? 

i have no doubt that many suburbanites will patronize P+L District establishments since many suburbanites currently patronize downtown and urban core establishments.  the doom and gloom naysayers who find fault with every possible aspect of downtown aren't who we should be focusing on - they won't come downtown no matter what. 
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I think that if the p&L district was perfect for everybody, there will still be complaints. 
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: yeah i was just thinking about that.  is widespread suburban support truly necessary for the P+L District's success? 

i have no doubt that many suburbanites will patronize P+L District establishments since many suburbanites currently patronize downtown and urban core establishments.  the doom and gloom naysayers who find fault with every possible aspect of downtown aren't who we should be focusing on - they won't come downtown no matter what. 

Exactly.  WyCo didn't care what Mizzery residents had to say of the Speedway or Legends.  Obviously, they weren't the target market and weren't needed to succeed.

P&L has to take the same approach.  Prob are anyway.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wasn't just looking for "visitor" complaints.....but also complaints that will come out of this very message board.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: I wasn't just looking for "visitor" complaints.....but also complaints that will come out of this very message board.
ah...well in that case:

"not enough beer on tap."  ~ bahua

"not bike-friendly." ~ kard, staub

"too many poorly-dressed suburbanites." ~ chrizow

"typical case of unfulfilled promises from TAXSON county.  were carl peterson or GLASS-HOLE involved in the planning of this abomination?" ~ maitre D

"(unintelligible, unpunctuated rambling)" ~ paintfumes

"a calamitous agglomeration of putrescent dumbfuckery and myriad design abortions." ~ tosspot

"i am reminded of the city's high hopes and subsequent failures with the river quay, but at least we kept the TSC as is!" ~ AKP

"i will not rest until the P+L District has achieved a population density of 45,000 people per square hectare.  jane jacobs says that..." ~ ShowMeKC

"(meticulous, unassailable 16,000-word treatise on the successes and failures of the district.)" ~ FangKC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Classic.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

:lol:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

=D>
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: "too many poorly-dressed suburbanites." ~ chrizow

"typical case of unfulfilled promises from TAXSON county.  were carl peterson or GLASS-HOLE involved in the planning of this abomination?" ~ maitre D
That's a pretty weak quote from you, but as for mine.....that's not what I would say.  TSC is already approved, the idiots already voted to hand that money over.

This is about the district.  Specifically, the Arena.  And the main player here is LIEweke.  Get it right Sam.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Went right over your head, didn't it, Maitre D?  :-k
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

chrizow wrote: "i am reminded of the city's high hopes and subsequent failures with the river quay, but at least we kept the TSC as is!" ~ AKP
Unfortunately you got this one way wrong. There's no way AKP would use an exclamation mark.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

That KSU opinion on this thread's first page could be validated by the poster's study.  KSU's got one of the nation's best architecture schools.  This includes urban planning. 

The last time DT expected this kind of density- 1950's.  Smaller vehicles, smaller people.  When two or more events (Sprint, 4th ST., any theatres) collide- watch out.  SUV Derby. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I know several people that live downtown that drive SUVs....It's one of the more popular types of vehicles you will see in many trendy urban areas like Lodo in Denver or CWE in StL.

Again, there are 2 million people in KC and only a few thousand that actually live downtown.  I agree suburbanites can be stupid, but believe me, urbanites can be dumb too.  I have family in the city that is proof.

If downtown is going to be successfull, it will be because of the 90% of the traffic any given business derives from "suburbanites".

I typically do not side with the suburbanite mentality, but I think you guys are getting a bit carried away with the urban vs suburban "big heads".  Especially in KC.

Anyway, I vote parking.  It will take a few years for people to figure out how to park downtown or walk or take a bus.  But KC will figure it out, it's just going to be painfull for a while.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

KC-wildcat wrote:
"They used an East Coast design where they left traffic lanes designed in the 1800s for horses at the same exact dimensions.  Have you seen The Light District?  I looks like it was designed by Paul Revere?  They took 4 square blocks and had the opportunity to do something with pedistrian and traffic flow.  They chose to make it look like a Boston or Philadelphia traffic jam.The reality of the project is the Mayor of Kansas City, Mr Funky, is already saying it is a finacial sham.  Now if you do not think the Light District will be a traffic and parking nightmare then we will just have to agree to disagree.  Compare the Legends/Speedway, which is designed by Midwestern people to the Light District which comes with an East Coast mentality."
What a f**king dumb ass.  Yes, I'm very sad that they didn't design a strip mall with a huge parking desert and a few "stand alone" drive through restaurants.  That surely would have made this project more "midwestern" and "successful" &&& 

I'm really sick of how stupid some people are who live here.  If Paul revere had designed it, it wouldn't look like Boston anyway.  Modern day "traffic jam" Boston hardly existed in his day (not the way it is now).  Colonial buildings would have been cool anyway (although out of place).  First and formost, PR was not an architect or city planner!  I really hope that Jo-striped shirt-Co won't come to the district just to get pissed off at nothing and go home and tell all his friends to stay out on the plastic prairie.

BTW, was this a real story...it had some spelling mistakes
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Lately I have encountered a lot higher percentage of people who are aware of the project and what is going on  - sadly almost everyone I talk to lately is absolutely convinced that it will be a disaster and lead the city to financial ruin.  I can't help but think that this is the direct result of Mayor Poopey-Pants election campaign. 
Actually, former Mayor Barnes already have led Kansas City to financial ruin.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC-wildcat wrote:
"They used an East Coast design where they left traffic lanes designed in the 1800s for horses at the same exact dimensions.  Have you seen The Light District?  I looks like it was designed by Paul Revere?  They took 4 square blocks and had the opportunity to do something with pedistrian and traffic flow.  They chose to make it look like a Boston or Philadelphia traffic jam.The reality of the project is the Mayor of Kansas City, Mr Funky, is already saying it is a finacial sham.  Now if you do not think the Light District will be a traffic and parking nightmare then we will just have to agree to disagree.  Compare the Legends/Speedway, which is designed by Midwestern people to the Light District which comes with an East Coast mentality."
Paintfumes wrote: Actually, former Mayor Barnes already have led Kansas City to financial ruin.
You don't have to wonder why this forum is no longer taken seriously by the "professional" development and tourism community...

So many posts are no more intellectual than the fox 4 blog's moronic posts and threads.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Another problem which hasn't been mentioned is if an event is going on during the day, Monday thru Friday. All the people who are going to City Hall, Federal Courthouse, Jackson County Courthouse, Municipal Court and so on will be looking for parking.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

congrats on stating the obvious.  you should be a city planner!