Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by Paintfumes »

KCMax wrote: Not everyone likes you. When will you leave?
no
Last edited by Paintfumes on Mon May 14, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

jlbomega wrote: The target market for soccer is suburbanites and soccer moms.  Fact is many JOCO soccer moms will not want to be downtown after dark with their little kids along with the drunks and gangsters. 
This isn't the only target for soccer and there are a lot of fans outside of this demographic.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

staubio wrote: This isn't the only target for soccer and there are a lot of fans outside of this demographic.
People from Latin America LOVE soccer, and KC has plenty of these people.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

bahua wrote: People from Latin America LOVE soccer, and KC has plenty of these people.
Yes, and I've always wondered why the Wizards wouldn't want to exploit that demographic and build a stadium in the SW Boulevard area.  However, my guess is they don't have the necessary disposable income to consistently support the team.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Again, soccer moms (the ones with the money) will not take their little kids to a game with a bunch of poor, drunk hispanics.  Before anyone gets offended I don't have a problem with hispanic people.  I'm just saying what the stereotype will be.  There are a lot of Scotts, Brits, Asians, Americans, etc that love soccer as well in this city.  However the bread and butter of this soccer market (where the money is) is from suburban families with kids who play/enjoy soccer.  These people want no part of houlaganism.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Do parents who enjoy watching their kids play soccer also attend pro soccer games on a regular basis? Or take their kids to pro games on a regular basis?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Paintfumes wrote: Not everyone likes soccer. I'm surprise the soccer team is still here.
Not everyone likes baseball, football, etc.

Different strokes........
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

jlbomega wrote: Again, soccer moms (the ones with the money) will not take their little kids to a game with a bunch of poor, drunk hispanics.  Before anyone gets offended I don't have a problem with hispanic people.  I'm just saying what the stereotype will be.  There are a lot of Scotts, Brits, Asians, Americans, etc that love soccer as well in this city.  However the bread and butter of this soccer market (where the money is) is from suburban families with kids who play/enjoy soccer.  These people want no part of houlaganism.

Well then they sure as hell wouldn't take them to Chiefs games either unless they have field level seats.  The upper deck gets pretty rowdy.  And how about the inevitable shirtless drunkard yelling at Royals games?

I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  That being said... let's get the bannister deal done!!!
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Theiler wrote: the inevitable shirtless drunkard yelling at Royals games
Or the lemonade guy.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KC0KEK wrote: Or the lemonade guy.
What!? I never considered the lemonade guy rowdy or out of turn. He was always just a fun aspect of going to games.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I would love to see an amphitheater downtown but the footprint is just too big to justify the return (IMHO).  I love the Grinders concert space and how it basically reclaims land within the urban fabric.  On another style, the P&L Live space will be great too.  Aong those same lines, the footprint needed for a soccer facility in the downtown area seems too big.  What six block area would be redevelop?  Granted, I was in support of DT baseball, but that is 81 games a season.  

The more I think about the Wizards and an amphitheater at Bannister, the better it sounds.  As for the "JoCo mom's don't want to let their kids be around drunk Mexicans."  Have you actually been to a Wizards game?  They are great, and as someone who takes my nephew and niece to the games, most parents feel that the hispanic crowd adds a lot of flavor and energy to the game.  You know who to steer clear of, just like any other sporting event.  JoCo families still take their kids to KU games in spite of the drunk Frat guys...  
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Kansas City has a soccer facility, Kemper Arena.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Theiler
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Theiler »

Paintfumes wrote: Kansas City has a soccer facility, Kemper Arena.
Waaaaaaay too small...

Wait, are they Comets coming back???
Raytown South '04
Mizzou '09
Financial Management Major, Business Minor
Royals, Chiefs, & Wizards fan
KC Baby!!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The Wiz are dead last in MLS attendance, last I checked.

I'm sure the NBA/NHL is just dyyyyyyyyyyyyying to get into this market.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Maitre D wrote: The Wiz are dead last in MLS attendance, last I checked.

I'm sure the NBA/NHL is just dyyyyyyyyyyyyying to get into this market.
The Wizares have dealt with a few factors that has hurt their overall average, not the least of which was the lame duck HSG ownership that let the product deteriorate and didn't promote the team.  People didn't even know that games were happening.

Arrowhead also hurts attendance as it kills the atmosphere of the game. That is why soccer specific stadiums are so critical for the success of this league.  Soccer is all about context and atmosphere and a SSS will make it.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't think they can afford to exclude anyone. Trying to cater exclusively to moneyed suburbanites is not going to keep the Latinos out of the games. Soccer fans are traditionally some of the rowdiest people in sport. I think KC should embrace that.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote: I don't think they can afford to exclude anyone. Trying to cater exclusively to moneyed suburbanites is not going to keep the Latinos out of the games. Soccer fans are traditionally some of the rowdiest people in sport. I think KC should embrace that.
The new ownership group is taking the Latino market seriously for the first time in Kansas City. On Goal has a Director of Latino Relations on staff. They have created a campaign featuring Jose Burciaga and Nick Garcia (with Miss Latina Kansas) that has appeared in various Spanish media. They have formed a partnership with Mexican league club Atlas, allowing for friendly games, cooperative training and player scouting opportunities. Games are being broadcast on Spanish radio for the first time.

The new ownership group is making a world of difference.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

staubio wrote: The new ownership group is taking the Latino market seriously for the first time in Kansas City. On Goal has a Director of Latino Relations on staff. They have created a campaign featuring Jose Burciaga and Nick Garcia (with Miss Latina Kansas) that has appeared in various Spanish media. They have formed a partnership with Mexican league club Atlas, allowing for friendly games, cooperative training and player scouting opportunities. Games are being broadcast on Spanish radio for the first time.

The new ownership group is making a world of difference.

So why are they dead last in attedance, then?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Maitre D wrote:
Because we've only had three home games so far, one in a torrential rainstorm, one starting at an abnormal time conflicting with youth soccer and the other a normal time with respectable attendance. Besides, I wouldn't expect things to drastically change overnight and it would be ignorant to have that expectation.  The gameday experience is drastically better, the marketing is better, the team is playing with a newfound swagger and the games are fun.  Things are headed in the right direction.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Maitre D wrote:
Game #1) Wednesday night home opener (all the other teams openers were on a Saturday).

Game #2) 12noon start time on a Saturday while youth games were in progress.

Game #3) I was out of town. :wink:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.