Sold out!!!

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kansasfarmboy

Sold out!!!

Post by kansasfarmboy »

The KU news that they are going to be at kemper, sold it out almost immediately

How many seats are there in kemper for such an event?

How many seats SHOULD be in an arena downtown kc should it be built ?

And finally..... what would,could,should be done with kemper if it is decomissioned ?

should the whole thing be turned into American royal...?

should a new arena be built that means we will have ,,, Municipal,kemper , new arena, and the even smaller one on 7th street in kck , thats a lot of space ... to have sit fallow , if a HUGE arena is built down town.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Sold out!!!

Post by KC0KEK »

Considering that Kaufmann has a better reputation among sports fans -- inside KC and outside -- than Kemper, it probably would be easier to make a case for leveling Kemper after a replacement facility is built. Plus, shutting down the existing facility apparently is often a requirement to getting a deal done in smaller markets. For example, I recall that the Arena had to be closed once the Kiel Center opened because Kiel's backers didn't want the competition.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sold out!!!

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe Kemper holds around 19k for basketball

New arena I think should be right around that number....

Kemper? I think we should all get to pay $5 to hit it with a bat...raise money for the new arena....but seriously I think it would be just given up for it's original purpose, the American Royal.

Or just knock it down....Municipal is still worthy as a smaller arena to help host Big 12 women games, UMKC, etc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Sold out!!!

Post by KCDevin »

But the new arena will hold 40k seats alltogether right?
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Sold out!!!

Post by UMKCgal »

I'm all for a downtown arena..and when we get it, let's bulldoze Kemper!!!
But yeah 19k seating sounds good.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Sold out!!!

Post by KC0KEK »

KCDevin wrote:But the new arena will hold 40k seats alltogether right?
I can't imagine that they'd seriously consider anything over 22K. 40K is way too big for an arena, unless you're trying to compete with domed stadiums.
KCDevin

Sold out!!!

Post by KCDevin »

lol I dunno, it's just the number 40,000 sticks in my head... Maybe it was the baseball stadium? lol
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Sold out!!!

Post by tat2kc »

a new arena downtown would not necessarily mean shuttering municpal at all. Its a smaller venue, and really a pretty nice space. It needs some updating, but I like it. A few years ago, the NCAA women's basketball championship had some games there, I got to see Tennessee play La. Tech. Municipal was the ideal site, not too big to have empty seats, but not too small either.

Kemper would be great redesigned to fit into the Americal Royal complex, perhaps scaled back for more equestrian type events, smaller concerts, etc. I did notice an article in the sunday Star talking about the number of events scheduled at kemper and the Royal for March set a new booking record. thats a nice thing for the complex.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Sold out!!!

Post by KC Kropf »

Kemper? I think we should all get to pay $5 to hit it with a bat...raise money for the new arena....but seriously I think it would be just given up for it's original purpose, the American Royal.
I like the fund raising idea. Isn't this what it is all about ? $$$$ where it is going to come from, and how to get it. How about an auction on ebay in which the high bidder gets to push down one of those explosive trigger box things (like in the road runner cartoons)??

not to bring up all of the KS vs. MO trash talk that was taking place, but all of you who were saying that KS does nothing for the area: what did it take to sell out the big white box that some people call an "arena" ??

by the way if anyone wants a ticket to the games, I have access to a student ticket in the KS section. Unfortunatly it is only a single ticket. Private message me if you are interested, I would need to know ASAP. I am leaving for Spring Break and can not attend.

oh yeah, how do you make it say "KC wrote:" when quoting text??
On to the Next One
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Sold out!!!

Post by trailerkid »

Keep Municipal Auditorium...it has a very rich basketball history and is visually pleasing.
KCDevin wrote:But the new arena will hold 40k seats alltogether right?
My idea was to have pull-back seats at the arena so it could hold 40,000+ for a Final Four or for huge concerts like Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

Sold out!!!

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

The Muni is a treasure, but that baby needs som major work...

I'm not sure you could build an arena that would feasibly hold 40K.

I think 19 or 20K is about perfect...or, just make it about 17K with a BUNCH of suites...

I'm not a big fan of large expanses of upper deck seating...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Sold out!!!

Post by bahua »

My fear, with a downtown arena, is a big surface parking lot. People don't seem to be crazy about parking decks, so I'm afraid that at least a city block would get bulldozed for surface parking.