KSU knocks off #10 in the nation, Star runs it on page 4

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Ok here is what we do.

KC, you move to some big beige house on a Olathe culti-sac
Dan, you move to a Quality Hill condo and use transit

just one week!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC wrote:I can't even get a topic celebrating my boys win over #10 in the country on my own freaking message board w/o some MU/KU fans screwing it up....do you not have 500 other places to air your KU hate?
KC, you should by now there is no power greater than the hatred between Kansas and Missouri. It does have an ebb and flow, but in its peak it has the power to part the Red Sea. No man, woman, child, or army can contain it once unleashed. We only have a small handful of Bistate bickerers and it takes ahold of this entire board.

To be honest, I bet the Star had the KSU/TX game on page 4 before they ever knew who won. That doesn't make it O.K., but the bottom line is KState men's basketball has little to no cache in the metro. The TV news coverage wasn't bad last night. The Star screwed up big time, but if KState won more b-ball there would be less screwing up.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

StL_Dan wrote:

Just give the IN STATE team the Lion's share and make the OUT OF STATE team a subserviant position of coverage.

That's all I'm askin'.
You're in-state whether in Missouri or Kansas. This city and immediate region straddles a state line. The reason KU dominates the sports pages is that it is the most major university within the immediate region. KSU is 120 miles away, Columbia is even farther. People need to stop thinking about the state line.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

As much as I hate to say it, K-State produces the third most graduates to the KC area, by far. KU has the most (more than MU) and KU as a school is larger than MU. I was at the Royals game yesterday when they anounced the score, and I heard much more cheers than boos. KU is also closer to KC, with the main campus 30 miles away, and two more campuses within the metro (KU Med is on the state line!) KU is a Kansas City school. However, what people need to realize is that Kasnas City has three schools. All three should get the same attention when they do something. Dan is right that KU gets more press than they deserve. If anyone gets the shaft, though, it is K-State. A story on how great two coaches who have had mediocre years are over a local team beating Texas? That is ridiculous.

Now, as to why there are so many more KU grads in the metro than MU or K-State (when the sizes of the schools aren't THAT far apart), I can only speculate- a KU degree is golden in KC, but ignored elsewhere- whereas K-State grads go international!
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

KC I feel your pain. That was a quality win regardless if you're undefeated or haven't won a game. I don't remember KU or MU beating TX this year.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To be honest, I bet the Star had the KSU/TX game on page 4 before they ever knew who won. That doesn't make it O.K., but the bottom line is KState men's basketball has little to no cache in the metro. The TV news coverage wasn't bad last night. The Star screwed up big time, but if KState won more b-ball there would be less screwing up.
I agree with all of this...the sports section was already set for Sunday before that game was over.

I also agree if I desire more regular coverage of KSU men's bball, they must get better.

All I wanted was a little color picture...even give me the below the fold.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

GRID wrote:Ok here is what we do.

KC, you move to some big beige house on a Olathe culti-sac
Dan, you move to a Quality Hill condo and use transit

just one week!
I'm game!
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:
I agree with all of this...the sports section was already set for Sunday before that game was over.

I also agree if I desire more regular coverage of KSU men's bball, they must get better.

All I wanted was a little color picture...even give me the below the fold.
I betcha the Manhattan or Salina paper has EXCELLENT color coverage of the purple pussies.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

don't be a hater Dan.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:don't be a hater Dan.
i got nuthin' but love for you, KC

that's why i'm telling you where to find the most colorful, comprehensive ksu info
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If half of the people who bitch about the Star being biased for KU over MU would move back the Missouri side, then the situation might change. It's amazing how many MU alums/fans choose to live in Johnson County and then complain about the KU people around them. But it might already be changing as a lot of Jocos are starting to move to Lee's Summit and the Northland.

It's all about the money for the Star, just like the TV stations. Even though Lawrence is technically in the Topeka media market, KC TV stations devote a lot of coverage to it. The reason is that it has 75,000 relatively affluent people near a metropolatin area, thus it's an easy way to look more attractive to advertisers. Ditto for newspapers.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

dangerboy wrote:If half of the people who bitch about the Star being biased for KU over MU would move back the Missouri side, then the situation might change. It's amazing how many MU alums/fans choose to live in Johnson County and then complain about the KU people around them. But it might already be changing as a lot of Jocos are starting to move to Lee's Summit and the Northland.

It's all about the money for the Star, just like the TV stations. Even though Lawrence is technically in the Topeka media market, KC TV stations devote a lot of coverage to it. The reason is that it has 75,000 relatively affluent people near a metropolatin area, thus it's an easy way to look more attractive to advertisers. Ditto for newspapers.
as for me, i'm not complaining about the kansans that live around me in kansas

i'm pissed about a missouri paper favoring a kansas sports team
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Who said the Star is exclusively a Missouri paper? It is a Kansas City paper. Again, Kansas City happens to be astride a state line. It makes since for the Star to cover more of KU. There are more KU grads in the metro. KU is only 30 miles from downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Today's sport section? Big title showing the KSU women beating the MU women......

why not a bio on MU's student manager......I mean they play today and all.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCforumer wrote:Who said the Star is exclusively a Missouri paper? It is a Kansas City paper. Again, Kansas City happens to be astride a state line. It makes since for the Star to cover more of KU. There are more KU grads in the metro. KU is only 30 miles from downtown.
KU is even closer to KCK. Let a KANSAS newspaper give all those KU alumni the lion's share of KU coverage.

Leave MISSOURI sports to a MISSOURI paper.