OFFICIAL: Crossroads Market (Grocery Store)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I see the problem with grocery stores....more people will want to drive since they will be buying a lot of things that won't translate well to jumping on the bus and taking them home.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Believe me...I know all about ripping plastic sacks filled with groceries while you wait for a bus as the wind whips you around...pain in the arse.

But perhaps an easier solution could be found. Why not grocery haulers? Basically luggage for hauling your groceries. The store could offer specially designed baggage with different compartments for milk, eggs, frozen goods, bread, etc. Get the grocery sackers to just put the groceries into the one piece grocery hauler. It could even have a handle that you could drag as you walk down the street. Hell...it would even be convenient for people who drive.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think the mentality of massive grocery runs is all part of the decentralization problem. Today, going to the grocery store is somewhat of an excursion. You have to get into your car, drive to a big parking lot, load up a cart and then haul it all home. Perhaps if there were better integrated groceries, one could walk to the store and buy far fewer items knowing that it doesn't take a massive time committment to get the store. That means more activity, more frequent purchases, less reliance on the car and fresher food on demand.

Ah, its like a dream.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

You could put a grocery store in the proposed area, and have it easily served by the existing parking lots. I'd rather see a couple of the surface lots converted to garages with retail, but the reality is that there will need to be some parking. We sure as hell don't need any more surface parking in the crossroads! That land is becoming far too valuable to be set aside for a parking lot. You could even put parking on the roof of the store, just like the store on broadway, across from the uptown theatre.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Don't forget that not everyone who lives downtown lives in the Crossroads. I have walked between the River Market and the Crossroads a few times but I'm not about to do it laden down with sacks of groceries. So let them build the lot, just conceal it.