Antler Apartments in Westport

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Antler Apartments in Westport

Post by briantsmith25 »

I looked at these last night and I must say that they are quite interesting. They are at 39th and Wyandotte. The building was designed by Nellie Peters in the 20's and has an enormous amout of charm. There are only six apartments in the building and each one is 1300 sq ft and runs 650 a month and you only have to pay electricity. Quite the deal. Does anyone know anything about this place. I went ahead and put down a deposit and plan on moving in April 1.
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Antler Apartments in Westport

Post by chrizow »

is that the sort of beige building on the corner on the south side? 

some of my more harrowing experiences walking in kansas city have been thanks to the weirdos and crackheads that live at 39th and Wyandotte in that building...i think it has a spanish name though and probably isn't what you're talking about.

$650 for 1300 sq ft sounds great though.  i have some friends on wyandotte between 39th and Westport Rd.  pretty neat area.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

chrizow wrote: is that the sort of beige building on the corner on the south side? 

some of my more harrowing experiences walking in kansas city have been thanks to the weirdos and crackheads that live at 39th and Wyandotte in that building...i think it has a spanish name though and probably isn't what you're talking about.

$650 for 1300 sq ft sounds great though.  i have some friends on wyandotte between 39th and Westport Rd.  pretty neat area.
No.. Its a 3 story brick building that has 3 apartments on each side with a lot of tall windows. Very cool looking building. This is right in between Wyandotte and 39th st.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

chrizow wrote: is that the sort of beige building on the corner on the south side? 

some of my more harrowing experiences walking in kansas city have been thanks to the weirdos and crackheads that live at 39th and Wyandotte
Is that a sketchy area???
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't think it's a "sketchy area" but there are definitely sketchy characters living at the building i cited and Broadway in Midtown in general attracts sketchy characters.  i wouldn't worry about it though.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The area is a little more gritty east of Southwest Trafficway and closer to 39th. Broadway is having some problems with the plasma donation center, drug dealers, etc (see last week's Pitch for a story about this), but recent media coverage has caused the police department to take notice.

If you are already looking at this neighborhood then I assume you are comfortable in an urban setting.  You will see some panhandling, petty crime, etc.  but not a lot of shootings or assaults.  So, grittier than 63rd and Brookside, but not nearly as tough as 31st and Prospect.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

dangerboy wrote: The area is a little more gritty east of Southwest Trafficway and closer to 39th. Broadway is having some problems with the plasma donation center, drug dealers, etc (see last week's Pitch for a story about this), but recent media coverage has caused the police department to take notice.

If you are already looking at this neighborhood then I assume you are comfortable in an urban setting.  You will see some panhandling, petty crime, etc.  but not a lot of shootings or assaults.  So, grittier than 63rd and Brookside, but not nearly as tough as 31st and Prospect.
I'm a good sized guy at about 6'4" and 240. So I don't worry too much, but I will have girlfriend living with me who is the very sweet passive type. So I just kinda worry about her.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

youll be alright.  i probably would advise your girlfriend not to walk around by herself at night, but that's common sense and would apply to many areas of KCMO.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

chrizow wrote: youll be alright.  i probably would advise your girlfriend not to walk around by herself at night, but that's common sense and would apply to many areas of KCMO.
Exactly... She won't do that now at our apartment complex in Roeland Park... :lol:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

My first place in KC proper was The Santa Maria - across Wyandotte on the corner. I always thought The Antlers looked awesome. Great character - love the porches.

The neighborhood has its ups/downs - There seemed to be some good folks on the block between Westport/39th.

I'd like to hear your impressions of the hood after a little while. You're dangerously close to Mario's - which is a hard habit to break. If that stretch of 39th can get its shit together, it will be a prime spot to be.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

briantsmith25 wrote: Exactly... She won't do that now at our apartment complex in Roeland Park... :lol:
heh...then expect her to be very skittish at 39th and Wyandotte! 

i think the building i am scared of is called The Alcazar or something. 
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

chrizow wrote: heh...then expect her to be very skittish at 39th and Wyandotte! 

i think the building i am scared of is called The Alcazar or something. 
She actually liked the area more than I did. She's not scared of Roeland Park, she is just smart about being by herself. I'm gonna get her mace just in case.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

WSPanic wrote: You're dangerously close to Mario's - which is a hard habit to break. If that stretch of 39th can get its shit together, it will be a prime spot to be.
Mario's? Whats this?? You are right. The porches is what sold me on the place!!!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The Antlers is a beautiful building.  If I wasn't living downtown, I'd probably look into this building as a residence.  I had no idea they were so cheap, compared to the amount of square footage. 

The glass sun porches on this building are awesome. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

voltopt wrote: The Antlers is a beautiful building.  If I wasn't living downtown, I'd probably look into this building as a residence.  I had no idea they were so cheap, compared to the amount of square footage. 

The glass sun porches on this building are awesome. 
They are cheap. The kitchen and bathroom are old and outdated but that isn't a very big deal to me. There is no dishwasher and window air. That is the only downside that I could see.