New condo tower for downtown St. Louis!

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

New condo tower for downtown St. Louis!

Post by JivecitySTL »

Another New Downtown Residential Tower Rises Toward The Sky

22-story condo planned for Washington Ave.

St. Louis Business Journal - February 23, 2007
by Lisa R. Brown

Metropolitan Development Enterprises is planning to build a $67 million, 22-story condo tower in the heart of the Washington Avenue loft district. The tower is the largest new-construction residential building proposed for downtown.

Chicago-based Metropolitan was expected to present plans to build the mixed-use building at 1400 Washington, on the site of Erlich's Dry Cleaners, at a Tax Increment Finance Commission meeting Feb. 22. Metropolitan has requested $12 million of TIF for the project.

Ivie Clay, St. Louis Development Corp.'s director of communications and marketing, said a public hearing on the project will be held April 11.

Metropolitan purchased the building from Max Erlich in August 2006 for $1 million. It will demolish the building and construct a new one on the site and on an adjacent vacant lot it purchased from Dragon Development Co., led by Brad Waldrop of St. Charles, for $524,000.

The development, to be named the Skyhouse, will have 166 condos, with prices starting in the mid-$200,000s. One-, two- and three-bedroom units will be available, ranging in size from 850 to 2,230 square feet. The top three floors will feature 12 penthouse units.

Metropolitan's Director of Marketing Nellie Donovan said the developer wants to reach an untapped market downtown with traditional-style condos in a newly built structure. "We looked at what was missing, and we want to go after that niche," Donovan said. "That space is underutilized, and with this project we can enhance the neighborhood. We want to be part of the Washington Avenue corridor."

A lender and general contractor have not yet been selected. Metropolitan's in-house architectural firm, Metro.Arch, is the project's architect. The building's design will meet LEED standards, according to Metropolitan.

The building will have 13,000 square feet of retail space, and several hundred parking spots will be built into the structure. A rooftop recreational area will include a pool, fitness center and dog run. Each of the condo units will feature floor-to-ceiling windows and balconies.

Metropolitan is teaming with local development group RileyWaldrop LLC in a joint venture on the Skyhouse project. Riley Waldrop consists of developer Ben Riley; his father, Philip Riley; and Brad Waldrop.

Riley Waldrop has been active in the loft-conversion market downtown in recent years, developing the 14-unit Barton Street Lofts at 2401 S. 12th St., and six of the Knickerbocker units at Washington Avenue and 13th Street, which it later resold. The investment group bought the Dragon Trading building at 1709 Locust St. for $1.25 million in 2005 and sold it four months later to New York real estate developers Cyrus and Darius Sakhai for $1.8 million.

Skyhouse is Metropolitan's first project in St. Louis; the company has several residential projects completed or under way in the Chicago area. Its founder and president is Paul Hardej. In addition to an in-house architectural team, Metropolitan has an in-house construction firm, Enterprise Construction, and property management team, Newland Realty.
Last edited by JivecitySTL on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New condo tower for downtown St. Louis!

Post by chrizow »

kickass!

not only does it look like a great building in a great neighborhood, but i think it's a great sign when out-of-town developers come in and build great stuff.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Niiice.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

do you have a picture of the building being torn down? 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

The building being demolished is a little dinky old building (cool as hell), but this is a good trade.  It's the Erlich's Dry Cleaners, a 2-story building.  Here are some pics:

You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, that's a helluva trade!  nice work STL. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

ah, that's not bad at all!  I was afraid of what it might be.  The facade along Wash Av, could have been better, but i would place that as a minor complain considering the positive impact of the rest of the building. 

Very cool, downtown St.L is continuing to do pretty righteous! 
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

it reminds me of 4646 broadway.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it reminds me of everything proposed in the last 5 years. yawn.

can someone photoshop a triptych of 4646, The Broadway, and this thing? i think it would be interesting to see them side-by-side.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

DaveKCMO wrote: it reminds me of everything proposed in the last 5 years. yawn.
for stl, new residential construction in downtown/ dt west is a HUGE deal, and believe me, im relieved to see this sort of architecture over there. over the past couple of decades, stl has had a fetish with mediocre to extremely bad historicism. this is huge.
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

Jive, are the ballpark village condos still on the agenda? 
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

Hi everyone!

Been a lurker here for a year or so and just decided to register.  I am from Lawrence originally and relocated to St. Louis recently (well actually about 6 months ago).

I try to keep up with Midwestern cities through these sites and skyscraperspage.

I agree that this residential highrise is another great expansion into the sky for St. Louis.  Here are the new RESIDENTIAL/HOTEL highrises (15 stories or more) in inner core of STL - Downtown to Clayton in the past couple years (under construction, propsed, completed, or approved)
*If I missed anything, someone add.

ParkEast Tower (Central West End) - completed this winter

Lindell Condo Tower (Central West End) - approved

Four Seaons Hotel (Downtown St. Louis) - under construction

Roberts MayFair Residential Tower (Downtown St. Louis) - approved

Mansion House Residential Tower Addition - new construct (Downtown St. Louis) - proposed

BallPark Village Towers - 3 Total (Downtown St. Louis) All approved / 1 under construction Spring '07

Westin Hotel St. Louis Galleria (Brentwood/St. Louis) approved

4545 Lindell Residential Tower (Central West End) under construction

Park Pacific Residential Tower (Downtown St. Louis) approved

SkyHouse Residential Tower (Downtown St. Louis) proposed

The Bottle District (Downtown St. Louis) - proposed/approved
*A new architech has been chosen to revide the Bottle District and Towers.  The district is to include 2 residential Towers and a W Hotel when completed.  So thes drawing below has changed twice now and this will not be a final rendering either.  It was recently reported on the news that another architech is now working on the district.

Clayton City Condos Tower (Clayton) - approved

Of course, the "infamous" 88 story MW Tower by Mcgowan-Walsh
This tower is yet to be "released" ... MW now has the rendering on their website
http://www.mcgowanwalsh.com/

I'm sure I am missing some - but I thought I would post these. 
Last edited by STLguy1 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I thought the bottle district was all but dead.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

that 88 story tower will or would look out of place! IMO  funny that they use the kansas city skyline (with the arch) in the background on thier websitehttp://www.mcgowanwalsh.com/

grid, is that staubios bike on the bus in your avatar?  :D

*drunken post*
Last edited by schugg on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

This is the reason I'd like to see Kansas City work on it's whole urban area, other than just our Downtown and the Plaza. St. Louis has about 350,000 people in it's 60 square miles, however less people in it's Downtown, yet it is and will be kicking our butts for a while development wise. They have buildings that are already existing, as well as new construction.

Rest of my reply is in the KC sprawl thread (so it doesn't go off topic)
http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,11306.120.html
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

that 88 story tower will or would look out of place! IMO  funny that they use the kansas city skyline (with the arch) in the background on thier websitehttp://www.mcgowanwalsh.com/
The photo displays both skylines together.  STL's skyline is on the left and KC's is on the right.  M-W just added a project in KC this past year.  They are STL based and have a long portfolio of wonderful revitalization projects in STL for years. 

This tower has been rumored in STL since last spring and Kevin McGowan has even talked about the tower publicly in STL. I think that M-W has this on their burner, but are being cautious as well.  It is just interesting that they have added it to the skyline (STL's skyline) in the front page.  The original front page of their website did not have KC's skyline or that photo of STL's skyline on it - but did feature the new tower on the right.
photo from urbanstl's website:
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeh, it's not supposed to be a realistic portrayal of where the tower will be in the skyline.  M-W are the ones doing the Argyle in the Loop, and the big brown building in the Freighthouse district, along Broadway.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

warwickland wrote: for stl, new residential construction in downtown/ dt west is a HUGE deal, and believe me, im relieved to see this sort of architecture over there. over the past couple of decades, stl has had a fetish with mediocre to extremely bad historicism. this is huge.
Can you elaborate? Please give examples of what you mean when you suggest "mediocre to extremely bad historicism".

Also, considering that two new modern residential projects are to break ground between now and summer, I don't think this project is necessarily "HUGE" for downtown. It's a continuation of new proposals. The only factor that makes the Sky House proposal especially noteworthy is the fact that it is a modern building in the heart of the historic Washington Avenue Loft District, where there are turn-of-the-century warehouses. Perhaps you are suggesting this could be a harbinger of things to come – especially considering the many lots/parcels of land in this part of downtown?

Either way, developers and civic leaders have long known that new residential proposals and developments were imminent because most of the large historic buildings in downtown St. Louis have been renovated, under renovation or proposed for renovation. New proposals are invitable.

Also, St. Louis Centre is about to replaced with a $135-million, modern residential/mixed use project. The project should get underway later this year.

Building Excitement

15-story Park-Pacific, Cityside

Other websites
http://www.parkpacificstl.com/
http://www.roberts-companies.com/tower.htm
http://www.skyhousestlouis.com/
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

A few things:

-The Bottle District is not dead nor has it ever been. Quiet? Yes. Dead? No. The developer has never suggested otherwise. However, the Bottle District is in redesign and most likely won't look like the rendering shown above. The Bottle District has been redesigned about 4 or 5 times already. When will it commence construction? We don't know. BUT, word has it that it could start in the summer or early Fall.

-Because so many lofts, condos and apartments are on the market with many under construction and planned downtown, the Ballpark Village may not see all of the residential towers presented in the renderings get built. Cordish is skittish about building condos that might not get purchased because of a potential glut. Most likely though, there will be some highrise condos built - just due to the proximity to the ballpark and interstates.

-Lumiere Place, a $1-billion residential and entertainment addition to LaClede's Landing is underway. It will have new condos and residential - including a new tower.

-There is nothing - not even a newspaper article - which suggests that the MW Tower is proposed or is really going to happen. Although it would be nice, right now, it is just a pipe dream based on a picture found on a website.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

Either way, developers and civic leaders have long known that new residential proposals and developments were imminent because most of the large historic buildings in downtown St. Louis have been renovated, under renovation or proposed for renovation. New proposals are invitable.
That is so true.  There are literally no more buildings in Downtown St. Louis to be renovated into large scale residentials. 

Thanks for adding a few more I forgot above.  The 600 Washington project is amazing and really is one of my favorite things happening to downtown.  Thank God STL Centre is history and underway to this beautiful and modern residential / retail transformation!  I love it.