Renaissance development

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Renaissance development

Post by GRID »

Latest on Renaissance:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 973519.htm

Agreement over interchange aids Renaissance North

By MIKE RICE

The Kansas City Star

The developer of the proposed Renaissance North commercial and residential center has reached a key agreement with Kansas City that could lead to the start of construction this spring.

Under the agreement, which the Kansas City Tax Increment Financing Commission approved last week, the developer would pay the nearly $1.1 million to complete the intersection at the newly built Maplewoods Parkway and Missouri 1 and install traffic signals.

The city and developer had differed over who was responsible for that intersection. The developer thought it should have been the city's responsibility as part of the tax-increment-financing plan the City Council approved in 2000 for the 80-acre development south of Maple Woods Community College.

But city officials countered that the intersection is state property and would not qualify for city funding. They added that city money has become scarcer since the original plan was approved.

“We went after a fair and reasonable solution,'' said Kurt Degenhardt, who leads the Renaissance North development team. “We have tenants and leases that are ready to be signed and we want to have buildings open by the start of the Christmas retail season.â€
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Renaissance development

Post by KCN »

Well thank god. They cleared the land for this thing 3 years ago and never touched it since, except to build one road. I'm sure the people who had their homes bulldozed were glad to see them torn down for nothing for 3 years. This may work to add a new "hotspot" on 152 right in the middle, with the new movie theater having opened up one exit to the east. Hopefully MO Hwy 1/N. Indiana won't become a problem north of 152 because it's a windy country road that is rapidly finding itself surrounded by development. Maybe that's what the Maple Woods Pkwy was for....anyone know where it ends up? Does it hook up with Woodland Ave?
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Renaissance development

Post by kcmajik »

i think for time being it ends at ne 96th or something...eventually going to end at woodland i believe.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Renaissance development

Post by trailerkid »

Here is the site plan for Renaissance Plaza...don't know if it's been posted before:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Renaissance development

Post by chrizow »

uhhh..

i like that they are incorporating residential into it....but who wants to live in a sea of parking like that? that would be like buying a townhouse in SummitWoods.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Renaissance development

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:uhhh..

i like that they are incorporating residential into it....but who wants to live in a sea of parking like that? that would be like buying a townhouse in SummitWoods.
Chriz...I believe, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the residential portion of Renaissance North is south of the site plan I posted. It is mostly duplexes/townhomes and is called Renaissance Gardens while the commercial portion is called Renaissance Plaza.

Here is the web site: http://www.renaissancenorth.com/
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Renaissance development

Post by KCN »

bump. Last time I was up this way they had completed the intersection for Maple Woods Pkwy along Hwy 1...how is it looking now?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Renaissance development

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCN wrote:bump. Last time I was up this way they had completed the intersection for Maple Woods Pkwy along Hwy 1...how is it looking now?
Probably still looks the same as you saw it in that spot. It is completed on the north side of 152 but not connected on the south side yet. From the appearance of things today they don't seem to be too concerned with that yet. Perhaps that will be the finishing touch.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Renaissance development

Post by SWFan »

I was just by this area this past week.  They've pretty much put in all the roads you see in the master plan above.  No actually buildings or foundations are under way that I could see.  They've also added two sets of lights along M-1 that were never there before.  One set is dark, the other set (furthest south of MO-152) is up and running.

This is one area I've always wondered what was going on with it.  I moved up here back in 2001 and I can remember seeing signs for the development, but never seeing anything happen until late 2004.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I remember them clearing the land out in 2002, then it just sat there for 2 years.  I'm glad they finally got the streets paved and opened up.  I drove around there a little bit the other day.  I noticed along hwy 1 they have signs that say like "fast food site", "bank site" and "cstore site"
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

SWFan wrote:This is one area I've always wondered what was going on with it.  I moved up here back in 2001 and I can remember seeing signs for the development, but never seeing anything happen until late 2004.
Scroll up and see the article from Feb. 2004...  The original developer pulled out for health reasons, they had to find a new developer and  then had to redesign some of the infrastructure.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

Looks like a cluster f**k!  The city should never allow something like this to be built, no matter where it is!  The Northland is already suburban enough, why contribute to that pitiful lifestyle?  Sickening!
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

paisstat wrote: Looks like a cluster f**k!  The city should never allow something like this to be built, no matter where it is!  The Northland is already suburban enough, why contribute to that pitiful lifestyle?  Sickening!
Because its what people want.  You expect the cities of KC or Gladstone to vote counter to their constituencies?  The majority of people in any city flock to the suburban lifestyle.  The don't want crime, they don't want to live in "old" houses, they want everything "new", they want to be able to just pull up and park in front of a building, they don't want businesses near where they live, etc.  Its just the way it is.  Maybe some day attitudes will shift, but for now its a suburban world.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

SWFan wrote: Because its what people want.  You expect the cities of KC or Gladstone to vote counter to their constituencies?  The majority of people in any city flock to the suburban lifestyle.  The don't want crime, they don't want to live in "old" houses, they want everything "new", they want to be able to just pull up and park in front of a building, they don't want businesses near where they live, etc.  Its just the way it is.  Maybe some day attitudes will shift, but for now its a suburban world.
You are both right.  From the plans, it does look like another suburban cluster f**k.  However, it will probably be appealing to people that live in the area.  I think if they put some effort into it they could have designed something more urban-like that would have been very appealing.  ZR seems to be extremely popular even if Nota says it's failing.  :lol:
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Any recent news on this project?  I moved up here back in 2001 and it seems this project is constantly doing a little, then sitting untouched for years, doing a little, then going untouched for a year or two.  To me it looks like they haven't touched it since early last summer.

There are still no buildings or indications of buildings going up.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

SWFan wrote: Any recent news on this project?  I moved up here back in 2001 and it seems this project is constantly doing a little, then sitting untouched for years, doing a little, then going untouched for a year or two.  To me it looks like they haven't touched it since early last summer.

There are still no buildings or indications of buildings going up.
Nothing has changed.  They laid the roads and put a nice little statue at the entrance and since then it has just sat there for months.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I'm sure the people that lost their houses to this development are just thrilled it's been sitting there idle for years.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCN wrote: I'm sure the people that lost their houses to this development are just thrilled it's been sitting there idle for years.
I agree.  It's a shame.  Especially since there's plenty of other places they could have built this.  I'd be interested to hear the reason why this project is stalled.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I don't know if this is posted, but in case it isn't here is the link  to the Renaissance North development as obtained from www.blockandco.com  thier web-site has allot of other information about proposed developments around kansas city and a fun PDF flier for Renaisance North.

http://www.renaissancenorth.com/
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Have they actually built anything in this development yet? Or is this fast growning northland still vacant streets and a couple of statues? Those statues crack me up. Why would you install that before anything else was even built? That had to be someones pet project.  :lol: