Immigrant communities in KC

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Immigrant communities in KC

Post by Gretz »

Does anyone happen to know where the city's Senegalese immigrant community is centered and if there are any Senegalese restaurants, businesses or places where Senegalese typically congregate?  I know that there are a number of Senegalese immigrants in town and have heard rumor of them being located primarily in KCK but don't have any further info.  If anyone knows of any Mauritanian, Malian or Morocan communities, or more generally any Maghreb or Francophone west-African communities, I would be interested in that info as well.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Mauritania/Senegal from 2003-2005 and would like some contact with those communities, especially any Soninke or Pulaar/Fula/Fulani speaking peoples. 

More generally what immigrant communities exist in KC and where are they located.  We are probably all aware of Latin communities on the west-end and in KCK and Asian communities just northeast of DT.  What specific nationalities and neighborhoods are there here?  What others exist and where?  What obscure restaurants/bars/shops exist around town where one can have authentic experiences with world cultures right here in KC?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Immigrant communities in KC

Post by Tosspot »

The east side has a significant presence of Somalians now, who seem to have replaced the outgoing Italian immigrant population.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Columbus Park/Northeast is the Vietnamese part of town. I'm not sure where, but I think somewhere around downtown KCK is a sizeable Hmong population. Overland Park is starting to develop a pretty good Indian community thanks to Sprint.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

There are a lot of immigrants from India who live in Shawnee.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

Anyone know more about this Hmong community that kcmax talked about? Is that the same as hmung?
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I think we also have some Mexicans in the area. Ok bad joke :)
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

ThaMexican wrote: I think we also have some Mexicans in the area. Ok bad joke :)
just a few. :lol:    what are hmongs?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

schugg wrote: just a few. :lol:    what are hmongs?
Hmongs

They're nomadic people in Southeast Asia who have been persecuted by almost every country they've tried to live in.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

There's a huge Palestinian community southeast of Bannister. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Old Northeast has a big population of Sudanese, plus Somalians, Vietnamese, Hmong, and Bosnians.  A lot of them settle there because of the Don Bosco Center and its work with refuge aid agencies.

I don't about Francophone communities in particular, but the Old Northeast or KCK are the best best.  You could also ask the Don Bosco folks.  They teach ESL classes for most immigrant communities.

The Hmong church is in Rosedale in southest KCK, just off of State Line Road.  The community also runs a very successful manufacturing business in KCK...  http://www.hmongmfg.com
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCK wrote: There are a lot of immigrants from India who live in Shawnee.
Last summer I saw a group of what appeared to be either Indians or Pakistani's playing cricket at JCCC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCFutbol wrote: Last summer I saw a group of what appeared to be either Indians or Pakistani's playing cricket at JCCC.
I saw a "pickup" cricket game at Loose Park last week!!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The former Covenant Baptist Church at E. 9th and Harrison is/was a Vietnamese Church that also served Cambodians and Chinese. I don't know it it still is operating there though.

There are also a fairly large number* of Russians living in the Old Northeast, and Overland Park, and they publish a newspaper.

* Russian Community Center claims there are 17,000 Russian-speaking residents in the KC metro.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I met four dudes from Cote d'Ivoire a couple of weeks ago at the Empire Room and had a lengthy discussion about Gbagbo etc.  They said that they lived just a few blocks southeast of Martini corner.  They knew of various other West African communities spread out around the metro, including three Soninke families (whose language I speak) somewhere in Grandview.  Apparently some janitor at city hall is Soninke as well.  I have been in contact with them via email and next time they see this guy they're supposed to give him my number.  They also know a Senegalese aerospace engineer who works for boeing in Wichita but his family lives up here in KCK so he comutes in order to be close to the Senegalese community.  I hope to soon be eating Chub once a week at least.  :)  It's amazing what is around if only one takes the time to enquire and visit with people.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Serb-Croate enclave on and around Strawberry Hill in KCK.