ESPN Magazine: KC sweeps Ultimate Standings

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Everyone with inferioritus needs to take heed...KC is on top as most of the rest of us always knew. ESPN Magazine recently listed the Ultimate Standings of sports franchises and KC was the top perfomer. Check it out...
Maybe the big boys will learn that their financial viability and on-field success depends more than ever on satisfying fans' needs. But right now, places like Kansas City and Ottawa are th smart-money markets, not Chicago or Washington.
Ultimate Cities (Among the 33 metros with more than one team):
1. Kansas City
2. St. Louis
3. Nashville

Ultimate Coaches:
1. Bill Parcels
2. Dick Vermeil
3. Jerry Sloan

Ultimate Jumps (Franchises that moved the most from last year in our rankings):
1. Marlins
2. Royals
3. Cowboys

Ultimate Standings:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Kansas City Chiefs
[The Chiefs pay attention to community, and it pays off for them. Every player must make at least five public apearances annually. Coach Dick Vermeil, who doesn't allow call-screening on his radio show, lives downtown and hangs out with whomever show up at hot spots like the Plaza III steakhouse. The players give love on the field (NFL's top-scoring O) and fans give it back: 108 straight sellouts and season ticket-holders from 45 states, Puerto Rico and Canada. ]

25. Kansas City Royals.
[How does a team leap 58 spots in our standings? Inspired promotions (free Krispy Kreme for every 12-hit game), inspired product (KC's first winning season since 1994, which means crowd favorite Mike Sweeney's locked up through 2007)., inspired fans (23,000 a game) inspired pricing ($12 a seat on average, MLB's second-cheapest) and inspired leadership (Manager of the Year Tony Pena had players wear "We Believe" T-Shirts). As the song says, everythings's up-to-date in Kansas City. ]
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Nice...what issue was this in? Now the rest of the nation can learn what we already know...good time to be in KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It is in the most recent issue (came in the mail today) with Isiah Thomas and Stephon Marbury on the cover.

Oh yeah...and Vermeil does not live downtown does he? I couldn't imagine that. Maybe the Plaza? I guess I always saw him in a Mission Hills/Ward Parkway area house. Maybe they thought the Plaza was our downtown. :roll:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Vermeil has a condo on the Plaza, which is easy enough for an outsider to think of as Downtown. And hell, Mayor Barnes definition of Downtown does include the Plaza. The players usually live in Hallbrook, Lakewood or The Cliffs.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Where is Hallbrook?
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCforumer wrote:Where is Hallbrook?
Leawood I believe...very, very nice homes
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

On a side note, Kaufmann Stadium will be included in a Travel Channel program on best AL stadiums. I think it runs March 10 or March 20. Pat Sajak, of all people, is the host.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KC0KEK wrote:On a side note, Kaufmann Stadium will be included in a Travel Channel program on best AL stadiums. I think it runs March 10 or March 20. Pat Sajak, of all people, is the host.
Oh great, now we'll never get a new downtown ballpark. All the anti-new ballpark peeps will be using this as their amunition.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:
KC0KEK wrote:On a side note, Kaufmann Stadium will be included in a Travel Channel program on best AL stadiums. I think it runs March 10 or March 20. Pat Sajak, of all people, is the host.
Oh great, now we'll never get a new downtown ballpark. All the anti-new ballpark peeps will be using this as their amunition.
i agree....this is a minor, yet negative impact to how the need for a downtown stadium is viewed
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

That was my earlier arguement on the "Downtown" board.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.