1118 McGee St

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

1118 McGee St

Post by jimb »

Did anyone notice this tidbit the bottom of Joyce Smith's column today?
Developers are renovating a five-level building at 1118 McGee St. for an entertainment complex that will include an upscale restaurant, a bar with a dance floor and professional stage, a game room, a special-event space and bed-and-breakfast suite, and a rooftop cafe. The complex will be called Studio Restaurant & Bar.
I tried to do a search for an existing thread but kept getting server errors, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.  Sounds like a cool spot a couple of blocks north of the arena.  Anybody know any more?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 1118 McGee St

Post by tat2kc »

I saw that in the paper also. It sounds like a  pretty cool space. I cannot recall what the building looks like, or whats around it.  But, this is the kind of development that the arena and the P&L district will encourage. Bravo!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kiva is your friend:

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/proje ... 9&jur=KCMO

it's on the kansas city and national register of historic buildings as the "Louis Curtiss Studio Building".

owner is:

PLESCIA ENTERPRISES LLC
716 E 91ST ST
KANSAS CITY, MO, 64131

ordinance 060896 approved unanimously by city council on 8/17/06:
Notice received by the City Clerk from the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority of Kansas City, Missouri regarding a Notice of Intent to Accept the Redevelopment Contract Proposal submitted by Plescia Enterprises, LLC for redevelopment of 1118 McGee project in the Downtown Loop PIEA Redevelopment Area.
info on the developer (from google cache):
Tony Plescia   

Experience
  Reece & Nichols: One Company, One Resource, One Solution. Reece & Nichols lists and sells more homes in Kansas City than any other local or national company.
  Reece & Nichols has over 2200 sales associates that would rather sell your house than one listed by a competitor.
  With over $5 Billion in sales in 2001, Reece & Nichols brings experience and exposure unmatched by any other firm.
  President/CEO of Plescia Enterprises, L.L.C. a Real-Estate Investment and Renovation Company since 1989.   Approved direct vendor for Fannie Mae as a contractor since 1992.
  Skilled in virtually all trades of home construction/repair/renovation to offer knowledgeable insight for any home.

Organizations
  Our computerized COOP and Cross-Referencing appointment setting system makes it easier for any Realtor in town to show your home.
  Our membership in RELO, whose members produced over $212 billion in sales in 2000, brings us an additional source of buyers for your home
  Member, National Association of REALTORS
  Member, Heartland MLS (Multiple Listing Service)
  Member, National Locksmiths Association.
  Voted Honorary Member Tribe of Mic-O-Say

Education
  St. Joseph Grade School, Shawnee, KS
  Rockhurst High School, Kansas City, MO
  Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
  Career Education Systems, Real-Estate Pre-License
  Reece & Nichols Corporate Training Facility, Post license
  Foley Belsaw Institute of Locksmithing
  ICS School of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

also, some history...

http://www.downtownkc.org/content.aspx? ... xCompID=82

[quote]Contractor may have to sell Curtis studio, 6/28/2005
By Brian Burnes, The Kansas City Star

The downtown bachelor pad of Louis Curtiss, one of Kansas City’s most influential architects, needs a rescue.

Curtiss’ former home and studio at 1118-1120 McGee St. has been undergoing renovation by a Kansas City contractor, but he says he has run out of money and may have to sell it.

That worries those who treasure Kansas City’s architectural legacy. Curtiss is regarded as a father of the modern glass office building, but he is also remembered for cutting an entrance from his third-floor apartment to gain free access to a burlesque house next-door.

“Louis Curtiss was the Frank Lloyd Wright of Kansas City, and the building has a huge amount of historical context,â€
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

cribbed from flickr, will get a proper one later:

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The owner has been proposing this for several years.  Lets hope he can pull it off now and save this gem.  There once was a theatre to the south and Curtiss had a door cut through so he could see the performances without having to go outdoors.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

DaveKCMO wrote: cribbed from flickr, will get a proper one later:

Ah, that building.  I like it.  Hopefully this is a success.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Ah yes.... I've walked by this building several times and thought to myself that this would be a shoo-in to be fixed up and reopened after the arena opens.  Looks like my timetable has been beat. :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

proper pix:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

all the windows are covered now and lots of clinkity-clankity sounds emanating from within.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That building is significant in that it commonly cited as being one of two of the first metal and glass curtain wall buildings constructed in the United States. The other being the Boley Building--also designed by Louis Curtiss.  Both buildings were constructed around the same time -- in the years 1908-09.  I believe the Boley Building was completed first, so it is considered the first metal and glass curtain wall building completed in the USA.
There is no fifth destination.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sokkerdewd »

"Dance floor & professional stage."  This makes me wonder who will be performing... comedians, queens, musicians, ????  Hopefully this place will offer something that doesn't exist downtown now.  It'd be great to have something different.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

sokkerdewd wrote: "Dance floor & professional stage."  This makes me wonder who will be performing... comedians, queens, musicians, ????  Hopefully this place will offer something that doesn't exist downtown now.  It'd be great to have something different.
Isn't this for the business with multiple personality disorder - the sushi bar/italian restaurant/nightclub/karaoke bar/sports bar/whatever else we can think of?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Isn't this for the business with multiple personality disorder - the sushi bar/italian restaurant/nightclub/karaoke bar/sports bar/whatever else we can think of?
I think that is the one next to Arun on Walnut in the CBD, unless I'm missing an MPD business.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think your right - there surely isn't enough market DT for two sushi bar/italian restaurant/nighclub/karaoke bar/sports bars.  Hell, once one opens, there may not be a market for any other DT bar restaurant period :D
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I think your right - there surely isn't enough market DT for two sushi bar/italian restaurant/nighclub/karaoke bar/sports bars.  Hell, once one opens, there may not be a market for any other DT bar restaurant period :D
I guess we'll find out.  Last night, I was thinking that I'd like to go to a sushi bar/italian restaurant/nightclub/karaoke bar/sports bar but I couldn't think of one, so I just stayed in.  It might do okay.  8)
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

This block is in pretty bad shape.  If I remember correctly it has a completely vacant lot directly north of the building and then rubs up against a parking garage on the other side.  Not to mention McGee being very dead in the loop.  This building is very much worth saving.  The only half way justifiable reason to lose it if somebody developed the whole block into offices, residential, and retail....but that isn't likely.  You would think housing this close to the entertainment district would be ideal. 
And like with any super districts (KC-Live, Block E, Times Square, etc) the more urban enthusiast is looking for action a couple blocks from the obvious center.  We are already seeing people comprehending this notion with the development going south towards Crown Center along Grand.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I doubt it would ever be torn down because of the uproar that would ensue from local preservationists and architects.  The only scenario I could imagine if it were completely destroyed by fire.

The renovation of the Professional and Argyle buildings might make it a bit more marketable location. With so many government workers nearby, I would think it would be a good location for a nice restaurant.  Not a fast-food place, but something with linens and real plates and silverwear. A place to smooze and have retirement lunches for employees.  A restaurant similar to--or on the level of--Harry's Westport, J.J.'s, Pierpont's, Lydia's, City Tavern, Zin, Majestic Steakhouse, or Savoy Grill might find a customer base there.  Being out of the way might be an advantage after awhile when the P&L District opens. Downtown workers and residents on the east side might tire of mingling with tourists and conventioneers during lunch.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

The first floor housed a rock bar called Benders for a minute back in '02. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It must be true now, it's on these internets

http://www.thestudiodowntown.com/
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc