Professional Building?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Professional Building?

Post by chrizow »

property owners/managers cannot refuse housing to someone based on race or gender or other "protected classes."

"student" is not a protected class. 
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

What is the reason for students being illegal? A lot of students are in the struggle.

The only thing I can think of is to keep the spoiled students (their parents) from taking advantage of the rents designed for the working class. I hate to sound stupid, but that's all I can think of.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: property owners/managers cannot refuse housing to someone based on race or gender or other "protected classes."

"student" is not a protected class. 
They may not be a "protected class", but I would consider them a "poorly defined" class.  So, if you have a job AND you go to school.... are you a member of the work force or a student?  I would say 1 trumps 2.  Am I a student because I am forced to take a certain number of hours of continuing education to keep my certification even though I am well into my career?  I think that designation should only apply to full time students who are supported by parents, scholarships etc... 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Highlander wrote: They may not be a "protected class", but I would consider them a "poorly defined" class.  So, if you have a job AND you go to school.... are you a member of the work force or a student?  I would say 1 trumps 2.  Am I a student because I am forced to take a certain number of hours of continuing education to keep my certification even though I am well into my career?  I think that designation should only apply to full time students who are supported by parents, scholarships etc... 
The qualification applies to full-time students.  If you're only taking a few hours, you'd be fine.

More than you ever wanted to know about this topic
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would assume that the reason for the student ban has nothing to do with protecting the working class or any other economic factor.  I imagine that they are trying to avoid any sort of a "dorm" like atmosphere creeping into the building.  If you have people partying till the wee hours on week nights, leaving trash in the hallways, stumbling through the building drunk at all hours, and other assorted student-like behavior; it can be a real turnoff to tennants who are no longer living that lifestyle or schedule.  I wouldn't stereotype all "students" as behaving like this but I have lived in some places where there were real issues with this.  Its amazing how fast a person can transition from being the life of the party to being a stick in the mud after you graduate, get a 8-5 job and have to deal with your neighbors partying like its new years eve every wednesday night. 
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC ROO »

^ That is so true. Even though I am only 24, I am so over that now.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

lock+load wrote: Students aren't eligible for subsided rent. That is the law.
Section 42(i)(3)(D) of the Code provides exemptions to the student rule for certain
student types. An applicant claiming any of the exemptions must be able to provide
documentation to prove that status. For a student to be considered a qualified tenant,
they must be one of the following:

a. A student and receiving assistance under Title IV of the Social Security Act;
b. A student enrolled in a job training program receiving assistance under the Job
Training Partnership Act or under a similar Federal, State or local program;
c. A student that is a single parent with children and such parent and children are
not dependents (as defined in IRC Section 152) claimed by another individual;
d. A student that is married and files a joint tax return.
Last edited by trailerkid on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.