OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by staubio »

scooterj wrote: I couldn't really form an opinion on the glass due to the time of day I saw it.  I expected it to be a lot more reflective, but since I saw it at 11pm and lit from the inside it's impossible to judge just how reflective it actually is.

It appears they are working on the arena around-the-clock now, there were workers there at 11pm last night.
It doesn't help that it is rather dirty and at one of the worst angles for viewing unless you are right under the building.  We'll get a better impression as more panels go up.

If I can get out of work before dark, I'll go snap a photo.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

here are some photos of the arena from late afternoon ... its kind of a dreary, overcast day, so pardon the quality...

from truman road, looking north, between walnut & grand

the arena, looking up grand...

the area with the glass

and a few close ups (again, its overcast...)

and a couple more of the arena...

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wonder if the seemingly random patterning of clear and frosted glass is actually planned out for all 2,000+ panes?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

moderne wrote:   Wonder if the seemingly random patterning of clear and frosted glass is actually planned out for all 2,000+ panes?
Judging by the samples I've seen and the renderings, I'd say it is.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

at 2000 pieces glass, going up in 6 months, thats 333+ panel per month, or 83 a week. This will be cool to see go up so fast!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I do love the random pattern of the frosted and cleer glass. even having the etching on the same pane as the cleer. This is going to look so good. I do want to know though. I was out of the loop for about a week. In this week there has been alot going on that I missed. I heard from my partner that the Majic was comming to KC but I can't find anything to read to support this. Is this true or false?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

False
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Thanks
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Here are some pics of the individual window panes.  The window textures are really cool!
Attachments
DSC01239 (Medium).JPG
DSC01238 (Medium).JPG
"Let's get it!"
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

More.
Attachments
DSC01242 (Small).JPG
DSC01240 (Small).JPG
"Let's get it!"
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Long wrote: I think he's referring to the "art" installation, not the glass.

Yes, and it was sarcastic...

But I still have a little dismay over the "bend" in the arena...I just imagined it bent a little more...the last thing I really want is this soft bubbly world class design to end up a jagged pinnacle of our screwups
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

im2kull wrote: Yes, and it was sarcastic...

But I still have a little dismay over the "bend" in the arena...I just imagined it bent a little more...the last thing I really want is this soft bubbly world class design to end up a jagged pinnacle of our screwups
what a surprise. someone else in kansas city is complaining about something in kansas city
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

mister816 wrote: what a surprise. someone else in kansas city is complaining about something in kansas city
im complaining with the renderings and what im getting...

and who the hell in their right mind supports our money getting us the "art" we are getting with this project

and a little FYI...I fully support the arena..and I would have voted yes on it had i been able to
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

im2kull wrote: im complaining with the renderings and what im getting...

and who the hell in their right mind supports our money getting us the "art" we are getting with this project

and a little FYI...I fully support the arena..and I would have voted yes on it had i been able to
Dude your complaining after they have 8 panels on. Don't you think its a little early to declare another kc f*ck up. Give it more time and then judge.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

cpt4599 wrote: Dude your complaining after they have 8 panels on. Don't you think its a little early to declare another kc f*ck up. Give it more time and then judge.
im judgeing by the framework..the windows cant be that far off...i am just saying i thought the buldge in the frame would be bigger
THINK (ONE) KC.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

im2kull wrote: Yes, and it was sarcastic...

I'm sure the latest renderings are accurate.

Pushing the widest point out anything less than 10-15 feet more and we're just fussing over proportions, we're not really making any more of a dramatic statement. 

I think the design is fine, especially as far as sports venues goes.  It isn't as dramatic as the UFO, but its still nothing like any other sports facility that comes to mind.  It does borrow from the Allianz Stadium in Europe, but our arena is all glass where Allianz is an inflatable membrane that you can't see through.

I don't think the design will ever be responsible for the arena becoming some sort of jagged pinnacle of our screw-ups.  Design-wise, I think Kemper is pretty nice.  Definitely dramatic.  Maybe a little weak functionally, but I don't think Kemper had any major shortcomings that couldn't have been dealt with had it been built in a better location.  It's actually too bad Kemper wasn't built downtown, closer to Bartle, because they share some design elements. 

If the arena becomes a failure, like Kemper, it won't be because of the design.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

anniewarbucks wrote: I do love the random pattern of the frosted and cleer glass. even having the etching on the same pane as the cleer. This is going to look so good. I do want to know though. I was out of the loop for about a week. In this week there has been alot going on that I missed. I heard from my partner that the Majic was comming to KC but I can't find anything to read to support this. Is this true or false?
Orlando (where the Magic currently play) announced a plan for a new arena, locking the team there.

Sacramento has a vote in a few weeks for a new arena, and its not going well. I'm not saying their basketball team (the Kings, who used to play here) are going to move here, but its not totally out of the question if things fall apart in Sacramento.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Joe KC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Joe KC »

This arena looks like a Butler building

&
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower