OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

OFFICIAL - East Village

Post by FangKC »

I was in the New Quality Hill management office today signing a new lease for my apartment. The agent and I were discussing the downtown housing market. The agent told me that NQH is always 95 percent leased--even with all the new housing coming on the market downtown.

The other non-leased 5 percent at NQH were apartments in transition between tenants (being cleaned, repainted, etc), and they don't usually remain vacant for more than 30 days. She said that all the new housing (like in the library district) has had no effect on their vacancy rates.

For those who don't know, McCormick Baron manages more than 400 apts. in the New Quality Hill Apartment community on the westside of downtown.

While we were discussing all the older buildings downtown being converted to housing, I casually mentioned that I would like to see a housing development similar to NQH on the eastside of downtown. She told me she'd heard there is a development plan being put together for an initial phase of 300 new apartments near the federal building on E. 12th Street.

The agent didn't know yet if McCormick Baron would be involved in the development or management of them. McCormick Baron and DST were responsible for redeveloping the westside of downtown in the late 1980s and early '90s. She indicated that it take a few years before the apartments would be available, since it will take time to assemble and clear the properties, put financing together, find contractors, etc.

She didn't indicate the precise boundaries of the area to be developed. I'm assuming she meant north and east of E. 12th St. and Cherry. It makes me wonder if this is the fallback plan for the area the city assembled and hoped the new Federal Reserve Bank would occupy.

Has anyone else heard anything?

* A sidenote. While I was in the office lobby at NQH waiting to see my agent (10 minutes), I saw one new tenant signing a lease, and two different people come in off the street to ask to see apartments. The receptionist told them that they'd have to make appointments, because the leasing agents were too busy showing apts. to accommodate them today.

----------------------------
Tax Bahua, not the rest of us. :P
There is no fifth destination.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: East Village downtown neighborhood

Post by dangerboy »

This was discussed back when the city was trying to get the Federal Reserve Bank to move to the Civic Mall area. At that time McCormack Baron they were interested in building a new neighborhood similar to Quality Hill in that area. Good news to hear that they are following through on that idea and working on a development plan.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they are always busy, when I'm in there to pick up a package or something, there is a steady flow of people.

I'd like to see the east side housing go up a bit especially with new highrise redevelopment like University Tower, etc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Given a choice, would you rather see:

A similar development to New Quality Hill with 300 units of 3-story apartment buildings and townhouses (and a couple of parking garages) covering multiple blocks for the purpose of infilling the entire area and creating a vibrant neighborhood in the next 3 years; or,

Three 10-story apartment towers with 100 units apiece (and a parking garage to service them) covering only a couple of blocks built over the next 10 years, with the possibility of additional towers being built as demand arises (for a total of 1,200 units) within the next 30 years; or,

One 30-story apartment tower (300 units) and garage covering 1 square block built within the next 3 years, with 3-4 additional 20-story apartment towers (200 units each) and garages built over the next 20 years (for a total of 900 units); or,

No housing development; instead, reserve the area for high-rise office building construction over the next 30 years?
There is no fifth destination.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

FangKC wrote:Given a choice, would you rather see:

A similar development to New Quality Hill with 300 units of 3-story apartment buildings and townhouses (and a couple of parking garages) covering multiple blocks for the purpose of infilling the entire area and creating a vibrant neighborhood in the next 3 years,

or

Three 10-story apartment towers with 100 units apiece (and a parking garage to service them) covering only a couple of blocks built over the next 10 years, with the possibility of additional towers being built as demand arises (for a total of 1,200 units) within the next 30 years?

or one 30-story apartment tower (300 units) and garage covering 1 square block built within the next 3 years, with 3-4 additional 20-story apartment towers (200 units each) and garages built over the next 20 years (for a total of 900 units)?
Interesting question.

At the risk of sounding like Devin, I'd take the one 30-story building. It would set a precedent for future development focused on density. Assuming the momentum of downtown keeps on trucking, we might need the density and building the smaller units could take up space that could come later. Besides, I'm a fan of the "if you build it, they will come" mentality. A building of that stature packed with residents will bring more investment into the area, which will in turn bring more interest in housing, etc, etc.

I might settle for the smaller towers, though, because we'll always have space to infill and that would still have a profound effect. With either options, of course, I'd want street level retail in the buildings to the infill was useful to people on the street.

That is my gripe with quality hill. All of that space is wasted to me. I guess some people don't want a lot of activity outside their homes, but there is no reason for me to head up the hill. As much as I love quality hill and think it is great to have a variety of housing options in the downtown area, I think it hurts the density that drives downtowns to be packed with options. We can't do a lot more there unless we tear down and rebuild. The neighborhood itself isn't mixed with options -- it is housing. Sure, it is a short walk down to Broadway, but it isn't in the mix of things.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

FangKC wrote:Given a choice, would you rather see:

A similar development to New Quality Hill with 300 units of 3-story apartment buildings and townhouses (and a couple of parking garages) covering multiple blocks for the purpose of infilling the entire area and creating a vibrant neighborhood in the next 3 years; or,

Three 10-story apartment towers with 100 units apiece (and a parking garage to service them) covering only a couple of blocks built over the next 10 years, with the possibility of additional towers being built as demand arises (for a total of 1,200 units) within the next 30 years; or,

One 30-story apartment tower (300 units) and garage covering 1 square block built within the next 3 years, with 3-4 additional 20-story apartment towers (200 units each) and garages built over the next 20 years (for a total of 900 units); or,

No housing development; instead, reserve the area for high-rise office building construction over the next 30 years?
Give me the 3-year development. I don't want to wait til I'm in my 40s, 50s or 60s jus' to see another 30-story building. Get more housing downtown now, and the skyscrapers will come...being built from the Loop to Crown Center.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Yeah !! Baaaaaaby!

But that will NEVER happen... the east loop is GHETTO & GOVT. & NOBODY'S buyin' it. The Federal Reserve Bank was only hope for the next 10 years and they pulled out ( the bastards!)
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

not really, residential is the best possibility. a 30 floor building surrounded by 12 floor highrises would be nice. but I'd be satisfied with a bunch of buildings like the new 4646 Broadway
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

My answer is "something," instead of "what's there."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plans are coming out describing the much talked about neighborhood on the east side of the Central Business Loop.

No official plans have been filed with the city but the plans so far call for a 12 block neighborhood between Illus Davis park, Charlotte, 8th to 12th st.  1,300 residential units would be included along with 80,000 sf. of retail and 175,000 sf. of offices.  JE Dunn has been approached to move their HQ's in the office portion.

Sherman Associates out of MPLS is the main developer in the project.

All kinds of hurdles must be crossed before this comes reality but sounds like a great start of a great neighborhood.

Read more in 8/17's Star, front page.

Aerial of the area.
Attachments
eastvillageaerial.JPG
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

what about all those poor surface parking lots that would be displaced? where would everyone park?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

kcdcchef wrote: what about all those poor surface parking lots that would be displaced? where would everyone park?
Sniff, sniff..... does anyone smell natural gas .....?
A fool and your money are soon united.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i smell something, not natural gas though............
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

kcdcchef wrote: i smell something, not natural gas though............
In other words, downtown parking seems to be quite a sore point of contention on this forum. I was bracing for the inevitable onslaught. Or was that the intent?  :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yeah, and thank you for not smelling the blatent SARCASM and fucking up my karma!!!!!!! have you never read my posts ever???? i am just being a dick about what some idiots in this area do say,,,,, parking, parking, parking. i know we have enough. geez!!!!!!!!!
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, and thank you for not smelling the blatent SARCASM and fucking up my karma!!!!!!! have you never read my posts ever???? i am just being a dick about what some idiots in this area do say,,,,, parking, parking, parking. i know we have enough. geez!!!!!!!!!
I'm as sarcastic as they come, but I still like to have all of my bases covered.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

and then some evidently. when i go to the east village when it happens, i will park in your yard and walk from there. across the river and all.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

kcdcchef wrote: and then some evidently. when i go to the east village when it happens, i will park in your yard and walk from there. across the river and all.
Just be careful. Those river bridges can be pretty harrowing during heavy traffic.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i will go south during the 5 oclock rush, i should be fine
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Here's the city's planning info for this area:  http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=5954.0

What happened to McCormack Baron?  They were supposed to be all ready to do another Quality Hill development in this location.