Houses for rent

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Jessie
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Houses for rent

Post by Jessie »

The boyfriend and I are thinking about moving at the end our lease. We have been living in QH since last January and have been having major issues with maintenance (think broken garbage disposal, broken alarm system, mold on the walls, all not fixed for WEEKS). Anyway, this post isn't for ranting. We're thinking about trying to rent a house in KC but don't really know where to look. Does anyone have ideas on areas where there are lots of houses or duplexes for rent?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Houses for rent

Post by chrizow »

i think you should definitely look in the Volker/KU Med area.  there are lots of cool old homes there, of varying sizes, for very reasonable rents.  i was walking around Volker this weekend and noticed several "for rent" signs.  Bell, Terrace, Mercier, Holly, Roanoke, Wyoming, et al from, say 42nd up to 36th is a great, affordable area. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: i think you should definitely look in the Volker/KU Med area.  there are lots of cool old homes there, of varying sizes, for very reasonable rents.  i was walking around Volker this weekend and noticed several "for rent" signs.  Bell, Terrace, Mercier, Holly, Roanoke, Wyoming, et al from, say 42nd up to 36th is a great, affordable area. 
House rentals in Volker start at $1000 and go up to $2000 and beyond.  If you get lucky you might find something tiny for $800.  It's a great neighborhood and I love living here, but in my opinion the prices are too high.

You can probably find a better value in Valentine or maybe the Dutch Hill/Longfellow area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i guess i was extrapolating based on my friend's rent.  they have a large 3-bedroom 2-story near 41st and Mercier that is $900 a month. 

also, don't forget about KCK just across the state line from Volker, West Plaza, and Valentine.  the housing stock is similar, but the prices are better. 
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

My girlfriend and I have rented a 3-bedroom house leased by the 'Valentine Neighborhood' for the last two years now and they've been really great.  I don't have their number on me but their office is at the corner of 34th and Jefferson.  They usually have a house or two available.

Luckily, you'll have plenty of options! 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The alarm just broke in my Quality Hill apartment, but I won't be calling about it, since I've never used it in three years, and never plan on using it.

In response to your question, the East side of Troost, near Armour, has a lot of affordable houses. I have some friends that lived right near Armour and Forest for years, and loved it. In any case, I'd recommend just scouting an area for "for rent" signs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

riebschlager wrote: My girlfriend and I have rented a 3-bedroom house leased by the 'Valentine Neighborhood' for the last two years now and they've been really great.  I don't have their number on me but their office is at the corner of 34th and Jefferson.  They usually have a house or two available.

Luckily, you'll have plenty of options! 
lioness?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

a couple of my friends lived over off virginia and armour, a block west of the paseo.  the houses were very nice... and very cheap...
another friend of mine lived in this really nice, and really big and cheap apartment on armour boulevard just east of troost on the north side of the street. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

but, valentine homes is a great place.  34th and jefferson is the rental office, the number is on the awning.
typically big, four bedroom shirtwaist houses going for 800-1000, with great access to the entire city and big stone porches.

also, south hyde park, near 42nd street...

http://kc.backpage.com/gyrobase/classif ... for%20rent
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

Yep Dave, that's it.  It's a rather odd situation they have going on over there.  All I know is that I write rent checks to KC Life Insurance Company...?
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

riebschlager wrote: All I know is that I write rent checks to KC Life Insurance Company...?
Are those the houses that KC Life owns?  Plans were around a few years ago to build high end townhouses, etc in the area just to the south of Browne's Deli.  Is this the same place you're mentioning?
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Northeast.
Scarritt.
Great value. Excellent housing stock. Great neighborhood leadership and initiatives.
Pendleton ain't bad either!

Sportster
...not that i'm biased.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Pendleton ain't bad either!
Actually, rumor has it, that it rocks.

I'll put in a vote for Valentine. I have a great 2 BR that is dirt cheap - and in nice shape. It's great being walking distance to Westport/Plaza/39th st.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

There are some duplexes on Walrond just off of Meyer.  Most of them are owned by Hunter Residential (6609-6629).  I think they might have one vacancy right now.  Not sure what their rates are but I can tell you there is parking in the back of each duplex so no one has to park in the street(although you could if you wanted to I guess), and the guy who owns them and does the mantainance lives on the same block.  you can find contact info at www.hunterresidential.com
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

no one has said this yet, despite (or perhaps because of) its relative obviousness:  WALDO.  lotsa homes for rent down that way.  pretty far from downtown, though.
Last edited by chrizow on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessie
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jessie »

I hear Scaritt and Pendleton are not that great of neighborhoods to live in though, am I wrong? Also, where is Sportster? That's a neighborhood I haven't heard of yet...
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Jessie wrote: I hear Scaritt and Pendleton are not that great of neighborhoods to live in though, am I wrong? Also, where is Sportster? That's a neighborhood I haven't heard of yet...
"Sportster" isn't so much a neighborhood as it is a state of mind.  8) 8) (ahem!!)
"Sportster" is my handle and also one of the bikes I ride.

Scarritt & Pendleton are both great neighborhoods with quality people living there who, really care about making their neighborhood a better place for everyone to live.
Both neighborhoods have extremely active neighborhood associations that are actively involved on a number if different levels of city government and proactively work with law enforcement, codes and neighborhood & community services officials on improving quality of life for every resident who lives in their neighborhoods.
The President of Pendleton, Gary Marsh is a very good friend of mine. I am the President of Scarritt Renaissance as a point of record. Both neighborhoods have their strong points and their weak points. That said, both neighborhoods are working both independently as well as in tandem to improve things throughout Historic Northeast.
Its not just a one person show, we have active neighbors and active partnerships that work with neighbors to solve problems for the long term.

I would invite you and your boyfriend to drive through the neighborhoods you are interested in. Contact neighborhood association presidents, go to a meeting or two. This city has a variety of excellent urban neighborhoods, each with assets that go far deeper than what you see from the curb.
Talk to neighbors. Ask them to describe the negative side of their neighborhoods.

I can sit here all night long and fill you full of all sorts of marketing BILE about Scarritt is this or Scarritt is that.

It means bupkis.

Talk to neighbors. Walk around on a Saturday afternoon or weekday night. Get a feel for the neighborhood.

For me, Northeast is a great place to live. Yeah, we've got our issues but so will every other neighborhood in Kansas City - urban or suburban.

Sportster
...geez. someone take my soapbox!  :shock: 8) 8)
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

kclofter, sorry for the 2-day-delayed response, but yes, those are the houses.  they've been completely gutting and rehabbing houses in the neighborhood and selling them for $250k and up.  i've been assuming that the houses that they're not touching (i.e. ours) will just be demolished if kc life goes ahead with their plans.

we talked with our landlord about buying an empty lot in the neighborhood to build on and we got the reply that they were "definitely not going to sell" anything.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i lived in the Deitz building, at 3410 Jefferson, in 2001-2002, and that neighborhood is irksome.  most of valentine is great, but north of 35th street its just a bunch of empty lots and very dialed down activity.  it was quiet, and had great access, but overall i didn't like the amount of empty lots and parking lots - it didn't feel right...
Jessie
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jessie »

Hmmm, many good suggestions. We'll have to go drive through some of these neighborhoods this weekend.

Sportster, sorry I mistook your sig for a neighborhood, must be the blond hair ; )