Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Rolling Roof supporters claim that Kansas City could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved. What do you think?

Yes
80%
No
16%
I don't participate in polls
4%

Total votes: 49

Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: something either posnanski or whitlock said, if one passes and two fails, the nfl and lamar hunt will FIND a way to get that super bowl, and i would say the same of a final four.
Didn't see either of those columns, but thanks for pointing it out. I agree.
AllThingsKC wrote: Well, that's great and everything, but how is Arrowhead having a retractable roof going to help the Final Four at Kauffman Stadium?

(Note: I'm just kidding, so don't even dignify that with a response!)   8)
:lol:
Tropicana Stadium down in Tampa (almost EXACTLY the same seating bowl configuration as the K) had one just a few years ago! Why can't the K???  :lol:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Burton wrote: Tropicana Stadium down in Tampa (almost EXACTLY the same seating bowl configuration as the K) had one just a few years ago! Why can't the K???  :lol:
LOL.  Really?  Then, I guess we DO NEED the rolling roof for Kauffman.  LOL!!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: Didn't see either of those columns, but thanks for pointing it out. I agree.
:lol:
Tropicana Stadium down in Tampa (almost EXACTLY the same seating bowl configuration as the K) had one just a few years ago! Why can't the K???  :lol:
probably because the rolling roof would not weatherproof kauffman, it is in the plan to make it where it will help to enclose arrowhead, some sort of panels would get attached too.

tropicana had it? wow. the ncaa standards are way off the charts. that place is a shithole.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: probably because the rolling roof would not weatherproof kauffman, it is in the plan to make it where it will help to enclose arrowhead, some sort of panels would get attached too.

tropicana had it? wow. the ncaa standards are way off the charts. that place is a shithole.
Yeah I was just kidding about the Final Four at the K.
Tropicana had the Final Four in 1999, yes it's a dump.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Looks like this poll can go away now.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14209754.htm

Sources: Roof could prompt NCAA push
KC has eyes on Final Four

First came the pledge of a Super Bowl if Arrowhead Stadium is overhauled and a roof added.

Then Major League Baseball promised its All-Star Game if Kauffman Stadium is upgraded.

Now it appears Kansas City may add an NCAA men’s basketball Final Four to the list of possibilities.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

They are making it harder for me to oppose the roof I must admit.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: They are making it harder for me to oppose the roof I must admit.
all star game
superbowl
final four

there are some no votes and undecideds becoming yeses as they read the star today.

i cannot wait to hear kietzman go off today, i love listening to him get mad.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Mr. Cranky
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mr. Cranky »

a post so nice i made it twice.
Last edited by Mr. Cranky on Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Cranky
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mr. Cranky »

WHY STOP THERE?

The New Arrowhead can do it all! Here's some more sporting events coming to Kansas City you'll be hearing about before next Tuesday:

- The Kentucky Derby, but those turns will be pretty sharp.

- The Upperclass Twit of the Year Show.

- The 2024 Summer Olympics. Bonus: Raytown will have to be bulldozed to become the Olympic Village.

- Pros vs. Joes.

- Wimbledon. With seating for 80,000, we could wrap it up in a week.

- Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey will box for the World's Heavyweight Boxing Championship. Hey, we've been promised everything else, so bring people back from the dead isn't a stretch.

- The 2016 World's Cup. Maybe soccer will have caught on here by then.

And finally, The America's Cup! Trouble is we'll need to pass Issue 3: "Shall a 1% sales tax be enacted to allow the area of Jackson County east of U.S. 71 to be walled and flooded to build an ocean suitable for racing yachts?"

"Vote for Issue 3. Because You'll Believe Anything."
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Actually, even though I am opposed to question one, i do like the roof idea, and here is why.

Although we may only have 2-3 rainouts a year we have many many more rain delays. Who wants to go to a game is they are going to sit int he rain until 10pm to start the game and let it run till one in the morning.

Lets say you are Joe Rural living 250 miles out in Kansas and decide to take your family on a trip to KC. Do you want to invest 100 bucks on tickets, plus hotel, plus travel expenses, plus food plus plus plus, only to take the gamble that the game will be rained out or delayed so late that the kids and wife refuse to stay.

When I was working the stadium club in the '80 two or three nights a week regional farmers Co-ops would bring in 150-250 people by bus for the game, some of those got rained out and it sucked for those people.

I really think the roof would result in a 20% presale increase and probably the same amount of attendance jump.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Hrm...It's after noon and no word of a Final Four.  Press conference was to be at 11am.  What's up with that?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: Hrm...It's after noon and no word of a Final Four.  Press conference was to be at 11am.  What's up with that?
care to say this again kard? 810 reports that not only has it happened, the mayor announced it would be 2013, the 75th anniversary.

nice.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcdcchef wrote: care to say this again kard? 810 reports that not only has it happened, the mayor announced it would be 2013, the 75th anniversary.

nice.
that's cool, wonder why they didn't carry the new conference
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I'm looking for stuff on the web, Chef.  The Star somehow managed to post their All Star story in the middle of Glass' press conference, so I figured they'd have something up soon after 11.  I missed the 810 news, but that's the first I'd heard of it.  I wasn't doubting they would officially announce it--I was just surprised it wasn't on any KC news sites yet.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Kard wrote: I'm looking for stuff on the web, Chef.  The Star somehow managed to post their All Star story in the middle of Glass' press conference, so I figured they'd have something up soon after 11.  I missed the 810 news, but that's the first I'd heard of it.  I wasn't doubting they would officially announce it--I was just surprised it wasn't on any KC news sites yet.
Maybe the Star learned that if the post news before it happens everyone figures out they they have no credibility.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote: They are making it harder for me to oppose the roof I must admit.
I agree
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The rolling roof is the only part about which they're being upfront and forthright. The problem, though, is that it heinously requires the passage of question 1.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: I'm looking for stuff on the web, Chef.  The Star somehow managed to post their All Star story in the middle of Glass' press conference, so I figured they'd have something up soon after 11.  I missed the 810 news, but that's the first I'd heard of it.  I wasn't doubting they would officially announce it--I was just surprised it wasn't on any KC news sites yet.
listen to 810 at the top of every hour. they are reporting it again now.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: The rolling roof is the only part about which they're being upfront and forthright. The problem, though, is that it heinously requires the passage of question 1.
Forthright - except for the part where they leave out the fact that they have no idea what the roof will cost to build or the fact that there isn't any contingency plan to pay for whatever isn't covered by the tax. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I just heard it...

...Did they say the NCAA had "awarded a Final Four to Kansas City"?

I heard "the NCAA would welcome a bid from Kansas City" if the renovations pass.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match!  ...But I was expecting something more concrete then what the guy said.  This was the first time I heard anything about the announcement, so I'm still just getting the news.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator