Hops on East 39th Street Closes

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Hops Brewery and Restaurant in Independence has closed. It was on 39th Street between 291 and Lee's Summit Rd. Decent place for being in a Target parking lot, but nothing spectacular.

http://www.examiner.net/stories/111103/ ... 3009.shtml

I've heard from a few people that many of the new restaurants in southeastern Independence are struggling because of the economy and because so many new restaurants were built so quickly in close proximity. At least the new places on the Square seem to be doing OK.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That place was always packed and one of the better places to eat for a suburban franchise. I can see where having only one location in a major metro area hurts it's ability to advertise, but they never really expanded into KC or even the Midwest.

It reminds me of that place that went out of business as 95th & Metcalf. Same kind of food, prices etc and always packed right up till when they closed. The restaurant business is a funky industry.

All those new places are very busy. Last weekend we could not find a single place in that area that did not have at least an hour wait, including all the older places along 39th.

Just weird.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

That is weird. The 3-4 times I went to Hops it was virtually deserted. In my experience that area is wicked busy on the weekends, but really slow during the week. Does that sound accurate?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote:That is weird. The 3-4 times I went to Hops it was virtually deserted. In my experience that area is wicked busy on the weekends, but really slow during the week. Does that sound accurate?
Like most suburban areas...