I quit!

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: I quit!

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Those are good suggestions but what can we do with forum members who insist on dominating every single thread, regardless of wether they have anything constructive to say. 
Yea, at times, some discussions remind me of the literary equivalent of road rage.  You're essentially behind tinted glass when you post so why not just vent.  
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Paintfumes wrote: my ignore button dont work. why ?
because you are stupid!
timberwolfrider
Pad site
Pad site

Post by timberwolfrider »

Long time lurker on this sight. I just registered today, and decided to post here.

I have been a poster on the worldsoffun.org forum ever since Jeff and Jennifer launched their site. I found this site by doing a google search looking for a Kansas City based discussion group, growing bored with the KC topics in worldsoffun.org, royals.com, and skyscrapers.com, and chiefshuddle.com. First I followed downtownkc.com, but, they do not update often enough. Anyways, I found this webpage, and, I decided to lurk instead of post because I post too many places already. I am on at least 10 forums everyday, i post in all of them daily. Thanks to my job as a system administrator, I have plenty of time to post.

Anyways, I have been watching here since October 2002, and I really like this discussion group, I like the spirit posters bring to the table with regards to KC and STL, and Kansas and Missouri.

The reason I am posting, tho.

The ones of you who have been on here the longest, for some reason, think you own the forum. You do not. You are posters with opinions, nothing more. Quit bullying new posters, quit talking shit on people who post frequently, quit acting like you are board cop, which, is what we have on the royals sight.

I say, cowboy the fuck up, and if you dislike someones opinions, then just ignore them and move on, do not act like this is a union and ou have seniority. Because, you do not.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Yea, at times, some discussions remind me of the literary equivalent of road rage.  You're essentially behind tinted glass when you post so why not just vent.  
Unfortunately, its not as personal as having a debate with our buddies over a beer.  Can you imagine sitting around with your friends having a debate and just dissmissing everything they say without paying attention or cutting off their point to change the topic or any of the other petty crap that goes on?
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

timberwolfrider wrote: Long time lurker on this sight. I just registered today, and decided to post here.

I have been a poster on the worldsoffun.org forum ever since Jeff and Jennifer launched their site. I found this site by doing a google search looking for a Kansas City based discussion group, growing bored with the KC topics in worldsoffun.org, royals.com, and skyscrapers.com, and chiefshuddle.com. First I followed downtownkc.com, but, they do not update often enough. Anyways, I found this webpage, and, I decided to lurk instead of post because I post too many places already. I am on at least 10 forums everyday, i post in all of them daily. Thanks to my job as a system administrator, I have plenty of time to post.

Anyways, I have been watching here since October 2002, and I really like this discussion group, I like the spirit posters bring to the table with regards to KC and STL, and Kansas and Missouri.

The reason I am posting, tho.

The ones of you who have been on here the longest, for some reason, think you own the forum. You do not. You are posters with opinions, nothing more. Quit bullying new posters, quit talking shit on people who post frequently, quit acting like you are board cop, which, is what we have on the royals sight.

I say, cowboy the fuck up, and if you dislike someones opinions, then just ignore them and move on, do not act like this is a union and ou have seniority. Because, you do not.
I don't think you'll like it here.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Paintfumes, do you like it here?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I've learned to stay away from stadium related threads. The forums much more enjoyable if you do that. At least for me it is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we have stadium threads?  As soon as I see it in the title it's dead to me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: we have stadium threads?  As soon as I see it in the title it's dead to me.
I've noticed. Good move.

timberwolfrider

The oldest and second oldest members, KCP and Myself (I changed from kcgridlock to GRID a while back KCP you need to change my "joined" date because I really care about that and my post count ;)) are pretty laid back and don't really "moderate" much.

So I'm not sure what you are talking about.  This forum has really grown so much larger than we ever thought it would.  It's been fun watching it grow.  Just try to ignore to stupid posts and contribute to the site.

How's Jeff Mast?  Used to work with him way back at Burns and McDonnell.  We only email occasionally now.  He might actually have a pretty nice amusement park to write about in his magazine this year.

I'm going to go post in a stadium thread now.  kcdcchef is voting yes and lockanload is voting no.  They tell this to each other every 18 seconds.  :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the site is a victim of becoming popular....as Grid said, we didn't really think it would become anything and now it's bigger than we can control.....we took the approach of not moderating people....now I'm think we should ban people at the first site of trolling.

people complain either way is the problem.....we figured everybody is an adult and can handle themselves....if you get into bitter little internet fights, it's more your problem.  We didn't start the forum to be everybody's babysitters...we actually have other jobs.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Man I've been here forever and I remember you and KCP especially. I had a ton of fun 3 years ago. I guess after being banned from SSP things just went down for me.

My best memory was when GRID said that he had a dream one night that he was at Liberty Memorial and could see cranes all over town. Some in the south loop (this was way before P&L) one at PAC, I cannot remember if he said by the post office or not... But what happened in his dream is happening now...

Hehe I joined at 14 and i'm still here at almost 18...
timberwolfrider
Pad site
Pad site

GRID, aka kcgridlock, and kcpowercat, aka originally Kansas City, along with other moderators I have seen come and go, and also, most recently, bahua, are not heavy handed at all. You guys are different then other sights, where, there are not moderators, just board cops, or, in the case of worldsorfun.org, the people that run the site just comment as one of the gang, but, do not police too much. However, you guys are not heavy handed, you really let people do their thing.

As you can tell, I have been reading this forum for a long time now. There are a lot of posters I look forward to reading what they say, and a lot of them whom, I read what they say, and just ignore them. I will not call anyone out by name, I will just say, there are about 4 or 5 posters on here I can think of, that I have been seeing comment since the inception of this thing, that get real angry over new posters, think they own a stake in the sight, and are always acting like it is their job to step in all of the time and chastize people like they are children, and oh yeah, none of them are moderators. It is silly, this is a discussion group, a forum, just state your piece and move on.

The reason I always liked this particular web page, is that you can log in, and get messages, and read replies, almost like a live journal, a real good all around blog. Anyways, with regards to forums, that is problematic. When it is like that, people then tend to think they own it. They say stupid ass shit all the time like, "I have to sift through 3 pages to see what I am looking for", or, "i have to see all these comments that are not important", or, "the main purpose of this page is to discuss kc development". Okay, the last one is true and all, however, as a lurker, I remember the shout box, the dumpster, and all that stuff, and, the sight is better now without those things. But, remember, although this page is for KC development, it is also a forum, where, people become friends, talk, and even get to know one another. It may not be specifically for that, however, it happens. So, idle chit chat will happen, you have to deal with this.

One thing I noticed today, which, after almost 4 years made me register, was the comments by the guest, of users. If you have been on here for a while, staubio, lenexatokcmo, KCMax, beautyfromashes, GRID, chrizow, you guys remember something that is gone, and will never ever return, the old days of 150 some users, where, it was less to read, fewer comments.

Me personally, I like this more now then I did then. Before, a lot of people, agreed with one another too much. Sure, there were flamewar starters, and they flamed all of the time, but, there were not enough dissenting opinions. It was almost like everyone was patting each other on the back. Man, you cannot discuss development that way, when, everyone feels the same way!

If you do not like the web page the way it is now, I suggest leaving, because, it will only keep growing, it is not going to get smaller. And if you keep bitching about too many comments, and too many pages to go through, you are crazy. It means more people are intrested in KC.

Paintfumes wrote: I don't think you'll like it here.
I know from reading for 4 years, you are the most worthless poster on this sight. All you are here for is to complain about bars, alcohol, and, evidently, now, light rail. Why do you live in a city? Move to Stillwell, Kansas, or Paola, or Wellington, Missouri. There are no 3am bars there, and no mass transit, just like KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I have a hard time reconciling this:
if you dislike someones opinions, then just ignore them and move on
With this:
Quit bullying new posters, quit talking shit on people who post frequently, quit acting like you are board cop, which, is what we have on the royals sight.
I don't understand why people should be free to spout whatever flamebait they want, but we shouldn't attempt to bring civility back to this board by pointing out the flamebait. Like you said, if you don't like me or anyone else playing board cop, then ignore us and just move on.

I will admit, trying to play board cop is an exercise in futility, and really just pours fuel on the fire.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
timberwolfrider
Pad site
Pad site

Hey KCMax, if being board cop just adds fuel to the fire, why do you attempt to do it so much? You are most assuredly one of those posters I refer to as a kcskycrapers long timers, that thinks they own the board. You do not.

Not sure where your prob is reconciling my two statements, if you are so turned off and repulsed by another poster, then, I would reccomend just ignoring that poster, instead of acting like some type of cyberscare crow or something. Geez.

This board is very civil, compared to others. But, if you get into something, like an argument with another poster, you should just be an adult and handle the fight yourself, instead of trying to be a board cop. If you think this board needs civility restored, you really should go to others and see how out of line they get.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think I own the board, just want to keep the board clean. Like a resident who polices their neighborhood looking to deter crime. If you and your buddy chef don't like it, they are certainly free to ignore me or anyone else. But like I said, I've now concluded its an exercise in futility and the best exercise is simply to ignore the foolishness.

What Royals site are you talking about?
Last edited by KCMax on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I agree w/ Highlander that we need the bar back, but KCP is probably sick of me asking for it ;).

I don't think the quality of the site is necessarily correlated to number of members.  This place was pretty boring when I first joined in 2002.  IMO it was at it's height around late 2004, when it had already attracted close to 500 members.

The more I think about it, I think the quality of this forum is more related to the amount of development going on.  Late 04 is when we had the arena vote, a possiblity of a downtown ballpark, P&L/HR Block was just breaking ground, and many other projects were put on the table at that time.  This place was on fire back then.  Plus Devin hadn't gone bonkers quite yet.

That's not to say there's not a lot to discuss now of course.  I don't feel as excited anymore though.  Maybe I'm getting jaded :)

Also, does anyone really have a problem w/ dissenting opinions?  I would really doubt that.  Lots of people disagree all the time, even like to play the devils advocate (two of our older members come to mind ;)) but they are respectful and mature and add to the forum.  The problem is when people act like 3rd graders.  Yeah they make things entertaining, but when it's your responsibility to clean up to forum it gets annoying as hell!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I don't think I own the board, just want to keep the board clean. Like a resident who polices their neighborhood looking to deter crime. If you and your buddy chef don't like it, they are certainly free to ignore me or anyone else. But like I said, I've concluded its an exercise in futility and the best exercise is simply to ignore the foolishness.

What Royals site are you talking about?

yeah, my buddy. anyone else who puts you in your place and it is my new frat buddy or something. the only royals site i know of is kcroyals.com, but, who knows. and you are hard to ignore, i would not really be able to read the star without you max.
KCN wrote:
That's not to say there's not a lot to discuss now of course. I don't feel as excited anymore though. Maybe I'm getting jaded :)

Also, does anyone really have a problem w/ dissenting opinions?
2 things. you are right, this board has less fights, and less bs when there is more kc develpment going on, the city is too calm right now, nothing major happening. the only major thing is that damn vote in 2 weeks, and i am terrofied of that, if it fails, oh god, the board will go crazy with a bunch of people thinking downtown baseball is on the horizon. god help us all.

secondly, with dissenting opinions, well, look at who gets bitch slapped on here the most, the people who do not go along with the mainstream opinion. devin, me, akp, i mean, if you do not support the majority opiniion on here, stadiums and other things, you do tend to get martyred over it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Plus Devin hadn't gone bonkers quite yet.
roflmao
I actually agree with that... Except for the 2004 thing. I think it started before that.

I accuse myself of being a stupid teenager.
the people who do not go along with the mainstream opinion. devin, me, akp,
I'm not saying you do or anything, but I don't purposely against their opinions to cause conflict or anything. I just see things a lot differently. I don't consider myself a martyr, just someone in a place where the majority rules... I go my own way and choose my own opinion based on what I see, I try not to conform with others purposely.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I don't think it is disrespect for dissenting opinions, but a general annoyance with those who disagree just for the sake of disagreeing and those who respond with a litany of points that are either not relevant, miss the point, or are just completely made up.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

The ones who get bitchslapped the most are more often than not the ones that ask for it.  The "you get what you give" policy goes a long way in social situations.