Omahan visiting KC - need advice

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
Big E
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Omahan visiting KC - need advice

Post by Big E »

Trailerkid, I'll ignore the insults for a second.  You claim I missed your point, but I'm still not quite sure you've made one.  What do you think "defies the boring convention"?  I'd love to visit the DuPont Circle (DC), the Mt Vernon (Baltimore), the Rittenhouse Square (Philly) of KC.  That, in Omaha, is the Old Market, with which I thought KC forumers would be familiar.  (BTW, Omaha's "warehouse district" - Jobber's Canyon - is gone, levelled by Corporate USA and now an urban office park.)

Not only have you not made a point, you haven't given an alternative to this homogenous gentrification of Downtown America.  Complaining about a problem without offering a solution is called bitching.  (sorry if that gets bleeped here)

I'm making the trip to KC SPECIFICALLY to look for some contemprorary furnishings.  Omaha, unfortunately, is short on those sorts of places (though they are here), and I've tapped them out.  I don't like the suburbs.  I have 24 hours, and I'd like a good dinner with no smoke.  You think of someplace better than what your fellow forumers have suggested, I'm all ears.   

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to bourgeoise-ing my ass off in KC.

-Big E
Let's float down sweat together in Omaha.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

For what it's worth, I don't get what TK is fuming about either.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i hope you have a great time, Big E!  let us know how the weekend was!  i hope you find all those furniture/decor stores!  be sure to ask the people there if there are lesser-known ones in town that we missed! 

also, you should know that Bluestem has a great brunch.  i don't know why no one mentioned that!  you definitely need to go to Bluestem when you are here. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Big E wrote:
I'm making the trip to KC SPECIFICALLY to look for some contemprorary furnishings.

I think the utter shallowness and vapidity of the statement above fully realizes the point I'm trying to make. If you're looking for a $1200 coffee table, you might have better luck here.
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

I think the Nelson Atkins Museum serves a brunch Sundays.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Big E
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Big E »

So it's (very) late Friday (at least for me), and I think the plans are as finalized as they are going to be.  Dinner at 1924 Main on Sat night, brunch at Bluestem Sun.  The rest of Sat/Sun is downtown, River Market, and surrounding areas.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded for the leads and advice.  I would also like to apologize for taking the flamebait and jacking your forum on my 1st visit.

I am looking forward to the day+, and I'll have my assessment when we get back.  Hopefully your advice is as good as your intentions!  :)

Sincere thanks in advance
-Big E
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Big E wrote: So it's (very) late Friday (at least for me), and I think the plans are as finalized as they are going to be.  Dinner at 1924 Main on Sat night, brunch at Bluestem Sun.  The rest of Sat/Sun is downtown, River Market, and surrounding areas.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded for the leads and advice.  I would also like to apologize for taking the flamebait and jacking your forum on my 1st visit.

I am looking forward to the day+, and I'll have my assessment when we get back.  Hopefully your advice is as good as your intentions!  :)

Sincere thanks in advance
-Big E
check out the map at the Crossroads neighhorhood association to see what's what in the Xroads.  it's pretty spread out. 

http://www.crossroadscommunityassociati ... dayMap.pdf
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:I think the utter shallowness and vapidity of the statement above fully realizes the point I'm trying to make. If you're looking for a $1200 coffee table, you might have better luck here.
Don't you think it's a little shallow and vapid to disrespect perfectly nice people, just for wanting to buy furniture? Why be a jerk about it?  :?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Don't you think it's a little shallow and vapid to disrespect perfectly nice people, just for wanting to buy furniture? Why be a jerk about it?  :?
yeah, no kidding.  if you don't want to spend top dollar for contemporary furniture, so be it...but it's great that someone is coming to KC to check out what it has to offer and see the urban core. 
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

trailerkid wrote:

I think the utter shallowness and vapidity of the statement above fully realizes the point I'm trying to make. If you're looking for a $1200 coffee table, you might have better luck here.
Thanks! I needed some new champagne chairs.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

well, damn.  I wish i had kept up on this thread. I'm concerned about the success of the entertainment district if this is how a visitor is treated.  Damn, lighten up.

But since the Entertainment district is everything that TK hates, then maybe he'll stay the hell away and let them enjoy themselves. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Big E
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Big E »

Well, we're back and recovered from our night of revelry.  I'm told I had a wonderful time!  ;)

Anyway, we didn't get to KC as early as we hoped, so we didn't go to as many places as we intended.  OGGI is going to end up getting a boatload of money from us.  The River Market reminded me of the neighborhood markets in Baltimore.

We hoofed it up from the President in the afternoon: good advice on that hotel.  It was VERY comfortable.  We're trying to find out where they got their pillows and mattress so we can replace ours.

The highlight of the trip:  1924 Main.  OH MY GOD.  That was an unbelievable meal.  We went all out with the wine pairings and the chocolate port flight for dessert.  I will put that meal up against any, anywhere, at any price.  KC truly has a gem there, and we're already looking for another excuse to go back.  

Had drinks afterwards at Zin (sp? down the block from 1924 Main).  Cool joint.  Went over to a non-smoking jazz venue (18th & something... let's just say it was getting... um... "very late" by this point....) to cap the night.  Brunch at Bluestem this morning.  I'll say I was a little disappointed by this meal, but it was still pretty good if that makes any sense.  

So, we had a wonderful 24 hours.  We'll have to make a 3-day weekend out of it next time and get out a little more during the day.

Thanks for all your advice!

-Big E
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

glad you had a good time!  come back and see us soon!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: well, damn.  I wish i had kept up on this thread. I'm concerned about the success of the entertainment district if this is how a visitor is treated.  Damn, lighten up.

But since the Entertainment district is everything that TK hates, then maybe he'll stay the hell away and let them enjoy themselves. 
Sorry everyone doesn't have the exact same perspective...I know that can get pretty annoying for a lot of people. The small amount of criticism I made towards the homogenization of the urban experience was rather muted and surely didn't ruin anyone's trip. I think that challenging the prevailing urban paradigms, which have grown shallow, vapid, and tired; should be welcomed rather than discouraged.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

glad you had a good time E.  Interesting about bluestem...everybody just seems to rave about it.

Get to check out any other neighborhoods?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Big E
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Big E »

I think I just had a bad cut of meat on my plate.  It was prepared well, so it's possible I'm not giving it a fair shake.  My girlfriend liked her meal, but I can't remember off hand what she had.

We didn't see anything other than the places/neighborhoods I mentioned.  We ended up spending most of Saturday, probably 2:30 - 6:00, at OGGI, which was really the purpose of the trip.  We found a bunch of stuff we liked, and went about picking out fabrics, etc.  Now we have to figure out if we really want all of it.

We'll definitely be back before too long.

-Big E
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

In my experience, Oggi is usually priced a bit on the high side - or full retail price at least.  They won't tell you manufacturer names (like many furniture stores), but most of their items can usually be found elsewhere at a decent discount if you don't mind doing some searching on the net.  Or, make Oggi do something for you - discount, free shipping, no tax, etc.  In the past, they have matched (local) competitor's prices for me.  Their quoted price is usually open to some interpretation, but you have to work on them.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Big E wrote:

We hoofed it up from the President in the afternoon: good advice on that hotel.  It was VERY comfortable.  We're trying to find out where they got their pillows and mattress so we can replace ours.

Thanks for all your advice!

-Big E

Your Welcome

Hmmm, now which neighborhood association was complaining about this hotel ? 
Last edited by Paintfumes on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Why are all these threads being moved?  This does not belong in development Q&A.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

I dont' know why