DB Warehouse

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

DB Warehouse

Post by QueSi2Opie »

This is a really cool place, lots of different rooms! My friend and I decided to go check it out for the first time and was impressed with the music and the entire set-up. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who is homophobic. I had my ass grabbed twice and my crotch grabbed once. Now I know what women go through! It was definitely queer eyes for the two straight guys. Other than that, the crowd is friendly and it's one of the best club atmospheres in KC. I think my friend is traumatized though, he felt completely molested. :lol:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

DB Warehouse

Post by trailerkid »

I don't blame your friend. Homophobia aside, that's completely inappropriate no matter if it's a man on woman or man on man. It's that kind of crap that makes straight people homophobic in the first place. Just because it's a gay bar doesn't mean you have a sign on that says "grope me."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

DB Warehouse

Post by KCPowercat »

does that action in bars from guys on girls make girls hetrophobic??? :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DB Warehouse

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:I don't blame your friend. Homophobia aside, that's completely inappropriate no matter if it's a man on woman or man on man. It's that kind of crap that makes straight people homophobic in the first place. Just because it's a gay bar doesn't mean you have a sign on that says "grope me."
I had gone to The Edge several times in the past when it was open. Nobody had ever groped me or my friends at that alternative lifestyle club. At the DB, I didn't see who grabbed my ass the first time, but the fool that grabbed my ass and crotch the second time was the same person. I told him I wasn't interested, I was there for the music, and if he did it again I'd personally throw him out. He apologized and walked away. Other than that, I didn't see anything that guys don't do in straight clubs (as far as checkin' people out, smiling, buying drinks, winking, etc.) You have to remember that men, straight or gay, are very sexual creatures. I absolutely love sex, but with women. :wink:

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

DB Warehouse

Post by GuyInLenexa »

That is a trip that you two guys went to the DB.
I like the DB, it is a little more "hard core" gay than The Edge or The Cab was.
I usually would never take a straight friend there, at first at least. It can sometimes be pretty wild.
When I lived in KCMO, I went there all the time. Living in far west Lenexa, I do good to get to the JOCO gayspot (the only one in JOCO)
The bars in the city are a lot more fun tho.
:cheers:
Where you there for the Sunday beer bust?? Or Fri. or Sat. night?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DB Warehouse

Post by tat2kc »

The main floor of the DB is almost 50% or more straight on the weekends. The 3 upstairs are bars are mostly gay. The front bar is 99% gay, and caters to the leather/fetish crowd. Its a good hint about what you might see when you pass the Leather shop, which sells leather/bondage/fetish stuff. Its really not a lot different than some of the straight fetish clubs in other cities, but it is pretty tame for the most part. There are always obnoxious people at any club with alcohol. Get a man a bit drunk, and they can be pigs. 8) The plus side of the crowd at the DB is that if you say no thanks, and walk away. Security is great there. If someone bothers you, all you have to do is let any of the bar staff know, and that person is out the door and quite probably banned for a while.

The only thing that really sets off the regular crowd is the "herds" of straight folks who cruise through with the obvious intent of looking for trouble and/or point and talk and laugh. Trust me, we know when people are looking down at us, or there for a cheap thrill. Look disgusted at a couple guys making out, or point at em, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be harrassed mercilessly. Most straight folk are welcome the DB. Come on down and have a great time, but don't let anyone give you a hard time.

Just re-read my post, and thought I'd give folks a bit more info on the DB. It has been around for a long long time, at different locations, always expanding. It was originally, and remains a gay bar that has catered toward the leather/fetish crowd, or the Levi-leather group. (yes the jeans levis). When they moved to the current location, the dance floor downstairs was for everyone. Upstairs, there are three bars. The patio, is a laid back bar that was supposed to be similar to the outdoor bar at their old location. The truck bar, with the cab of the Mack truck over the bar, was a social bar, a place to hang out and chat. The front bar upstairs is called the leather bar, because it was supposed to cater to the leather and fetish crowd. It was originally closed off and you could only gain entrance by wearing leather clothing, uniforms or no shirt. There was not enough intrest in town to keep this exculsively leather, so it was re-opened for everyone. The 3rd floor was designed to be a restaurant, but because the fire escape does not reach that floor, it was never opened to the public.

The Dixie Belle remains the home bar for two social clubs: The KC Pioneers, a club for those into the leather "scene" and the KC Cave Bears, a club for men who are "Bears" (hairy) and their admirers. The Pioneers sponsor a boot black on the first and 3rd friday of each month, and do boots shines for tips. The bar also hosts two or three semesters each year for the Kansas City Leather University. These workshops focus on various aspects of the Leather/fetish scene, and are hosted and presented by both gay and straight folks into this scene. It allows people who are curious about these things to get more information in a non-judgemental atmosphere. The bar also hosts beerbust on Sundays, from 4-9pm. $6.00 for all the beer you can drink. The DB is also one of the 2 sites chosen by the KC health department in a nationlly pioneering campaign to vaccinate people against Hepatitis A and B. Both disease are at empidemic leves in the US. Hep B is now a required kids vaccine, but most adults have not had the shots, mainly because of the high cost

They also sponsor several contests each year: Mr. DB Leather, Heart of America Leather Man, Heart of America Leather Woman, Heart of America Leather Boy (not real boys, its just a name!) These local contests lead to National and International contests. The last Mr. DB Leather contests had men and women judges who were major title holders in both the US and Great Britian. The main duties of the tital holders is to promote causes that they feel strongly about, such as HIV/AIDS prevention, teen suicide, and most recently, domestic violence. They raise huge sums of money for these causes.

Straight folks got wind of the new DB when the Star did a story on the best dance clubs in the area, and the Cab and the DB were listed as two of the best. Straight women have always come to the DB, because they can party with out being harrassed by drunken straight men. Straight men have come with their girlfriends. The flip side of that is that its the straight men get hit on and/or groped instead of the women. Sadly enough, some people can't drink and remain civilized!

The DB is, thankfully, welcoming of everyone, straight, gay, bi, transgendered, old, young, leather wearing, drag wearing, Armani wearing, G-string wearing! Both the Cab and the Edge catered to a much different crowd: young, pretty and "cool". Both were called S&M bars: Stand and Model. Neither bar made people outisde a very narrow range feel welcome. It was not a weloming bar for a big segment of the gay community, and the drugs were everywhere! At the DB, you can be 60 and fat, and the bar staff and the regulars wil be nice to you. You can be young and buff and pretty and get the same service.

Straight bars tend to focus on certain groups, whether its country, rock, dance, hip-hop, whatever. Its really no different at gay bars. The Cab and the Edge focused on certain groups, just as Sidekicks is a gay country bar, and the DB welcomes the lev-leather crowd. It can be similar to the festish groups that meet in Lawrence at the Bottleneck, or the group that meets here in KC at Davey's (that might not be the right bar here in KC, but that's where I think it meets)

If you go to the DB, check out the "atmosphere" in the different areas. You'll see a MUCH bigger range of people at this club than anywhere else in the city. I've seen "leather bars" in other cities that have a strict dress code that allows only major leather clothing or uniforms or jeans and no shirt. The DB is pretty tame considering the large and diverse crowd they attract. Its really a melting pot of some of the less mainstream aspects of our community. That being said, if you see someone that looks like they might be into something you aren't sure about, just ask someone about it! They are basically a really nice bunch of guys who would be more than happy to answer questions. They are grateful that you'd be curious, and brave enough to ask rather than stare. Likewise, if someone is giving you a hard time, let the staff know and it will be stopped immediately, possibly by a big, ass kicking lesbian!
:wink:

Oh, and if you see someone with leather chaps and their bare ass hangin out, don't freak. In Kansas City, you can do that if you are wearing a g-string that is at least 1" wide up the butt-crack. That's not considered indecent. ( learned that at a workshop at KC Leather University!!! )

If you have any other questions about the DB or what you see there that you don't understand, ask me on here privately if you want, I'll be happy to answer your questions. Trust me, its the only bar you'll go to that you can see a well dressed straight couple chatting with a man in leather, head to toe, leading another man around by a leash, and everyone having a good time. :cheers:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DB Warehouse

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Hey Tat, I went there on a Saturday night and seen absolutely everything you mentioned. Although I wasn't sure about the different themed rooms since I was partially drunk off my ass! I did see the leather fetish shop. My wife and her best friend loved the Cab, I recommended that she and her girlfriends go check out the DB on Halloween. Is it open on Halloween?

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DB Warehouse

Post by tat2kc »

Oh yea, its open on Halloween. If you've never been to a big gay bar on halloween, you need to go. Its like our high holy day. The costumes can range from funny to downright jaw dropping. Its a good thing I am not the doorman there. I think I'd have to either prevent some of the freaks from coming in, or give them a pat on the back for having the courage to go out in public! And that's on a regular night. Do these people not have mirros in their homes?

One night, a friend of mine was working the door, and I finally went up to him and asked him what the hell was going on, didn't we have enough freaks in here already? He laughed and bought me a couple shots to make up for scary freak show that night. Did not help the crowd get any prettier, but made me feel better!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DB Warehouse

Post by chrizow »

i recall going to the Cab when i was in high school. as a straight, but decidedly metrosexual male, i had a blast and always wanted to go back....sigh...

i also went to the DB in high school before it moved into the space it is in now. i had fun then, but i havent been back.

hey tat or someone, let's have a rundown of the gay/gay friendly bar and club scene in KC and what each place is all about. places come and go so often that it is hard for me to keep track.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

DB Warehouse

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow...great idea, I'll actually start a new topic on that...
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc