will downtown kill midtown?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kc_devotee »

I keep thinking about the demand for housing downtown...and wondering who exactly is moving there. Is it folks who lived in midtown previously? Can Armour Blvd, for example, bounce back if downtown housing keeps flourishing? Is there limited demand for urban living making it a zero sum game that midtown could lose, with downtown and the Plaza being the urban places to be?

Thoughts? I am really curious what others think
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

The effect probably depends on which demographics the developers of each area go after and whether the people in an area can afford to continue to live there after it's been gentrified. For example, the Plaza probably will continue to have the lion's share of high-end properties. But maybe the people who pioneered downtown living get priced out and wind up moving into another area and revitalizing that.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

If downtown becomes an exciting place, it will be suburbanites and new young metro residents movin' to the core. If it's jus' another neighborhood, then I certainly believe a large percentage may move in from Midtown if the rents/prices are affordable.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If anything, a resurgent Downtown will help Midtown by attracting new residents and visitors the whole inner city. Midtown is a much different market from Downtown and the Plaza. Downtown and the Plaza will cater to young people, retirees, and wealthy couples without kids. Midtown will cater to families, students, and people who prefer a detached house and private yard instead of a condo or townhouse.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I doubt it is midtown residents moving into downtown. The cost of lofts, at $1.00 a sq foot, it much more expensive than pretty much anywhere else in town.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From what I understand, a lot of the selling of downtown housing is to empty nesters who want nice places closer to the downtown cultural opportunities than the suburbs.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I moved downtown from midtown, but I think my case was exceptional. Most of the people I talked to who were also moving out of the Bellerive when I was said that they were moving to places either in midtown, or to places like Independence and Raytown. The people I talked to were people who generally can't afford to live downtown, and wouldn't be interested in the walking lifestyle. I think this kind of people(with the exception of a few places, like in Hyde Park and west of SW Trfwy) make up the bulk of midtown's residents.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

bahua wrote:I moved downtown from midtown, but I think my case was exceptional.
I have a friend that jus' moved from a midtown apartment to a downtown loft.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Please please please please PLEASE, QueSi2Opie, once, I would like to see you type out the whole word "just."

kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kc_devotee »

Thanks for all of your replies...I bet that it is alot of suburban empty nesters and perhaps folks new to KC from other places? It will be interesting to watch.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

no, it will enhance it.