New retail coming to westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Moondrops, a tea store, 4111 Pennsylvania Ave.

• Nile International Gourmet Market, wholesale and retail foods, 4120 Pennsylvania Ave.

• New York Pizza House, 4120 Pennsylvania Ave.

• Liesl's Easel, children's accessories, unique children's clothes, baby blankets and pillows, 4126 Pennsylvania Ave.

• Voila Restaurant Group, operators of Cafe Provence and Cafe Paris, are planning to open a restaurant at 4113 Pennsylvania Ave.

What no BARS??? Come on where's the replacements for Mill Creek and the old Baitshack?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I remember reading a few months back that Westport was tryin' to change their image and get rid of the bar scene. They want that type of atmosphere to be primarily downtown...as it is in most large cities.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

Would that vision then be something similar to downtown Parkville? If you haven't been to Parkville in a while, check it out. It's a cornucopia of very diverse restaurants. Great atmosphere and synergy.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well if westport is trying to shun the bar scene, then somebody better pick it up...we're one of the few cities that have a 3am closing time and we NEED a major bar district.....

I'm fine with westport AND downtown being those bar distrcits.

Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Westport on the right track

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm glad Westport is going back to the way it started in the 70's. Upscale, charming, unique. The Bar scene belongs Downtown and will help revitalize downtown. Westport was getting to grundgy. I like the skate shops and stuff, but having nicer stuff in there again will make my house worth more...less nose too, maybe less crime. Westport is on the right track.
-Midtownkid
KCgridlock

Re: Westport on the right track

Post by KCgridlock »

Midtownkid wrote:I'm glad Westport is going back to the way it started in the 70's. Upscale, charming, unique. The Bar scene belongs Downtown and will help revitalize downtown. Westport was getting to grundgy. I like the skate shops and stuff, but having nicer stuff in there again will make my house worth more...less nose too, maybe less crime. Westport is on the right track.
-Midtownkid
You are just getting old ;). No really, I agree, Westport is too small and has too many resintial areas close by for it to be a major big city bar district like KC needs so badly. KC also needs this bar district near it's convention facilities and it would be yet another piece of the puzzel in fixing downtown.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I'm just glad that something's going in those spaces...they've been empty for too long.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I'm assuming everyone wants a bar district downtown correct? If so where would it be located? I really like the rivermarket area for this idea.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

ShowME wrote:I'm assuming everyone wants a bar district downtown correct? If so where would it be located? I really like the rivermarket area for this idea.
Yea that or south of I-670, east of Frieghthouse district. Or even the West Bottoms could be something like the Flats in Cleveland.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tizers will open in the old Mill Creek space. The want to be open by the end of the month.

They will have about 50 appitizers on the menu and go for a big sports bar type crowd.

Problem? Only a 1:30 liquor license.....good luck with that.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

1:30? That will make it tough for them. I think with a 1:30 closing time, they'll go the way of the Spark Bar.
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kc_devotee »

A 1:30 license isn't a death sentence if people have someplace to go later...Spark Bar died because it was isolated at 9th and Walnut. Aqua is a 1:30 bar and it is doing well...people will go to Tizers and then head elsewhere...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

seems like a good idea especially for a sports bar...lots of appitizers to try out....I'll check it out.

they better do good on their TV's or they will be dead...and don't try to mix in a dance club like Mill Creek did....that killed that place.

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Good2Great wrote:Would that vision then be something similar to downtown Parkville? If you haven't been to Parkville in a while, check it out. It's a cornucopia of very diverse restaurants. Great atmosphere and synergy.

OMYGAWD I HOPE NOT!!!

I'm a stodgy middle aged housewife and even I wouldn't wish Westport to change into Parkville. I love the artsy/urban quality of Westport.

Parkville is great, but in many ways it is still very much the sleepy little country town. Tourist mecca though.

What restaurants do you enjoy there? Pancho's and Stone Canyon are my favorites. There is a new coffee shop in the new part closer to the river that is nice but I can't think of the name of it.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Is it as nice as the Pancho's at Main and Armour? That place is classy! Not really, but mmm... burrito..
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

i like cafe cedar in parkville
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

nota wrote:What restaurants do you enjoy there?
Piropos is one of the best restuarants in the KC metro!!!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I like Cafe Cedar too.

Hey Que-have you eaten at Piropo's? What did you like?

Our Pancho's is in an old caboose sitting right on the tracks. Trains shake the whole place when they rumble by.

Great food and nice people.

Dining on their deck in this weather is great.

Try Cafe Cedar's deck at happy hour time this time of year if the weather is warm enough. A view of the river and just a nice pleasant experience.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

nota wrote:Hey Que-have you eaten at Piropo's? What did you like?
I had the apple-stuffed pork chops, my wife had the peppercorn steak. Both were absolutely delicious!!! I'd recommend it to anyone searchin' for a great restuarant! The food, unlike the American Restaurant at Crown Center, was well worth the price.