KC developer Townsend considering Omaha condo tower

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Linkin5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: KC developer Townsend considering Omaha condo tower

Post by Linkin5 »

Hey maybe if twenty more of you people tell us to keep the UP building it will happen.........NOPE.  I don't even need to say why keeping the building is a bad idea because every Omaha forumer has already done that.  Townsend WILL build on this site, and it WILL look awesome.  Maybe KC will get a new condo tower proposed sometime soon, they always seem to be a few years behind Omaha. :lol:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Linkin5 wrote: Hey maybe if twenty more of you people tell us to keep the UP building it will happen.........NOPE.  I don't even need to say why keeping the building is a bad idea because every Omaha forumer has already done that.  Townsend WILL build on this site, and it WILL look awesome.  Maybe KC will get a new condo tower proposed sometime soon, they always seem to be a few years behind Omaha. :lol:
You haven't been to this board or KC very often, huh? There are probably 10 condo towers that have been proposed in the last six months and several that are currently in construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Linkin5 wrote: Hey maybe if twenty more of you people tell us to keep the UP building it will happen.........NOPE. I don't even need to say why keeping the building is a bad idea because every Omaha forumer has already done that. Townsend WILL build on this site, and it WILL look awesome. Maybe KC will get a new condo tower proposed sometime soon, they always seem to be a few years behind Omaha. :lol:
Great constructive conversation.  Omaha keeps producing the best of the best over here.  Grow up, this has nothing to do with competition.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Linkin5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Linkin5 »

I know you have condos towers being proposed, but not something as significant as 32 stories. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Linkin5 wrote: I know you have condos towers being proposed, but not something as significant as 32 stories. 

Here's the first one that comes to my head.  You probably would have just torn it down though.

http://www.kcmo.org/mayor/RCP/Power&Lig ... ht%20lofts'
Linkin5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Linkin5 »

and ps I'm not just another "joemoney" that says useless comments just to get people mad.  Its just ridiculous when these two proposals get released and all you kc forumers can talk about is how stupid we are for tearing the UP buliding down, its not going to happen!
omahastylee
Surface Lot

Post by omahastylee »

Linkin, that was way off base and disrespectful. 

Anyways, I think you guys are basing your judgements just off of looks and dont know much about the building itself.  There is no way this building would get renovated.  It is sad that it is being torn down, but unless you guys have tens of millions of dollars to save it, its going to get torn down.  We love our old architecture in omaha, and its what makes our downtown great, but we must be progressive and proactive to help our core continue to grow.  If this building is not torn down, it will sit there for the rest of its existence with boarded windows collecting dust, pulling down the land value with it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I think the problem we are having is that there are so few historic buildings like this one anymore (minus the 60s addition of course).  It won't cost any more to restore this builiding then demolish and rebuild.  You are still going to have to take the asbestos out and gut the inside before you implode or chip away with a swinging ball.  You can build the proposed builiding anywhere around there and it would be just as viable.  There are hundreds of people here in KC who would love to live in the Union Pacific Lofts if that builiding was here.  I just can't believe that there wouldn't be the same progressive people in Omaha. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Do we HAVE to do this?

909 Walnut - 35 story (tallest res. in midwest)
Fed Reserve - 21 story
P&L Block - 18 story
View - 20 story
BMA - 20 story
Professional - 17 story
Wallstreet - 20 story
P&L District - 22 story

to name a few condos either proposed or U/C.

linkin - every person on here has said something about how the proposal is good for Omaha but couldn't it be built on another block?  Everybody is right, we don't know everything about this building...either do you guys.  All we are stating is we wish there was a little more fight in all of you to save this building.  Yes it has asbestos, yes the exterior is falling about....yes it can still be saved.  Look around to other cities and what they have rescued....it can be done.

but, you guys are fine with it, so go for it...knock it down.  I for one am happy for you guys on the new proposals.  Hope Townsend delivers once again...his projects here are top notch.

Now, could you be a little more respectful over here?  The chip on your shoulder, everybody against us attitude doesn't really fly well here.

DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

I can't find any pictures of the shitty sides of this building (the other 3.) But if you saw it form any other angle you would see the reason no one is going to miss this building. And it's not surrounded by nothing. One the west side is First National Center: First National Tower (the big one), First National Bank Tower, The Doubletree, First National's data processing center, and the old art deco federal building. On the north is another federal building no one would mind losing but is being remodeled, a park with one of the nations largest bronze sculpture collections, and the Omaha World Herald's new printing press. (Who's style, oddly enough, the KC Star plant decided to borrow from. On the east of the building is that actual OWH administration offices. To the south is the new UP HQ and the $90M Holland Center which opens later this month. So no it's not sitting surrounded by barren lots. In fact the only 2 lots even close to there are going to be developed into something similiar to what Townsend is doing plus more entertainment use for the public.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Linkin5 wrote: Hey maybe if twenty more of you people tell us to keep the UP building it will happen.........NOPE.  I don't even need to say why keeping the building is a bad idea because every Omaha forumer has already done that.  Townsend WILL build on this site, and it WILL look awesome.  Maybe KC will get a new condo tower proposed sometime soon, they always seem to be a few years behind Omaha. :lol:
That's funny, because me thinks that Omaha was decades behind KC when they finally built a modern looking arena, convention center, and skyscraper.  How's your amusement park comin' along?     

Now go have fun at the zoo, I'm tired of being bothered with these ridiculous comparisons.       
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Our arena is already up and running and one of the most profitable in the world. The Sprint Center's affects remain to be seen but I doubt it will do that well. So Omaha's ahead in that aspect.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Comparing Omaha to K.C. is like comparing Wichita to Saint Louis. Omaha sucks. Put this in the dumpster.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dto...we already have a Qwest center type of arena and convention center.

sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sokkerdewd »

Hey there...newbie poster here, and current resident of Omaha (moving to KC in November.)  One thing I've never understood about these forums (I used to post frequently on Eomaha) is the flame wars that go on between these cities...  Is it an inferiority complex...jealousy...insecurity...or what?  I mean KC and Omaha people visit each others' cities for various reasons and what is a virtue in one city gives residents of the other one more thing to do/see when they want to get away...  Why knock the other place just because it has something your respective city doesn't?  Why not just be happy that the Stones have a tour stop 3 hours from KC or that H&M is opening 3 hours from Omaha...  Shite...

This juvenile stuff seems much less common on Twincityscape, even from the Chicago posters...  So lets all grow up and get along...
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

DTO wrote: Our arena is already up and running and one of the most profitable in the world. The Sprint Center's affects remain to be seen but I doubt it will do that well. So Omaha's ahead in that aspect.

DTO, that's a stupid statement.  Our arena is not anywhere near being the most profitable in the world.

First of all, it is one of the most visited.  But profitable?  I think the World Herald reported the city is getting about 2.5% a year back on it's money.  That just goes to show you how well the government runs things.  We should have never built that stupid thing.  If we needed it, the private sector would have filled that need.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Omaha posters should be glad that they have an MLB team, an NFL team, a Nascar track, a world class art museum, an amusement park, a truly upscale shopping district, etc, etc ,etc just 3 hours away.

Hell soon Omaha residents will be even luckier once the new 300 million dollar waterpark is built here in KC, not to mention the Arena Football Team we are getting. Of course we have major league soccer as well. Omaha residents are very lucky they are only 3 hours away.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sokkerdewd wrote: Hey there...newbie poster here, and current resident of Omaha (moving to KC in November.) One thing I've never understood about these forums (I used to post frequently on Eomaha) is the flame wars that go on between these cities... Is it an inferiority complex...jealousy...insecurity...or what? I mean KC and Omaha people visit each others' cities for various reasons and what is a virtue in one city gives residents of the other one more thing to do/see when they want to get away... Why knock the other place just because it has something your respective city doesn't? Why not just be happy that the Stones have a tour stop 3 hours from KC or that H&M is opening 3 hours from Omaha... Shite...

This juvenile stuff seems much less common on Twincityscape, even from the Chicago posters... So lets all grow up and get along...

not sure why....It all seems to start with comments like those from DTO that kind of fires these things off.  I think inferiority complexes has a lot to do with it.

DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

It's not about being superior or infurior. Some of you KC guys just refuse to aknowledge that anything in Omaha can comapre to KC. Calling the Qwest Center and Kemper the same thing is ignorrant. The Qwest Center and Sprint Center will be comparable, but I doubt any of you will see that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd say they are similar (kemper & qwest).  No doubt Qwest is newer and has more modern amenities....but how I see it is neither are NBA/NHL type arenas....Sprint will be....that's the difference I can see.  Arenas like Ford Center in OKC and Qwest are newer version of Kemper amenity wise.  that's just me though.