KCMO Parks & Rec question

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Fellow Forumers,

Every spring and summer for the last 6 years, I've played basketball out of doors on average three days per week at what I call Hospital Hill Park. I'm pretty sure it has a recognized name, but that's what I call it. It's the field just to the north of The Children's Mercy Hospital and immediately west of the Western Missouri Mental Health Institute...or whatever it's called. I'm fairly certain the park is officially a nearly detached portion of the Penn Valley parks system according to a map I viewed recently.

It's a decent court, but needs some touch ups.

Namely, weed removal and resurfacing of the black top. Next, the rims need to be straightened back to 10'. And that's it. But neither myself nor any of my fellow ballers, who all work with me, can figure out how to get something done. We've been trying for all these years to get action.

I've had casual conversations with P&R workers from time to time on site when they are pruning the massive trees on the lot or doing other stuff and friends have called the City on several occassions, but nothing seems to do the trick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.kcmo.org/parks.nsf/web/home?opendocument

Go to contact us and email Pam Sloan who is in charge of that area.....that would be my best suggestion....if you don't get an email back, email her again, cc her boss and the mayor
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

You can also call or email the Action Center, which is a central point for inquiries and complaints. They are really good about following up with your complaints, they will even send out letters updating you on the status of the issue.

http://www.kcmo.org/manager.nsf/action/ ... endocument

It would be interesting to see if you get anything done. The city is in the midst of a huge push to improve the upkeep of parks and make the parks dept. more accountable, yet at the same the budget has been slashed due to the recession.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that suggestion better...see where that gets you.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Thanks, you two.

I am going to send Pam an e-mail today. I'll let you know what type of response she gives.

Dan

BTW......I'm sure some of you that take pics of the downtown skyline already know this, but, for those that don't, the park I've referenced offers an EXCELLENT view of the downtown skyline.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

You could also apply for PIAC funds at kcmo.org I think the application process for this year is past though. I applied for funds for new curbs, sidewalks, and street trees for 63rd Street here in Brookside. The city is currently holding hearings for those funds.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Brooksider wrote:You could also apply for PIAC funds at kcmo.org I think the application process for this year is past though. I applied for funds for new curbs, sidewalks, and street trees for 63rd Street here in Brookside. The city is currently holding hearings for those funds.
Wow....awesome....I'll definitely check into this!

Thanks, bsider.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

You need to be a KCMO resident in order to apply for PIAC projects.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

dangerboy wrote:You need to be a KCMO resident in order to apply for PIAC projects.
that sucks :wink:

i'll get one of my buddies who live in kcmo to do it
Cryptoglyph
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Cryptoglyph »

Actually, you don't have to be a resident to request a project through PIAC. Unfortunately, the deadline for this year's application was Aug 31st. You can still submit an application online, but it may not be considered until next year.

http://www.kcmo.org/cip.nsf/web/request?opendocument

You could also request some of the businesses in the area to contribute to the Park restoration and maintenance. Ward Parkway is subsidized by adjacent residents and the Mill Creek Park exercise loop is subsidized by St. Lukes, American Century, and maybe some others. By providing funding this way to the Parks Department, it also gives you a lot of input into how those funds are spent.

Good luck.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Other contacts

Post by FangKC »

I believe that park falls within the Fourth District. You might also contact the councilmen for that district. They are:

Jim Glover
Council Member At Large
Fourth District
24th floor, City Hall
414 E. 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-1616
Fax: (816) 513-1612
E-mail: greg_lever@kcmo.org
Aide: Greg Lever

Jim Rowland
Council Member
Fourth District
24th floor, City Hall
414 E. 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-1617
Fax: (816) 513-1612
E-mail: dana_laiben@kcmo.org
Aide: Dana Laiben

I walk past that park all the time when I visit Truman Medical Center. It is in need of some vast improvements--for sure. If that park was upgraded, hospital and UMKC employees might use it on their lunch hours.

In addition to improving the basketball courts, perhaps a tennis court could be placed there. I think a lot of the medical staff and medical/dental students would use it. I know from working at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center that there is a tennis court on the top floor of the hospital building that is used by staff.

Some of the parents with children hospitalized at Children's Mercy Hospital--or families staying at Ronald McDonald House--might use it to take a break. If the City and hospital administrators could get together, they could find a better use for that park. As it exists now, it is fairly useless and really benefits no one.

Imagine if a mini-train ride was placed there, hospitalized children, their siblings, and parents could go there for rides. I know from when I lived in Phoenix, one of the city parks there has a mini-train. Add to that a mini-carousel and mini-ferris wheel, and you would have the makings for a unique hospital experience.

There could also be puppet shows performed daily by the clowns that visit the hospital wards. One of the clowns might pilot the mini-train as well. Sick children could be taken there for exercise, and to get fresh air and sunlight. It would be an ideal place to put some of the decorative cows and teddy bears from those art projects that were done in the past. The park could have a whimsical quality.

A small pond could be created and fish placed in it. Perhaps a few ducks and swans could be kept there to swim in the pond. Children visiting the hospital could then feed the fish, ducks, and swans. Little radio-controlled boats could rented for a nominal fee for use in the pond.

I envision a lush and thickly- landscaped garden with hedges, benches, a wishing well, lots of flowers, trees, water lilies in the pond, a waterfall, a gazebo, a little bandstand (for live music and children's plays), fun statues, and sculpture.

This is the type of project that the hospitals; the City; Jackson County (since Truman is a county-subsidized hospital); UMKC medical and dental schools (state funds might be available); Hyatt-Regency (their guests with children might enjoy a park like this nearby); and Hallmark/Crown Center should all support and subsidize. With these features, that park would gain wider use. All would benefit. This type of project would also probably be supported by the Kaufmann Foundation as well. Who wouldn't support a park that would benefit sick children, employees, students, and visitors?

I think a lot of landscaping and nursery businesses, artists, and landscape architecture firms would donate their time and supplies to this type of effort. Local garden clubs might also volunteer to help maintain the gardens.

Since Hallmark, the Hyatt Regency, Children's Mercy Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, UMKC, and Truman Medical Center (Jackson County) all are adjacent to that park, perhaps you can contact their public relations offices and request that they lobby the City and County to improve that park, or ask those institutions and businesses to contribute to its upkeep.
There is no fifth destination.