Harlem district to E of downtown aiport

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Harlem district to E of downtown aiport

Post by moderne »

Bed bugs included, the old airport Holiday Inn.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Broker really working to earn their commission on that description.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

"Holiday Apartments maintains proximity to renowned conveniences, including Aldi, Denny’s, McDonald’s, Walmart Supercenter, Planet Fitness, and many more." Sold.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Clay Co has plan to redevelop left bank of MO river from the new BOB walking connection eastward. Vision of Berkely north.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

moderne wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:08 pm Clay Co has plan to redevelop left bank of MO river from the new BOB walking connection eastward. Vision of Berkely north.
Any renderings?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

kshb.com has rendering of ramp system leading down from north end of BOB to walkways and lookouts on both sides of the BOB. Cyclists will have great access now to Richards road.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I am having trouble finding it. Is there a link?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Harlem has not been a town for a long time. It's a neighborhood in KCMO.

'We definitely need it': Clay County leaders bring attention to forgotten Harlem Riverfront
HARLEM, Mo. — New hope comes to the Harlem Riverfront, a small town north of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, that has been forgotten for decades.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/we ... riverfront

Aerial:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harle ... ?entry=ttu
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I applaud the ideas but it would be a major undertaking. The access to that area is almost non-existent. Only 1 road leads into the area and to go from Burlington to over by the airport you have to cross numerous rail road tracks. Most of the time there are trains just sitting on the tracks and you have no way to get in. Plus the area is surrounded by heavy industrial businesses, heavy polluters to air quality, and noise. Not to mention unpleasant smells. It would take a lot, and I mean a lot of creative development to make the areas attractive to visitors, let alone residents. It would be nice to see happen but just too daunting. Invest what you can to do the studies and develop ideas but I do not seeing this happen at all. Pipe dream of a pipe dream really.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Berkley was a toxic waste site with a tow lot sitting on top. And also odor issues.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think this is a pipe dream that has little chance of happening. They might get a trail system built and access to the BOB and that will be it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The trail system build to the airport would be a win. That road around the airport is used by tons of cyclists. Connecting that to the future Greenline and both KCMO and KCK levee systems would be huge
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:37 pm Burlington to over by the airport you have to cross numerous rail road tracks. Most of the time there are trains just sitting on the tracks and you have no way to get in.
Or out.

I've known this area existed forever but only stumbled onto it when I didn't realize the southbound portion of the Broadway Bridge had already closed while driving US169 south from the airport to downtown. I thought "no big deal, I'll just cut through Harlem to the HOA Bridge". I could not get out of the area due to non-moving trains and eventually decided to backtrack up to Briarcliff to get out. That abrupt bend in the Missouri River is kind of screwed up access-wise due to the density train tracks that are all very active. I hope when US169 re-opens it's not such a cluster in that area. But I don't see how a tiny downtrodden area that is completely isolated by train tracks and a highway is going to be attractive to developers.