SoLo - Before the Rapture

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SoLo - Before the Rapture

Post by staubio »

I was browsing Google Earth and noticing that we still have the luxury of seeing the pre-Cordish/Block South Loop in the aerial photos, which I actually enjoy as it gives a glimpse of recent history. I wanted to capture it. I also realized that I'm already forgetting much of what was there, so I'm hoping to refresh my memory.

I remember Soakies and the garage at 13th and Main and the State Employment Office at Truman and Main. I remember Just Rite Stamps at 13th and Grand and Bridal shop / flowers / gay bar at 14th and Main. I remember the bank drive-in on the arena site. I remember the TWA annex. What are the other buildings?

Also, if you have photos of some of these places, it'd be cool if you'd post them so we can have some history. I'd like to eventually transfer this into a "before" wiki entry.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: SoLo - Before the Rapture

Post by KCTigerFan »

Sure wish we had all that beautiful surface parking back.  :cry:  &&&
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

there was also the basketball mural...
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

ComandanteCero wrote: there was also the basketball mural...
That would be a good idea to put on the back of one of the P&L buildings until the condos are built. Accept this time have the player wearing a KU uniform instead of UCLA.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I have a rough floor plan of the Stray Cat at 1519ish Grand, which I think historically was called the Swearingin Building (at least it said that on the cornice detail)
I think I can also locate some photos of the west side of main Soakies/Newstand group of buildings...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

ComandanteCero wrote: there was also the basketball mural...
Yeah, that was 14th and Grand on the West side. I don't recall if anything was in those buildings. I don't think so.

I also don't remember the building just south of Soakies, at all.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I wonder when they will update Google Earth...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: I wonder when they will update Google Earth...
according to this month's issue of Wired:
[How to] Make Something That Can Be Seen on Google Earth. Build a structure at least 50 feet across. Use high-contrast materials -- dark swatches on sand or snow, light-colored objects on a dark rooftop. Work in populated areas, and build it to last: It takes Google anywhere from a few months to a few years to update its images.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

Midtownkid wrote: I wonder when they will update Google Earth...
Google claims 18 months. On Google Earth Blog http://www.gearthblog.com/ there are announcements of "huge imagery updates" on June 10, 2007, December 12, 2006 and September 9th 2006. I have same image staubio posted from Jan 2007 and it did not have the Sprint Center label.  Google maps/earth just barley has the foundation for Bridgeworks being prepared so KC's info is kind of old.

When did they break ground for Bridgeworks?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

fall 2005?
kfish
Surface Lot

Post by kfish »

Also located in the area was the 1411 Main Building. It was recognized as an example of the modern movement’s “brutalist” style architecture. Worth noting is the fact that Paul Rudolph’s “brutalist” style Yale Art & Architecture Building in New Haven, CT was honored this year by the United States Post Office as one of only twelve “Masterworks of Modern American Architecture” exemplifying the best in Modern design.  Interesting we felt the need to start from scratch.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kfish wrote: Interesting we felt the need to start from scratch.
Welcome!

That is my biggest problem with the district and places like this in other cities: It doesn't feel authentic. It has been said before, but we could have integrated buildings like this into the district. I know many people thought this building was ugly but it was a significant architecturally and would have given more authenticity, variety and visual interest to the neighborhood. We could have made that building into something positive for the neighborhood, or (gasp) just let it continue to operate as it was.

Instead, in the exact same footprint, we've got a surface lot and we'll probably wait years for anything to be built there.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

From our own ScooterJ. Wish he was still in that office so we could see what the view looks like now.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Awesome find, thanks!

What, if anything, was in that white building in the middle foreground? I don't remember it.

Also, what about the single white building on Walnut? That looks like a great building that could have been integrated. It is perfectly scaled for the district and looks to be in good shape. Grr.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

oh dear, not this again...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

49r wrote: oh dear, not this again...
Ha. Not wishing to rehash that macro argument but I was looking to remember the individual structures that we did have there.

I'm a recent history buff, what can I say.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

The only one I was sad to see go was the TWA building.  But alas, she is gone.  I, too, am a preservationist but sometimes you just gotta let go...
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I vote for a MU-KU basketball mural.  Nothing says KC basketball better than that! 
kcmetro wrote: That would be a good idea to put on the back of one of the P&L buildings until the condos are built. Accept this time have the player wearing a KU uniform instead of UCLA.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote: What, if anything, was in that white building in the middle foreground? I don't remember it.
That was the Main Street Morgue.  Here's some pictures of them moving out before demolition...

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

scooterj wrote: That was the Main Street Morgue.  Here's some pictures of them moving out before demolition...
I'd forgotten about that too, but what is the building across the street next to President?