KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by langosta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:36 pm
It's a good thing none of you are responsible for TDD finances. ;-)
Related to TDD finances. If the extension project comes in under budget, does the TDD or does the Federal government get their contribution reduced?

Ex. The project ends up costing $250 million. Does the financing break down to $150m Federal, $100m local? Or is it a 50-50 split?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17670
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:12 pm

langosta wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:36 pm
It's a good thing none of you are responsible for TDD finances. ;-)
Related to TDD finances. If the extension project comes in under budget, does the TDD or does the Federal government get their contribution reduced?

Ex. The project ends up costing $250 million. Does the financing break down to $150m Federal, $100m local? Or is it a 50-50 split?
That didn't happen downtown, and I wouldn't expect that to happen with the extensions.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29610
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by KCPowercat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm

With property values going up systematically seems responsible to reduce their percent?

Personally I don't want the tdd to do this but would be a good faith effort to show not just a money grab and maybe others (library) would be pressured to.follow?

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6357
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by shinatoo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:53 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm
With property values going up systematically seems responsible to reduce their percent?

Personally I don't want the tdd to do this but would be a good faith effort to show not just a money grab and maybe others (library) would be pressured to.follow?
That's my feeling.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17670
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm
With property values going up systematically seems responsible to reduce their percent?

Personally I don't want the tdd to do this but would be a good faith effort to show not just a money grab and maybe others (library) would be pressured to.follow?
The streetcar pro forma didn't expect assessed values to rise dramatically, because that's probably not going to actually happen despite the county assessor's best intentions.

To be honest, no one has asked their rates to go down. In fact, most of the surplus is because of the wild retail sales tax growth and not special assessment growth.

Also, expect a recession or two when you're planning stuff like this that has to last 25 years (or you have to pay the feds back -- prorated, of course).

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29610
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Well to be fair special assessment growth is the thing that is only now about to skyrocket if these assessment values stay.

Like I said I'm fine if the tdd doesn't change but I could see how it could be positive PR if it works with the numbers.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17670
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Keep an eye on the KCityPost app tonight...

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6357
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by shinatoo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:54 am

the KCitypst page says they are migrating to the CityPost app (Android). Correct?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17064
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:43 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by chrizow » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 am

We were recently in Bordeaux and their tram/streetcar looks a lot like ours. Pretty interesting to see it at work in a dense European city!

User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Vicenza, IT

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm

With the ratings on the next rail study, which east/west route is the primary route to be implemented following the completion of the Main St extension?
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by grovester » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
With the ratings on the next rail study, which east/west route is the primary route to be implemented following the completion of the Main St extension?
None of them. Voted down previously and not viable local funding-wise as stand alone corridors.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by langosta » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
With the ratings on the next rail study, which east/west route is the primary route to be implemented following the completion of the Main St extension?
You’d probably need a city/county/metro wide transit program to fund those. They voted no against the previous plan so it’s better to put efforts into rail transit friendly areas or areas with funds(NKC, maybe Joco).

Rail capital costs per mile need to come down (which they could if we get more efficient) before a TDD could be used on Independence Ave or 31st.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by normalthings » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:54 pm

grovester wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
With the ratings on the next rail study, which east/west route is the primary route to be implemented following the completion of the Main St extension?
None of them. Voted down previously and not viable local funding-wise as stand alone corridors.
There might be enough for one of the lines if you (1) passed an East Side TDD that includes the stadiums (2) aligned costs closer to the starter line or Europe. (3) got state funding (what STL had lined up with the failed 2013 or 2014 Gas Tax increase)

User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Vicenza, IT

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:24 pm

normalthings wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:54 pm
grovester wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:35 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
With the ratings on the next rail study, which east/west route is the primary route to be implemented following the completion of the Main St extension?
None of them. Voted down previously and not viable local funding-wise as stand alone corridors.
There might be enough for one of the lines if you (1) passed an East Side TDD that includes the stadiums (2) aligned costs closer to the starter line or Europe. (3) got state funding (what STL had lined up with the failed 2013 or 2014 Gas Tax increase)
You have to remember that many of those european routes have the rail infatructure already in place, as many of the places they build (at least in my encounters over here) have used existing rail segments imbedded in roadways. In many cases all they needed was a rail retrofit and new cables above.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am

When will the 805 train be added added to this tracker? This is the best way to track methinks, have it bookmarked on phone. But 805 still not on it. And why do the various systems not use the same source? 805 is on the kiosk tracker, which looks like the same web site.

http://kcstreetcar.org/route/streetcar-tracker/

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7822
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by flyingember » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 am

earthling wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am
When will the 805 train be added added to this tracker? This is the best way to track methinks, have it bookmarked on phone. But 805 still not on it. And why do the various systems not use the same source? 805 is on the kiosk tracker, which looks like the same web site.

http://kcstreetcar.org/route/streetcar-tracker/
I saw it today on the ios app tracker

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3943
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by grovester » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am

It's on itsab.us.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29610
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:17 am

Itsab.us is the best tracking option imo

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 am

Right, various sources are different. Not worth wasting storage/memory for an app and the below one is more useful than itsab to me. But point being, different sources don't make sense.

Have it saved to homescreen, effectively an app but using browser...

This one allows you to tap a stop and it tells you how many minutes and can see cars updated realtime - same as kiosk but this is missing 805...
http://kcstreetcar.org/route/streetcar-tracker/

Itsab just shows location per car, not seeing any benefit. Seems relatively poor actually, or am I missing something?
https://itsab.us/tracker/route.php?route=SC

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17670
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:41 am

People consume information differently. For every option we offer, someone complains they'd rather see it differently. The anecdotal favorite is Transit app, but most people don't know it exists and expect everything to look like Google or Apple Maps. Case in point: Our RideKC app vendor chose to display the same information differently and people complained because it doesn't look or work exactly like Google Maps.

In short, having options for displaying the same data is good and will continue. If you don't like one user interface, there are others to choose from: https://ridekc.org/rider-guide/app-center

Post Reply