KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:24 am KCBJ Cover Story: Does the streetcar create desire?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... terly.html

Answer: Of course. So projects along line using incentives need a broad public element.
So let's change AdvanceKC to reflect that new rule.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5P78VW8

Does this new rule apply to Prospect MAX? The projects on Prospect are getting a direct cash investment through the CCED sales tax that's paid citywide. Would it apply to an east-west streetcar?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Noticed that there is Some rusting of metal components inside the cars and door seals not longer sealing
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:36 pm Noticed that there is Some rusting of metal components inside the cars and door seals not longer sealing
Can you be more specific about rusting? Which components? General location? Thx.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:36 pm Noticed that there is Some rusting of metal components inside the cars and door seals not longer sealing
Can you be more specific about rusting? Which components? General location? Thx.
Random metal bits closer to the floor, iirc metal hardware below the seats. Door seals you can see outside the vehicle as they no longer make a tight seal. I’ll try to get car number if I remember it
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Why doesn’t KC Streetcar have their own tow trucks?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Tow trucks can typically show up in 15-20 minutes after calling. I don't see how RideKC could muster a person to go to the depot, get in a tow truck and run out there much quicker for the infrequent times there are people blocking the line. They don't have dedicated tow trucks for the busses do they? Or mobile maintenance vehicles, right?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:46 pm Tow trucks can typically show up in 15-20 minutes after calling. I don't see how RideKC could muster a person to go to the depot, get in a tow truck and run out there much quicker for the infrequent times there are people blocking the line. They don't have dedicated tow trucks for the busses do they? Or mobile maintenance vehicles, right?
What a dumb response

A Streetcar Authority SUV appears within 2-3 minutes of stoppage. Not sure why it can’t be a tow truck instead. Currently takes around 30 minutes to clear a vehicle over the tracks.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

langosta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:51 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:46 pm Tow trucks can typically show up in 15-20 minutes after calling. I don't see how RideKC could muster a person to go to the depot, get in a tow truck and run out there much quicker for the infrequent times there are people blocking the line. They don't have dedicated tow trucks for the busses do they? Or mobile maintenance vehicles, right?
What a dumb response

A Streetcar Authority SUV appears within 2-3 minutes of stoppage. Not sure why it can’t be a tow truck instead. Currently takes around 30 minutes to clear a vehicle over the tracks.
Fridge off. Call them yourself and ask them
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is the answer:

- KCPD is the only entity with authority to tow from the public right-of-way (this is being reconsidered, but not yet final)
- KCATA does have a tow truck for buses, but can't tow a private vehicle from the right-of-way (see above)
- All things considered, KCPD response time is reasonable but could be better
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've seen tow trucks swarm on wrecks faster than FD or PD. Their response time isn't the problem.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:27 pm I've seen tow trucks swarm on wrecks faster than FD or PD. Their response time isn't the problem.
So you're directly involved in the process? That's interesting. Otherwise you've provided an anecdote.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Definitely anecdotally, hence the "I've seen". How fast is Ridekc/streetcar calling for a tow? Are we being nice and trying to honk our way out of it? I'm sure the tow companies are monitoring for accident reports on the emergency channels so as soon as an accident is reported that's when they show up so fast. That's the times I've seen it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:42 pm Definitely anecdotally, hence the "I've seen". How fast is Ridekc/streetcar calling for a tow? Are we being nice and trying to honk our way out of it? I'm sure the tow companies are monitoring for accident reports on the emergency channels so as soon as an accident is reported that's when they show up so fast. That's the times I've seen it.
I guarantee you if it's happening in the KCMO public right-of-way KCPD is intercepting/requesting the tow request. There is no intent on being nice if the system is halted.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well glad it's got our attention as the longer the system gets the bigger impacts these will be.

I have no idea what happens to the actual towing I just know the tow trucks have shown up first which is all I was saying, calling a tow truck and getting them there isn't the issue, hence having RideKC tow trucks isn't going to improve anything.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 pm Well glad it's got our attention as the longer the system gets the bigger impacts these will be.

I have no idea what happens to the actual towing I just know the tow trucks have shown up first which is all I was saying, calling a tow truck and getting them there isn't the issue, hence having RideKC tow trucks isn't going to improve anything.
You described Selection Bias

If you were there when it happened you saw the 5 minutes they were nearby. With hundreds of thousands of likely minutes for a crash each year you missed the other thousands of times they weren't nearby.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 pm Well glad it's got our attention as the longer the system gets the bigger impacts these will be.

If you were there when it happened you saw the 5 minutes they were nearby. With hundreds of thousands of likely minutes for a crash each year you missed the other thousands of times they weren't nearby.
Please stop.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

longviewmo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:34 pm
flyingember wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am

Please stop.
Seriously, this is about the 4th or 5th thread I’ve encountered with Ember being told to stop responding so pompously and pretentiously. If multiple people keep telling someone the same thing, there is a common denominator there. We get that you have all the answers Ember, but there is no reason to constantly belittle everyone on the damn forum.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 pm Seriously, this is about the 4th or 5th thread I’ve encountered with Ember being told to stop responding so pompously and pretentiously. If multiple people keep telling someone the same thing, there is a common denominator there. We get that you have all the answers Ember, but there is no reason to constantly belittle everyone on the damn forum.
Used to ban people for a short period of time for a cool down. Happened to me once when I was being an asshole. Not proud of it, but was useful. Sometimes you get in a place of relishing being the protagonist/antagonist and need a pause to break out of it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The Missouri dot made some weird ass comment about the streetcar getting infrastructure funds from the state.

Was he just talking or is that a real thing?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It is possible that a state would distribute federal funds for such an endeavor. Whether Missouri's elected leadership will decide to do it is the question. The head of Missouri's DOT can speculate that it might, but he will not be the one making that decision.