KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

Right options are good, but would be nice if all worked consistently from the same core data source. My main point is that there isn't consistency with the data.

This one one was most useful (to me anyway), but now lacks 805. Prefer to avoid resource consuming apps when possible, which typically involves too many steps. Save this to home screen and when opened the realtime map is right there with arrival times per stop.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Standing on the northbound metro center platform and 803 just whizzed by without stopping. Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone knows what's up?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Did the overhead sign say anything like out of service or something? People in the train?

Check a mirror and make sure you are still, uh, visible?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm Standing on the northbound metro center platform and 803 just whizzed by without stopping. Not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone knows what's up?
Did you make sure you were glowing before you were going?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 pm Did the overhead sign say anything like out of service or something? People in the train?

Check a mirror and make sure you are still, uh, visible?
Didn't notice an out of service sign, and there were pax. Appeared to stop at the library stop. I dunno, just weird.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The streetcar mgmt has been strange today. Earlier morning it took well over 20 min and two women that came out of hotel were waiting at stop as well and I overheard them worrying about being late to a meeting. They were getting ready to get an Uber when I told them it's now down street.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

To add to the strangeness, my lunch buddy and I were leaving Beignet and heading back toward the 5th Street stop; when we got almost to Minsky's, a streetcar pulled into the stop, so we figured we'd have to catch it when it looped back around to Delaware. No big deal, but before we even got to the Delaware stop, another streetcar was already pulling into 5th street. Not that it was particularly inconvenient or annoying or anything, just weird. The spacing seemed very odd, which I thought could have accounted for the 803 blowing past us on 12th Street (there were not that many people on the platform, so I thought if he was running behind and nobody had requested a stop maybe he was doing catch-up or something) but then to have that happen followed by back-to-back streetcars pulling into 5th Street so close together made it seem like the opposite was going on. Maybe there was an overcorrection or something, I dunno. And it doesn't really matter, it's really very minor, I was just curious if anyone (cough, Dave) knew what was going on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

If you see weird stuff like this, please report to the streetcar's official channels. This is a contracted service and the contractor is held to performance criteria.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What official channels? If I have get the twooter, I'll kindly ask you to get off my lawn. :P
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm What official channels? If I have get the twooter, I'll kindly ask you to get off my lawn. :P
http://kcstreetcar.org/contact/
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The weirdness continues into the weekend.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When did contractors take over? Or has it always been? Something feels different over the last week or two.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

earthling wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:10 pm When did contractors take over? Or has it always been? Something feels different over the last week or two.
They have always operated it. I’m pretty sure they also built it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm
earthling wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:10 pm When did contractors take over? Or has it always been? Something feels different over the last week or two.
They have always operated it. I’m pretty sure they also built it.
Herzog Transit Services Inc. operates the downtown streetcar under contract to the Streetcar Authority and the City of KCMO. Their contract was just extended. A separate Herzog division was part of the joint venture that built the line (the other construction partner was Stacy & Witbeck).

Back to the posted photo, there are two streetcars parked at Union Station. That is not typical, but also not unheard of (it's why there's enough track for two streetcars -- one can "stage" and the other can run in service). What behavior seemed unusual other than two streetcars being at US at the same time?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Service today was fantastic. It felt like there was always a streetcar arriving at each stop. Hopefully, this is the new normal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Over 25 minute wait this morning. Doesn't look good to visitors expecting to use streetcar to get to office in morning. The morning ridership may not justify running extra train but isn't there a surplus? Does it matter?

Also the signs really need to be fixed. The kiosk still doesn't match the digital signs or some of the apps. Need to just get it fixed and consistent across all apps. Have sent message to contact. If they aren't going to keep things working correctly then why do it at all. They're own tracker on website doesn't track 805.

/nitpick mode
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Got a quick response from Streetcar Authority that 805 was down for a while this morning so only two running. Only 3 trains total are functional overall?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm Got a quick response from Streetcar Authority that 805 was down for a while this morning so only two running. Only 3 trains total are functional overall?
If two trains were undergoing basic maintenance when it breaks down it's possible.

It's why they ordered two more trains, 806 arriving will help with operations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm Got a quick response from Streetcar Authority that 805 was down for a while this morning so only two running. Only 3 trains total are functional overall?

Could be the other two were already down for scheduled maintenance?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am Over 25 minute wait this morning. Doesn't look good to visitors expecting to use streetcar to get to office in morning. The morning ridership may not justify running extra train but isn't there a surplus? Does it matter?

Also the signs really need to be fixed. The kiosk still doesn't match the digital signs or some of the apps. Need to just get it fixed and consistent across all apps. Have sent message to contact. If they aren't going to keep things working correctly then why do it at all. They're own tracker on website doesn't track 805.

/nitpick mode
The standard weekday schedule does not fluctuate. If you waited longer than 10-12 minutes it was due to a vehicle being pulled from service or a blockage. Having more vehicles allows better schedule recovery when vehicles are pulled from service, but nothing can help a blockage other than prompt removal of the blockage. If a spare is not available, it's likely due to those spares being in maintenance or repair.

806 arrives very soon!