KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

While I love this dialog, it's set for the river to UMKC section. Design is too far along for this significant of a change order (and there's really no operational benefit given current and future ridership forecasts).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If that’s the case, I will have to personally make sure Inde and Linwood go center running, 5+ module
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:10 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:38 pm Enabling a hybrid-center running type of system in certain areas versus the true on-street system.
Our current trains can do this. There's no enabling required and the 2014 study looked at this for NKC.

http://www.nkc.org/UserFiles/Servers/Se ... 0small.pdf
page 90
I was more thinking if there was a different model of Urbos used with a higher top speed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:27 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:38 pm Enabling a hybrid-center running type of system in certain areas versus the true on-street system.
Our current trains can do this. There's no enabling required and the 2014 study looked at this for NKC.

page 90
I was more thinking if there was a different model of Urbos used with a higher top speed.
You don't need a different model for that. This isn't like buying a car.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:22 pm

page 90
Stockholm has an Urbos in the same model line that does 90kph. Ours is 70kph
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:36 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Stockholm has an Urbos in the same model line that does 90kph. Ours is 70kph
Right, we have the Urbos 3, while they also offer Urbos AXL and Urbos TT units where there is a dedicated rail line more aligned with true light rail. Just hypothetical of course. I think we would probably be best with just keeping the same units and people would be OK with the slower speed, especially if still zero fare.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The first priority is just to not go slow -- linear routes and the right balance of access (number of stops vs speed). Current vehicles are capable of 45mph, and you won't ever need more than that unless you're going really far between stops in dedicated right of way (which we basically don't have much of, unless it's carved out of streets).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:07 am The first priority is just to not go slow -- linear routes and the right balance of access (number of stops vs speed). Current vehicles are capable of 45mph, and you won't ever need more than that unless you're going really far between stops in dedicated right of way (which we basically don't have much of, unless it's carved out of streets).
When commuting to work in 2019 it was quicker to take Burlington and Oak to Crown Center at a lower speed limit than I-35 and US 71 because the traffic on the freeway reduced the practical speed limit so much going through more signals was faster. it's not the raw speed my car can go that matters, it's the actual speed.

But if I had an HOV lane I could pay to use, I perhaps could get past traffic quicker. Used one in Houston where traffic was going 10mph and the HOV lane was full freeway speed.

I've seen a train that couldn't go above 45mph (An Urbos in Houston) zoom past cars in a dedicated lane because they had signal priority and didn't wait in traffic at all. The train quickly would have quickly been multiple signals in front of me.

It's why having a dedicated lane in NKC would be important, I bet that with a priority signal position to be first through an intersection the train could travel the length of Burlington 2-3x as fast as a car even going the same speed because it's not stopping half a block back from the signal.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Will the streetcar ever go to past 12am on weekends for its final stops?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:16 pm Will the streetcar ever go to past 12am on weekends for its final stops?
Not unless there is enough demand I’d imagine
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

How is there not enough demand on the weekends? Last two times we went out to P&L we had to pack up shop early and go home because the train is done by 12am. It was the case for alot of people too at the stops I noticed. Pretty annoying because I think it used to be 2am or later.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I vaguely recall later hours as well.

Maybe cutback during covid?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

GRID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:05 pm I think you are much better off getting traffic off the tracks and increasing frequency.

KCMO needs to figure out a way to get people to use other streets downtown besides the streets the trams are on. Most of the streets in downtown KC are totally empty, including Grand.

Make it hard to drive down Main for several blocks. Cars should on only be on Main for a block to access a garage or something.
You could make other north/ south streets one-way ;-)

Seriously, I don't know why people take Main. My office is on Main but I always park from Baltimore, and unless I am coming from Costco (Hyde Park) or Crown Center, I am going to approach downtown from SW trafficway/ I-35 every time, which means I don't get onto the grid until pretty close in latitude to my destination (Truman, 14th, 12th, 10th, etc.)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:02 pm I vaguely recall later hours as well.

Maybe cutback during covid?
Agree that 2am sounds familiar
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It used to be 2AM weekends. Are cutbacks perhaps related to pandemic reduced TDD sale taxes within stretch, impacting operational budget? Dave?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was 2am pre pandemic. I think the shortened hours are all still pandemic related and still ramping back up to normal hours.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:32 pm It was 2am pre pandemic. I think the shortened hours are all still pandemic related and still ramping back up to normal hours.
Correct. Ridership after 10pm was never strong, but it was more about access and serving the ratepayers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And helps those that work in hospitality that aren't getting off until later hours
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:50 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:32 pm It was 2am pre pandemic. I think the shortened hours are all still pandemic related and still ramping back up to normal hours.
Correct. Ridership after 10pm was never strong, but it was more about access and serving the ratepayers.
What’s the prerequisite to get service until 2am reinstated?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCBJ Cover Story: Does the streetcar create desire?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... terly.html

Answer: Of course. So projects along line using incentives need a broad public element.