Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 pm
Something that drives me crazy but I am sure there is a reason for.

I’ll use the northbound crossroads stop as an example. The streetcar constantly gets stopped at the 19th st red light only to finally cross the street and immediately stop again for the crossroads stop.

Someone please explain to me why this happens and the streetcar isn’t given signal priority. It drives me mad every time I see it happen and makes me lose all faith in traffic engineers.
Our good friends public works

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 pm
WoodDraw wrote:

I’ll use the northbound crossroads stop as an example. The streetcar constantly gets stopped at the 19th st red light only to finally cross the street and immediately stop again for the crossroads stop.

Someone please explain to me why this happens and the streetcar isn’t given signal priority. It drives me mad every time I see it happen and makes me lose all faith in traffic engineers.
Nooo I want a good explanation, please don't let it be this.

A police officer once told me it was because the unions wouldn't let anyone have light priority over them, and while I think it's a conspiracy theory, I Find it entertaining. Lol

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 am
normalthings wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:

A police officer once told me it was because the unions wouldn't let anyone have light priority over them, and while I think it's a conspiracy theory, I Find it entertaining. Lol
LOL. That is an outright lie. It's just Public Works engineers, none of which are union. Coincidentally, PD/FD can trigger part of this system (Opticom) to make going through intersections in an emergency safer for all but they refuse to do so (or so says PW). Instead they just blow through with sirens blaring.

It's confusing, but there is a distinction between signal priority and signal pre-emption. The streetcar does have priority, and within that it's a knob and not a switch -- if the streetcar is "on time" there's no need to shorten the red or extend the green (at least the way the system is programmed). Each intersection is adjusted according to the needs of the streetcar and cross-street traffic. The streetcar runs faster now than it did at launch because of this fine tuning.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's very noticeable at 5th and grand and S truman and main. S truman light is like 4 seconds.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:59 am
WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 am
normalthings wrote:

LOL. That is an outright lie. It's just Public Works engineers, none of which are union. Coincidentally, PD/FD can trigger part of this system (Opticom) to make going through intersections in an emergency safer for all but they refuse to do so (or so says PW). Instead they just blow through with sirens blaring.

It's confusing, but there is a distinction between signal priority and signal pre-emption. The streetcar does have priority, and within that it's a knob and not a switch -- if the streetcar is "on time" there's no need to shorten the red or extend the green (at least the way the system is programmed). Each intersection is adjusted according to the needs of the streetcar and cross-street traffic. The streetcar runs faster now than it did at launch because of this fine tuning.
For the record, was just passing on a funny story. I never believed it.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think they should adjust for scenarios like this. But I really appreciate the explanation.