SmartMoves

Transportation topics in KC
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: SmartMoves

Post by advocrat »

I went to the meeting tonight. I saw some familiar faces from other transit meetings.  There was something of a change in the air tonight.  I went to my first Smartmoves (oneKCvoice) meeting 2 or 3 years ago. At that time emphasis was heavily directed towards bus, and BRT systems.

Tonight the interest on the part of the public was on transit rail (light rail, commuter rail, intercity rail). There was less emphasis on bus type transit, but the good thing is that it was not solely about either, rather an integrated system.  But rail was much more prominently on the table at this meeting.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

advocrat wrote: I went to the meeting tonight. I saw some familiar faces from other transit meetings.  There was something of a change in the air tonight.  I went to my first Smartmoves (oneKCvoice) meeting 2 or 3 years ago. At that time emphasis was heavily directed towards bus, and BRT systems.

Tonight the interest on the part of the public was on transit rail (light rail, commuter rail, intercity rail). There was less emphasis on bus type transit, but the good thing is that it was not solely about either, rather an integrated system.  But rail was much more prominently on the table at this meeting.
Good to hear we have come full circle and the meetings are similar to the first ones I went to in....

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Workshop recap:  http://kclightrail.com/2007/12/18/smart ... hop-recap/
advocrat wrote: Tonight the interest on the part of the public was on transit rail (light rail, commuter rail, intercity rail). There was less emphasis on bus type transit, but the good thing is that it was not solely about either, rather an integrated system.  But rail was much more prominently on the table at this meeting.
Completely agree.  In my group, I got the feeling folks wanted rail, primarily along I-35 and I-70 but knew it was a long way out since there wasn't any money for it.  But there were still happy to identify routes knowing they'd only be served by buses.  So, while rail is preferred, I wouldn't say folks at my table considered it do-or-die.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote: Good to hear we have come full circle and the meetings are similar to the first ones I went to in....

Nail: Head

We just keep drawing the same lines over and over.  These exercises aren't going to change the situation, which is that voters are not making enough noise to their elected leaders about doing something.

The only way to make real progress is for the RTA to become a real advocacy organization and get voters to fill the mailboxes of mayors and city councils all over the metro. 

We have the authority to move forward with regional funding for the majority of SmartMoves, so let's do it.  It would be great if Kansas joins us, but we can't afford to wait on them any longer.
Languagehat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Languagehat »

"The only way to make real progress is for the RTA to become a real advocacy organization and get voters to fill the mailboxes of mayors and city councils all over the metro." 

Rather than waiting on the RTA for this, how many on this forum have already called or written our own local electeds demanding better transit?  How recently? 

If anyone wants contact info for your own county commissioners, mayor, council members, etc. there's an updated list online at: http://www.marc.org/pod.htm
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Languagehat wrote:

Rather than waiting on the RTA for this, how many on this forum have already called or written our own local electeds demanding better transit?  How recently? 

If anyone wants contact info for your own county commissioners, mayor, council members, etc. there's an updated list online at: http://www.marc.org/pod.htm
Thank you! Make your voices heard. We're a powerful constituency on the forum but we have to let someone know we're here.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

New plan, new maps,  new web site.  Overall they have pared it down to a few high-priority corridors and dropped some of the freeway express routes to focus mostly on corridors that could host a range of things like BRT, LRT, rail, etc.  Over half of this map is already in the works when you include the KCMO starter line, the Missouri regional initiative, and KCK's plan for BRT on State Avenue.

http://www.kcsmartmoves.org

Red: "Urban Service" with BRT or LRT
Blue: "Commuter Service" with freeway express buses, BRT, LRT, or commuter rail
Yellow: "Major fixed route service" with regular buses running high frequencies and fewer stops

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yay! smartmoves finally lives up to its name!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So what does this mean other than cute web pages with good ideas? Why doesn't the "powers that be" pay any attention to the people who currently move our people around?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: yay! smartmoves finally lives up to its name!
I never had a problem with the previous Smart Moves plan. I don't get the "finally" part. No one paid attention to them, but they were on the right track IMO.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I never had a problem with the previous Smart Moves plan. I don't get the "finally" part. No one paid attention to them, but they were on the right track IMO.
there is finally a realization that just because rail gets voted down you can still put it in your long-range plan as a serious modal choice. there is finally some political movement taking place on which they can overlay the years of planning.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: there is finally a realization that just because rail gets voted down you can still put it in your long-range plan as a serious modal choice. there is finally some political movement taking place on which they can overlay the years of planning.
I've never seen/heard any of SmartMoves touted or expanded upon by anyone in City Hall including during MKB's term. Funkhouser's plan with winding commuter, exurban rail looked like something that would've been more appropriate at the turn of the 20th Century and ignored existing potential for exurban connections on existing auto-driven routes.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

sounds like it's time to start making this plan a reality.  Prioritizing the red lines and making them real BRT.
Last edited by ComandanteCero on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the draft Urban Corridors report is now available:

http://www.marc.org/transportation/agen ... -02-26.pdf
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

With the additional $500 million per year MODOT is getting, they have released a new priorities survey. Asks about congestion fixing (highway expansion), bridges, signage, snow removal, light rail, and bike lanes.

https://www.survio.com/survey/d/july?modotsurvey=1CNG
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm the draft Urban Corridors report is now available:

http://www.marc.org/transportation/agendas/Transit/Urban_Corridors_Report_Draft_IV_2010-02-26.pdf
I'm getting 'page not found'. And the link shows 2010 report.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:54 am With the additional $500 million per year MODOT is getting, they have released a new priorities survey. Asks about congestion fixing (highway expansion), bridges, signage, snow removal, light rail, and bike lanes.

Where was this published? I don't see anything in their newsletter or Twitter feed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:00 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm the draft Urban Corridors report is now available:

http://www.marc.org/transportation/agendas/Transit/Urban_Corridors_Report_Draft_IV_2010-02-26.pdf
Makes sense considering dave posted that in 2010
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:08 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:54 am With the additional $500 million per year MODOT is getting, they have released a new priorities survey. Asks about congestion fixing (highway expansion), bridges, signage, snow removal, light rail, and bike lanes.

Where was this published? I don't see anything in their newsletter or Twitter feed.
Direct outreach to residents.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:15 am
earthling wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:00 am

Makes sense considering dave posted that in 2010
Hah, funny, didn't notice that. That post showed as a 'new' post for me.