SmartMoves

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

SmartMoves

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.marc.org/kcsmartmoves/

any comments? I'd like to see more detail on the site......so what are the next steps?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: SmartMoves

Post by phxcat »

Thats very interesting. I wonder how much difference it will make to ridership to have the large, visible hubs. In my mind, one reason that people don't ride the bus is because they don't really know where it goes. Rail has a big ol thing that you can physically see all the time- it is a constant reminder. Although I haven't ridden the bus here, (because I'm not used to it and I don't really know where they go) I always think I should because we have bus stops all over he place.

Its good to see the integration with the rail from JoCo- especially the part about it being extended down I-70?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Nifty plan but no timetable has been established and the annual costs seem a little ambitous. I'll just be happy if the first BRT line actually gets built.

Another concern... $30million is expected to be generated from KCMO sales tax. Isn't that most of the ATA budget? If so, there will only be inter city rapid lines and signficantly fewer local lines.

Here's a map...
http://www.marc.org/kcsmartmoves/map.htm
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Kinda disappointing that they haven't provided many more details than the original talking points they came out with a year ago. They don't have any specifics for the proposed legislation for funding the system. They also haven't said how it will be run. Will there be a new regional entity to replace the ATA? Will JoCo re-join the existing ATA?

How will the new transit system be integrated with planning and zoning? Why isn't there more service in the exploding Lee's Summit and Clay County areas that have burgeoning New Urban communities?

While I think this absolutely puts us on the road to a desparately needed regional transit strategy, they need to have more details available to get public support.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

In twelve years, KC will be....lets see....Denver back in 1985???

Whatever, just do something.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is a letter I received from Janet Rogers. Janet Rogers is an ATA bus rider from Blue Springs who has become quite active (and well known) in trying to get funding for the Blue Springs to Kansas City bus service.

It’s disheartening to see the ATA and SmartMoves move at such a slow pace. She mentioned a vote is not even likely till 2006 (I’m sure that means 2008). Anyway…

Hi Bus Riders,
I thought it was time to fill you in a little about the RTA (Regional Transit
Alliance) and what is going on with the buses. If you remember I became a board member in May. RTA meets every other month so I have been to 3 meetings. In between they have executive meetings, committee meetings, work with the MARC (Mid-America Regional Council), spread the word about Smart Moves, meet with legislators and work on projects. Annually they hold a business meeting, legislative trips to Topeka and Jefferson City and they hold the Communities in Motion Day. Recently they helped develop and they funded a new brochure titled "Explore the Core-Discover Kansas City by Bus". It is a bus tour with all kinds of great stops along the downtown corridor from City Market to the Plaza and the KC Board of Trade. All of the points of interest are within walking distance of the bus route. If you want one, let me know. I can get extras to put out at you workplace, too.

The RTA has a web site at www.kctransit.org that spells out the mission and many of the activities. You can also join from the WEB site. If you join, tell them I sent you.

David Warm, director of the MARC, has been at 2 of the board meetings recently. He talked about Smart Moves and what needs to be done to take it to the voters. At this point they still haven't addressed the MO Legislators about giving us permission to ask the voters for a dedicated transportation tax although they are working on the language of the bill to be taken to the

Legislature. Unfortunately, this won't go to the Legislature until early next year. He said a vote on Smart Moves might not come until 2006 or later. Many people on the RTA are upset because Smart Moves keeps getting moved backed. This has happened, at least partly, because of the Arena and Bi-State ll. Nobody wants to go to the electorate with all of these tax requests at once, and when they are prioritized Smart Moves gets pushed back. We saw David before Bi-State ll was defeated, but he said that if it got defeated it probably wouldn't go away. Since there is still talk of putting the stadiums downtown, that may cause another delay in Smart Moves until the stadiums are resolved. He didn't know what would happen at that point.

As a result, when it is time to go to the MO Legislature, we will need a concerted effort to convince the legislators we are serious about having the right to decide our own tax destiny and how we want to spend our taxes as well as the importance of public transportation and the inadequacy of the current KC metro system.

The RTA is currently starting a new membership drive. We feel strongly that we would have a lot more influence if we built our numbers up. Membership has lagged since people were disheartened after the failure of light rail. However, light rail was another one of these KC only projects. We have never had the opportunity to impact public transportation as a region. You can join the RTA for $20 through the WEB site or I have membership forms. I have joined the communication committee and we want to get a newsletter started again and action alerts out when there is something that specifically needs the help of large numbers. You have seen what emails, letters and phone calls can do on a small scale. Imagine what 5000 members could accomplish for the region. By the way, joining the RTA is tax-deductible and we can get matching funds to boost our effectiveness.

Whether you join or not, I'll let you know when and where to contact the MO legislators when it becomes important. Joining is important though. Impacting legislators comes from either money or numbers. We don't have money, so we have to put together enough people to make a difference.

I saw Mark Swope, KCATA, at the last board meeting. He was there to discuss the closing of the Paseo Bridge in the Spring, probably April 1, for up to 6 months. Let all of your friends know that MODOT and the KCATA are working on setting up commuter lots north of the city to bring in as many people as possible. Imagine all of the traffic over the Paseo Bridge trying to pack onto the other bridges!!!! Combining people onto frequently running buses will help alleviate the problem. They are also recommending car pooling.

Mark and I didn't have much time to discuss our bus situation but he did indicate that we will have problems again when the money runs out at the end of 2005. I have sent him an email asking for an update and suggestions. I hope to hear from him soon.

The MARC has just started having meetings looking at I-70 alternatives. They are going to meet 4 times in the next year to get input from the major community groups including RTA. They had the first meeting Nov 12. They mainly discussed utilizing the current train line from Odessa to downtown as a commuter line. It is interesting to find out that this line probably would have a terminal at about 2nd and Grand and then buses to take us around downtown. Trains from the East probably won't be able to use Union Station as a hub. The forecasts are that I-70 will be in gridlock in 10 years unless something else is done. If you have questions, comments or want to know more about this let me know. I'll let the people on the committee know your concerns and try to find answers to your questions.

Sorry this is so long. I should probably write less but more often.

Janet
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The big problem is that none of the usual power brokers have gotten behind Smart Moves and pushed it. No politicans like the Mayor or County Executive, no Chamber of Commerce, no neighborhood associations.

The RTA is a good idea, but they are far too small and ineffective to make much of a difference. If they ever grew into a large grass roots organization, then they might be able to get some attention from good ol' boys.

A 2008 vote seems pretty realistic. It will probably take two legislative sessions to get the necessary bills through both state legislatures. That gets us the taxing authority by 2006. Then probably another year to get all the metro counties to put it on a ballot. So late 2007 or early 2008 isn't that unreasonable.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Good, closing the Paseo bridge will force some smarter transportation choices. What else can we close? 8)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Actually, the Paseo closing probably won't prompt many people to switch to the bus. When it closed for emergency repairs last winter, the traffic redistributed itself to the other bridges pretty efficiently. The Heart of America and Chouteau Bridges in particular have a lot of extra capacity.

Solo drivers are VERY stubborn. They won't switch unless the commute becomes extremely inconvenient or the bus becomes a lot more attractive and convenient. We would have to close both the Paseo AND the Broadway bridges to even get close to a situation that would get some people out of their cars.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

City commissioner lobbies for transit project

By Chad Lawhorn, Business Editor

Monday, December 6, 2004

Lawrence residents should throw their support behind efforts to build a major commuter rail project in the Kansas City metro area, City Commissioner Boog Highberger said last week.

Officials with the Mid-America Regional Council are expected to go to state legislators in Kansas and Missouri to ask for the authority to put on the ballot a referendum that would create a new sales tax to finance a commuter rail system.

Mel Henderson, director of transportation for the council, said the sales tax could be as large as a half-percent, but the council was not seeking to have it levied in Douglas County. Highberger, though, said Lawrence residents had a lot to gain from the efforts under way in Kansas City.

If a proposal to establish a commuter bus system between Lawrence and Johnson County is successful, he said a commuter rail system in Kansas City could be a major benefit to Lawrence residents.

"If you could get on a bus and in a half-hour be to a commuter rail site that would get you to downtown Kansas City, it seems like that would be a benefit to a lot of people," Highberger said. "I think this has the chance to really become a serious regional public transportation system."

He is asking city commissioners to consider adding the issue to the city's list of priorities for the 2005 legislative session.

Henderson said the council would welcome the support. The council has been working on the proposal, called Smart Moves, for about three years. This legislative session would mark its first attempt to put the issue on the ballot. The council must receive permission from the Kansas and Missouri legislatures to seek a public vote. Voters would then have to approve the tax before it went into effect.

The council serves as a planning organization for the K.C. metro area. If approved the tax would be levied in eight counties -- Leavenworth, Wyandotte and Johnson counties in Kansas, and Platte, Clay, Ray, Jackson and Cass counties in Missouri.

Lawrence city commissioners are expected to finalize their 2005 legislative priorities later this month.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2004 The Lawrence Journal-World. All rights reserved.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Ray County? It's totally rural. Not even exurban yet. I doubt they would go for a transit tax, because it's hard to imagine them getting much benefit.

Unfortunately I'm not very optimisit about getting the Missouri General Assembly to buy into this. The last election put the rural Republicans in firm control of most of state government. Urban issues like public transporation will not be a priority, especially when KC's delegation is mostly Democratic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dangerboy wrote:Ray County? It's totally rural. Not even exurban yet. I doubt they would go for a transit tax, because it's hard to imagine them getting much benefit.

Unfortunately I'm not very optimisit about getting the Missouri General Assembly to buy into this. The last election put the rural Republicans in firm control of most of state government. Urban issues like public transporation will not be a priority, especially when KC's delegation is mostly Democratic.
I agree, you can't catch a bus in urban KCMO many times to many places but they want to mess with Ray County?

Anway, again, I want to applaud Lawrence for stepping up and helping to move along these transit proposals.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 259038.htm

Value seen in area transit plan

By BRIAN BURNES

The Kansas City Star

Imagine an areawide transit system that includes light rail and high-comfort express buses connecting far-flung locations in seven Kansas City-area counties.

Two Kansas City-area transportation experts on Monday night told the Independence City Council that such a system already exists — at least, on paper.

It's called Smart Moves.

The plan envisions a mix of transit options, such as commuter rail, high-comfort express busses or “coaches,â€
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

"Two Kansas City-area transportation experts on Monday night told the Independence City Council that such a system already exists — at least, on paper. It's called Smart Moves."

So the news is that it's not new? Good job, KC Star.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

What's news here is that MARC and KCATA are going out into the community to explain Smart Moves and  make the case for the various city councils to support the eventual tax proposal to fund Smart Moves.  We will see many more of these meetings over the next year as they start the dog and pony show to sell Smart Moves to the various city and county governments.

The Examiner's report of the same meeting was a little better: http://examiner.net/stories/032905/new_032905002.shtml
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote: Ray County?  It's totally rural.  Not even exurban yet.  I doubt they would go for a transit tax, because it's hard to imagine them getting much benefit.  

Unfortunately I'm not very optimisit about getting the Missouri General Assembly to buy into this.  The last election put the rural Republicans in firm control of most of state government.  Urban issues like public transporation will not be a priority, especially when KC's delegation is mostly Democratic.
There are a ton of people from Ray County that commute to the area to work.  Especially to the Ford Plant and to work places like Hallmark, Lear Corporation, Banta and those other facilities located in the industrial area on the north side of Liberty.  Most of those people car pool now and it probably would get some use if it was built but it definitely shouldn't be a big priority.  There are other areas that would be better served by it that should come first for sure.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

It's starting to sound like the idea of a metro wide transit system is starting to get some suburban supporters which is refreshing. Both Overland Park mayoral candidates call for an areawide transportation system although they don't specify the Smartmoves plan. Sader specifically calls for the building of an areawide LRT system.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/11262688.htm

Posted on Wed, Mar. 30, 2005

Two favor areawide transit effort

By BRAD COOPER The Kansas City Star

In a debate Tuesday, Overland Park mayoral candidates Carl Gerlach and Neil Sader tackled issues ranging from transportation to smoking restrictions.

During the 90-minute session sponsored by the Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, Sader called for an areawide effort to build a light-rail system.

“I don't think people in this metropolitan area are ever going to ride or have a successful bus system,” Sader told an audience of about 120 people at the Overland Park Marriott.

“I think what we need to look at in the future, if we're serious about this area continuing to grow, is a light-rail system. It's going to have to start small. It's going to have to be incremental, and it's going to have to grow.”

Sader's rival, Carl Gerlach, agreed that an areawide approach to transportation problems was needed, but he did not advocate any particular solution.

“Maybe it won't be light rail,” he said. “Maybe it will be a bus system. Maybe it will be carpool lanes. I think there are a number of options that haven't been looked at yet.”

Sader and Gerlach are battling to succeed Mayor Ed Eilert, who is stepping down after 24 years. The election is Tuesday.

Both candidates said tax incentives should be used sparingly. Gerlach said, however, that it was vital for Overland Park to remain competitive with neighboring cities that are handing out tax breaks. “We can't turn our head and stick our heads in the sand,” Gerlach said.

He said the city should require businesses that receive tax incentives to create a certain number of jobs with certain salary levels. If the businesses don't meet those thresholds, the tax incentives should be revoked, he said.

Sader said tax incentives should be decided case by case. Projects such as arenas, convention centers and cutting-edge retail areas warrant incentives, he said.

Sader wants to ban smoking in restaurants and bars unless they build enclosed areas that are separately ventilated for smokers.

Gerlach opposes a unilateral ban for fear that it would put Overland Park restaurants at a competitive disadvantage.

Six years ago Sader argued in favor of a proposal to prohibit smoking at all food-service establishments without bars, unless they had separately ventilated areas for smoking. At restaurants with bars, he wanted to confine smoking to within 10 feet of the bar.

At Tuesday's debate, Gerlach called that proposal extreme,” saying it had little chance of winning approval.

Gerlach pushed a plan in 1999 that was narrower in scope. His proposal would have banned smoking only in fast-food restaurants and in new restaurants, unless they had enclosed areas separately ventilated for smokers.

Gerlach's proposal eventually passed, but at the time affected only 10 fast-food restaurants. Many others had already banned smoking at the time the new law was passed.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

After spending a few hours last night going over nearly every bus route in the urban core I am completely underwhelmed. I can't believe that many of the routes end at around 7:00. There's a lot of talk about the convenience of MAX, but if you don't live near that line or the Troost line you're shit out of luck if you're business isn't done by 6:00 PM. Even Lawrence's bus system which is only a couple years old has service on all routes until 8:00. Every route in the core should go until at least after 10:00 PM. .

Another issue is that most of the lines are suburban connectors to great attractions like Bannister Mall or Blue Ridge. How many buses are there to strictly connect parts of the urban core quickly and efficiently? A city with the urban the size of Kansas City surely deserves a lot better.

I also don't get how people are going to say we need a commuter rail service when our bus map looks like it belongs in Peoria.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

If we are ever going to get serious about commuter rail...has the idea of a Watkins Expressway commuter rail line ever come up? I could imagine this being one of the most popular lines carrying people from the new/old booming south 'burbs like Raymore, Belton, and Grandview (NIMBYs be damned) as well as many East Siders and SKCers who already are heavy users of the city's bus system.

I think this route should seriously be considered in addition to an I-70 line and a I-35 line.

Also, why would the airport not be suitable for commuter heavy rail opposed to light rail? I don't see any rail lines around the airport but wouldn't it be very, very expensive to have light rail going all the way to the airport. I can't believe that's one of the reasons it got voted down to begin with.  :(
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

A rail-line to the airport would only be feasible in subsequent phases of the rail inception. As you mentioned TK, it's so costly to build, especially given the sprawlish nature of the airport's environs, that we must first focus our efforts on implementing viable rail transit betwixt and between our existing workaday locales.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit