KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by hartliss »

Actually we now have 3 N/S to Indy. Southwest has one and Northwest just started 2 dailies.
NVJunkie
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NVJunkie »

Yeah, sorry that one got thrown in, i dont think we've ever had a Nonstop to San Juan...would be nice though! Hopefully Midwest can keep growing, it's a great company to work for and they provide a great service to Kansas City.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

[quote="Missionite"]The former CEO of Vanguard, Scott Dickson, was recently hired as the VP of Marketing for Midwest. Now we hear that Midwest is adding/increasing flights on several former Vanguard routes. Coincidence?/quote]

Nice catch! Good news for KC.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Missionite

I am not sure if you knew this already, but beginning april 3rd, American will begin using 763's on one of the DFW-MCI flights. They are doing it for scheduled maintenance but either way it is the first scheduled widebody service for MCI for as long as I can remember.
NVJunkie
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NVJunkie »

Whoa, 763 scheduled service? How long are they planning to run that? I know that at this point, AA is the only carrier MCI-DFW, and i have seen 757s during the winter months, but a daily 763?? Wow, might have to take a trip up to MCI to see that for myself and take a few pics. On a side note, TWA substituted the 763 almost weekly for the 757s from STL, so it's not unheard of around here. (Not to Mention the L1011s and 747s that flew MCI-STL all the time for maintenence back in the good old days!)
NVJunkie
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NVJunkie »

Actually, if you guys are interested, here's a pretty lively discussion about MCI's new Widebody substitution going on at Airliners.net:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/1981202/
Looks like it's flight 81 routing HNL-DFW-MCI, so we have in a sense direct service from Hawaii!?!? I'll do anything for bragging rights at this airport.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

I heard about this. It's funny, but in all of the traveling that I do, I've never flown a widebody. Almost every flight I take is nonstop out of KCI (which is one of the reasons I love our airport...convenience!) and is usually on a 737 or 717. I may have to make it out to the 'port sometime to see this thing in action.

Then again, I also need to make it aboard one of Frontier's Airbuses sometimes soon. Haven't experienced one of those yet.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

hartliss wrote:Actually we now have 3 N/S to Indy. Southwest has one and Northwest just started 2 dailies.
DANGIT!!! I just made reservations to Fort Wayne. NW didn't show a n/s flight to INDY which I would have taken and rented a car. Since I had to change planes anyway, I just am flying directly into FTW.

I'll have to look closer next time.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Missionite wrote:I heard about this. It's funny, but in all of the traveling that I do, I've never flown a widebody. Almost every flight I take is nonstop out of KCI (which is one of the reasons I love our airport...convenience!) and is usually on a 737 or 717. I may have to make it out to the 'port sometime to see this thing in action.

Then again, I also need to make it aboard one of Frontier's Airbuses sometimes soon. Haven't experienced one of those yet.

Matt
Widebodies are good as long as you don't get in the middle IMHO. They are less claustrophobic for long flights. I always look in awe when looking out the window from the terminal at the giant plane I'm going to ride it imagining how it gets airborne.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Speaking of all of this, is there a good, safe, non-threatening spot near KCI to watch the planes where you won't get badgered by security or get treated like a suspected terrorist? I love watching planes, but that has become more and more difficult after 9/11. In Omaha, you could go to the top of the parking garage that rose above the terminal and see the whole airfield. I know there are some roads to the north and south of the airport -- any good spots?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Stab...take i29 north to 152 west, north on North Hampton Rd. and take it as far north as you can go....past Tiffany springs park, etc. You will run into the exterior fence of the airport grounds which puts you less than a mile away from the edge of runway 1L-19R (western most north south runway) and directly under the approach path....seems KCI lands a lot of planes from this direction so you can always see alot pretty quickly and LOW.

I've never hung out there very long because I figured they would come scare me off quickly but it's the best spot I've found.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Garth Algar: Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny?
Wayne Campbell: [cracks up laughing] No... No.
Garth Algar: Neither did I. I was just asking.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:Stab...take i29 north to 152 west, north on North Hampton Rd. and take it as far north as you can go....past Tiffany springs park, etc. You will run into the exterior fence of the airport grounds which puts you less than a mile away from the edge of runway 1L-19R (western most north south runway) and directly under the approach path....seems KCI lands a lot of planes from this direction so you can always see alot pretty quickly and LOW.

I've never hung out there very long because I figured they would come scare me off quickly but it's the best spot I've found.
It looks like you can catch North Hampton Road off of River Road coming out of Parkville. I'm planning a night bike ride up to this spot. How busy is North Hampton? Is it wide and pretty safe for bikes?

Also, does anyone know of a better way to get to Parkville from downtown other than highway 9. The last time I rode this route, I smacked a pothole and pinch-flatted both tires. I was on the side of the road with cars whistling by and the road is desolate and boring for a long way. Can I cut up through neighborhoods or is this area all pretty disconnected?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I'm thinking of trying the Fairfax bridge and then something clever from there to avoid most of 9. Then I'll take the road west out of downtown Parkville that ends up at the airport. In the interest of a different return trip, I'll wrap around the airport and use NW Prarie View Road (fronting 29). I'll figure out a good way to cut through from Congress to Waukomis (72nd or 68th) to N Broadway, down to Vivion where we hop over to N Oak and take that through to the HOA bridge and into downtown.

Now, any guesses on that mileage?
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

harliss, do you know if AA is still planning on discontinuing MCI-LGA flights? I was searching for flights at AA.com and, out of curiosity, I searched for flights to LGA. It still shows non-stops from MCI in the system. I went all the way through December and they're still in the available for booking even after the June 8th date.

Matt
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Did some more searching...and, it actually looks like they're not cutting all of the non-stops to NY, just one of them. Starting 6/9/05, American will have 2 non-stops to LGA instead of three. They're dropping the evening non-stop and adjusting the departure time for the afternoon flight by about an hour (2:15 instead of 1:22).

Looks like it's not as bad as we first thought.

I've got too much time on my hands, I know. :D

Matt
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Hmm, that is a very interesting find. I guess there was really nothing official announcement on the discontinuation just a thread on airliners.net. That is great news if they decide to keep those flights. Also , NW is bumping there IND-MCI up to 3x a day and one of those flights is going to use a A319 I believe.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

That's cool. I was surprised to even get a 757 flying from Denver to KCI last year. I was up at LAX the other day and watched a couple 747s climb out over the bay. They amaze me for some reason.

Too bad they discontinued the Midwest flights to OC. I wanted to try them and they were the only direct service between the two.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Not huge news by any means, but it looks like Midwest's new MCI-LAX route is doing very well and, in response, the airline will add one additional flight starting in August. That will bring the total MCI-LAX routes on Midwest to three a day and 22 total departures a day for the airline.

They also announced a few weeks ago that they're going to fly to Houston (Hobby) from Milwaukee. Hopefully, we'll see a Midwest nonstop to HOU soon as well as some additional Boston non-stops in the near future.

There's also talk among aviation geeks that Midwest may be looking at bringing more regional flights to KC similar to their Midwest Connect operation in Milwaukee.

Matt
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Missionite wrote:There's also talk among aviation geeks that Midwest may be looking at bringing more regional flights to KC similar to their Midwest Connect operation in Milwaukee.

Matt
(Everybody now...)

HUB! HUB! HUB! HUB! HUB! HUB!

Not trying to start anything, but it'd just be nice to see more economic activity at KCI.  :lol: