KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by dev49 »

United cutting a frequency to SFO in April due to the coronavirus travel lag.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

dev49 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:54 pm United cutting a frequency to SFO in April due to the coronavirus travel lag.
I imagine the first of a few in the near term.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't know if it has to do with the CoronaVirus but American has some amazing deals using miles. We got RT tickets from KC to Buenos Aires in October for 30k each RT. (This is an $1100 flight) This is unheard of for Southern South America, they are usually 60-80k RT. There are tons of flights all over the US (Early Summer Travel) that are 10k RT to places all over that are usually expensive to fly to like Burlington VT, Monterrey CA, Portland Maine, Santa Barbara.

This tool has been amazing to look at over the last couple weeks
https://www.aa.com/awardMap/home.do
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I don't know if it has to do with the CoronaVirus...
It might. I got a coronavirus-themed email the other day from Alaska Airlines offering select flights to Seattle [cough, cough] for $29 and Hawaii for $99. Also waiving change and cancellation fees.

(Right now you couldn't pay me to fly to Seattle, but If I had the time this year to make a worthwhile trip of it I'd be all over that Hawaii deal.)
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

scooterj wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 am
I don't know if it has to do with the CoronaVirus...
It might. I got a coronavirus-themed email the other day from Alaska Airlines offering select flights to Seattle [cough, cough] for $29 and Hawaii for $99. Also waiving change and cancellation fees.

(Right now you couldn't pay me to fly to Seattle, but If I had the time this year to make a worthwhile trip of it I'd be all over that Hawaii deal.)
O’Hare airport in Chicago at 7pm rush hour ...

Atlanta

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Creepy and March is a huge travel month.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:44 pm Creepy and March is a huge travel month.
Whatever this thing is it is going from initially concerning to very very scary.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Steve52 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:45 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:44 pm Creepy and March is a huge travel month.
Whatever this thing is it is going from initially concerning to very very scary.
The scariest part is the fact that so much of this hype is stemming from media over sensationalization of the event.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 pm
The scariest part is the fact that so much of this hype is stemming from media over sensationalization of the event.
At least we know the Trickle Down Effect works in Media, doesn't work that well in Economics though
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I disagree. The only way to keep this a shallow curve instead of a spiked one is to get people who live in areas unaffected (us) to change their behavior in advance.

We wouldn't be paying attention without the hype.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

grovester wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm

I disagree. The only way to keep this a shallow curve instead of a spiked one is to get people who live in areas unaffected (us) to change their behavior in advance.

We wouldn't be paying attention without the hype.
Exactly. If it is some kind of evil deep state plot to test how dumbed down people are from a decade of social media use to see how they react it seems to be working.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

OK, Boomer.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

edit: Moved to new thread..

viewtopic.php?p=605478#p605478
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Anyone heard anything about the new incarnation of Midwest airlines possibly seeking KC as a destination? I’ve read that they we’re still getting the airline itself set up just prior to Covid, and now seems like they’re waiting until after it clears to start up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 am Anyone heard anything about the new incarnation of Midwest airlines possibly seeking KC as a destination? I’ve read that they we’re still getting the airline itself set up just prior to Covid, and now seems like they’re waiting until after it clears to start up.
Midwest Express Airlines.

They aren't even operating yet, so talking about expansion seems premature
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

So now that we finally have some light at the end of the covid tunnel I started looking at flights again.

Good news:
AA just started their Saturday Cancun flight back up this past weekend so that was good to see back.
Frontier is starting theirs 3x a week in February. Volaris takes over the route in May.

Bad news:
Delta seems to have canceled service to Cincy permanently. Not all that surprising. They seem to be shutting down what is left of the cincy hub/focus city. They canceled to other cities as well.

Other news:
Southwest released their summer schedule. Right now (but subject to change) they are running 49 flights Fri/Sun and 54 on Saturdays.

Jan/Feb is pretty dead but after that slowly routes are scheduled to start coming back.

Southwest routes that come back in March
Fort Lauderdale, San Diego, Washington D.C.

Southwest routes that come back in April.
Austin, Milwaukee, New Orleans, New York, Panama City (Saturday only), Pensacola (Saturday only), Portland (Saturday only)

Southwest routes that were run in past year that aren't on the schedule.
Indy, Albuquerque, Seattle, Raleigh, San Antonio, Minny, Charleston (Can't remember if this one actually started).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

On the aviation front, Kansas City is now one of the top three unserved destinations from Honolulu with 134 PDEW since Austin and Charlotte announced nonstop service. The proceeding two destinations are Baltimore (205) and Detroit (147) with STL at 129. This is for 2Q 2020.

C73EE3B8-C2E3-4B5E-BAB0-6496B837FB7C.jpeg (105.08KiB)

The only carriers I can see serving MCI-HNL are Frontier Airlines (when they receive their A321XLR’s) and Hawaiian Airlines. However it should be noted that nonstop to Hawaii from KC and STL could be real possibilities within the next few years.
Loscher94 posted this on Urban STL
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^ Wouldn't that be nice? I was just thinking about the Halekulani this morning.

Chatted with a station lead for AA before my midday flight to MIA on Sunday. 2x daily MCI-MIA is not permanent, just occasional (rather than seasonal), but it is nice not to wake at 4am to make a 530 departure for south Florida destinations. My other missing route, DCA, is still "returning, but we don't know when."

DCA gives a backup option to many other East Coast smaller airports when PHL and/ or CLT are congested. It's especially valuable for little airports like PWM and CHS that receive congressional traffic and therefore almost always operate their "last flight out" even in winter weather. Pro tip -- DCA-MCI also operates reliably when the KC metro congressional members travel, notably Thursday evenings during session.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

dev49 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:22 pm So now that we finally have some light at the end of the covid tunnel I started looking at flights again.

Good news:
AA just started their Saturday Cancun flight back up this past weekend so that was good to see back.
Frontier is starting theirs 3x a week in February. Volaris takes over the route in May.

Bad news:
Delta seems to have canceled service to Cincy permanently. Not all that surprising. They seem to be shutting down what is left of the cincy hub/focus city. They canceled to other cities as well.

Other news:
Southwest released their summer schedule. Right now (but subject to change) they are running 49 flights Fri/Sun and 54 on Saturdays.

Jan/Feb is pretty dead but after that slowly routes are scheduled to start coming back.

Southwest routes that come back in March
Fort Lauderdale, San Diego, Washington D.C.

Southwest routes that come back in April.
Austin, Milwaukee, New Orleans, New York, Panama City (Saturday only), Pensacola (Saturday only), Portland (Saturday only)

Southwest routes that were run in past year that aren't on the schedule.
Indy, Albuquerque, Seattle, Raleigh, San Antonio, Minny, Charleston (Can't remember if this one actually started).
Quick update to this. Everyone I think has revised their March schedule except United.

Everything from Southwest above stands except San Diego is moved back to April now. DCA/FLL stayed on the schedule for March.

LGA is back in March on Delta. Still no Seattle or Boston.

DCA is back 4 days a week on AA in March.

EDIT: New Orleans does come back Saturday only in March.
Flights per day on Southwest for March. Friday/Sunday 33, Sat 37
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KC supposedly on the shortlist for JetBlue.

https://blog.wandr.me/2021/02/american- ... djustment/

Anna Aero reporting OAG data shows that KC had high leakage in 2019 (article 1/13/2023). The OAG booking data shows 3.5 million KC trips booked indirectly. KC suffers from a lack of flights to other mid-sized markets. Anna Aero mentions that KC is well-positioned for service from JetBlue's new A220s

https://www.anna.aero/2021/01/13/kansas ... ndirectly/

This anna aero graph about Midwest european air service is also interesting.

https://www.anna.aero/2019/12/17/britis ... -st-louis/