We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by FangKC »

It would seem to me that if we are such large rail and trucking hub, that KCI should expand its freight capacity.  I've always wondered why they didn't put a freight rail line up there.
There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

FangKC wrote: It would seem to me that if we are such large rail and trucking hub, that KCI should expand its freight capacity.  I've always wondered why they didn't put a freight rail line up there.
I believe it is already one of the largest cargo airports in the country - and capacity isn't an issue, we have way more runway than we use. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

voltopt wrote: Yeah, who do we lobby to get this to happen?
But seriously, i'd love to make a more professional looking graphic and develop some sort of simple write up to send to a publication or some powers-that-be.  I don't really know how ideas like this get off the ground (no pun intended). 
I'm seeing this in my mind now. You will be the Clay Chastain of the airport :lol:
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

nota wrote: I'm seeing this in my mind now. You will be the Clay Chastain of the airport :lol:
i could only dream!  :D
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

I just read through this thread and I have to admit, Some comments made me chuckle. For instance, "KCI is not big enough for KC anymore"... KCI is more than big enough for the city and will be for the next 10-20+ years. I'm pretty sure the airport has more land space and room to expand than most airports in the midwest, or even country.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

As far as cargo use, it is a decent sized airport but not in the top 25.  Memphis is the largest with Anchorage second.  JFK, Miami, LA, Louisville, Denver... KCI needs some significant warehouse/distribution development on site before it moves up.  I am confident that with the development plan they have and the changing face of distribution, there is a lot of potential for significant growth.
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

I've been in the Navy for awhile now, and have had the chance to see many different airports. KCI has come a long way in the past 10 yrs. I know it's not "mall-like", but if you want to go to a mall, go to a freaking' mall. KCI has done a fine job on putting new restaurants and other shops to make life more enjoyable to the passangers, but if you want to spend a lot of time shopping or eating at the airport, go work there! Isn't the point to get from point to point in a quick-like manner without giant delays or crowds. KCI rules for quick access, smaller lines, and traffic messes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I must agree that it is one of the most convenient airports in the country. No walking for what seems like miles down concourses.  Short-term parking is at the door.
There is no fifth destination.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

KC Business Journal article today on light rail quotes the Airport Director as saying that the 8-10 year dvelepoment timeline for light rail will coincide with their planning for THREE NEW TERMINALS at KCI.  I thought I read it wrong, but no, that is waht it said. 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

WTF?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCTigerFan wrote: KC Business Journal article today on light rail quotes the Airport Director as saying that the 8-10 year dvelepoment timeline for light rail will coincide with their planning for THREE NEW TERMINALS at KCI.   I thought I read it wrong, but no, that is waht it said.   
so now he's all about it, eh? i'm gonna go buy the biz journal tonight.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCrules wrote: I've been in the Navy for awhile now, and have had the chance to see many different airports. KCI has come a long way in the past 10 yrs. I know it's not "mall-like", but if you want to go to a mall, go to a freaking' mall. KCI has done a fine job on putting new restaurants and other shops to make life more enjoyable to the passangers, but if you want to spend a lot of time shopping or eating at the airport, go work there! Isn't the point to get from point to point in a quick-like manner without giant delays or crowds. KCI rules for quick access, smaller lines, and traffic messes.
The only purpose retail/restaurants serve at an airport is when the airport is a hub or mini-hub where people are changing flights and consequently have long waits.  Otherwise, getting in and out quickly is all important.....who WANTS to spend time in the airport????  Having said that, I have been unexpectedly stuck at KCI for several hours before.....and I would kind of like to see KCI become at least a mini-hub some day.  It will be too late for me, but it would have been nice if I could have flown directly into KC from Amsterdam or London over the last 9 years. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Well he did go on to say that they will move forward with our without a light rail connection, and that in fact light rail would cut into the parkign revenue for the airport.   
en08
Pad site
Pad site

Post by en08 »

KCTigerFan wrote: KC Business Journal article today on light rail quotes the Airport Director as saying that the 8-10 year dvelepoment timeline for light rail will coincide with their planning for THREE NEW TERMINALS at KCI.   I thought I read it wrong, but no, that is waht it said.   
Actually, I think you are right. I sent an email to the mayor about my concerns with the airport, and she referred my complaints to the Aviation Director. This is what he said to me:

Mayor Barnes asked me to respond to your email to her dated 2/2/07.  As Director of Aviation for the City of Kansas City, please allow me to address your concerns in the order they appeared in your email.

I was surprised to hear of your complaint concerning the gate areas.  Since the terminals were completely remodeled two years ago with new restrooms and food and beverage stations in the gate areas, we have received only positive comments.  Our terminal security checkpoints are allocated at each airline gate area.  Yes, our terminal design is 35 years old but our average wait time for security is less than ten minutes.  Near the lowest in the United States.

Kansas City International Airport is known in the industry as an origin and destination (O & D) airport.  We are not known as a connecting airport or a major hub airport.  We like it that way!  Our citizens are not at the mercy of one dominant airline that can price their tickets out of reach for most consumers.  If you look at what has happened to some those hub airports in the last decade, (St. Louis, Nashville, Raleigh, and Cincinnati) they have lost major service completely or the average cost of airfares has skyrocketed.  Just recently, the cities of Atlanta and Charlotte held their breaths due to the possibility of a merger between Delta and USAirways.  This would have devastated one of those cities because they are both dominated by one airline.
KCI has the 2nd lowest average airfare in the Midwest.  With airlines such as Southwest, Midwest, AirTran and Frontier, the major airlines operating here are forced to compete and keep their prices competitive.  KCI is one of the lowest cost airports in the United States for airlines to operate.  KCI’s cost per passenger is under $4.00.  Compare that to Denver or St. Louis at $15 to $20.00 per passenger.

Several years ago the community examined connecting the three terminals or possibly widening each terminal.  The costs exceeded anything imagined and the airlines decided they would not finance such a project.  The airport is currently underway with a master plan that will forecast the needs of the airport for the next 20 years.  It is my intention to steer this process into the construction of a new single facility to serve all airlines and passengers.  Although KCI does not pay for the security services you mentioned, a single terminal with extended concourses will allow the airport to increase all revenues from concessions and decrease the amount of personnel needed to maintain the three identical terminals we have today.

I beg to differ with your final statement concerning the time consuming and inconvenient security that exists today at KCI.  Our security wait times have never been less and the addition of restrooms in all of our gates and food service in many gate areas has been a welcome change for our customers.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What the hell is wrong with KCI?  I can't wait for the day that we have a single terminal with 2 hour queues to get in, traffic jams etc.  If they can do it fine, I'm all for it, but till then, I will enjoy the convenience of KCI, the low fares, and decent non-stop to just about everywhere.

It's nice having an airport designed for KC residents.  Anybody that flys a lot likes KCI.

Just build up the area around KCI.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

GRID wrote: What the hell is wrong with KCI?  I can't wait for the day that we have a single terminal with 2 hour queues to get in, traffic jams etc.  If they can do it fine, I'm all for it, but till then, I will enjoy the convenience of KCI, the low fares, and decent non-stop to just about everywhere.

It's nice having an airport designed for KC residents.  Anybody that flys a lot likes KCI.
Its the difference between those who actually USE MCI for flying as opposed to those who go there seldom if ever. Any of the road warriors I know love MCI for its convenience especially. Those who want changes mentioned here aren't necessarily  those who actually USE it. They just want it to be another "charm" on KC's bracelet rather than a nicely functional and convenient airport.
Just build up the area around KCI.
Have you been reading all the things in the Star of late about this very thing? Things up there are beginning to go that way. Mark Van Loh is starting the wheels turning.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

nota wrote: Its the difference between those who actually USE MCI for flying as opposed to those who go there seldom if ever. Any of the road warriors I know love MCI for its convenience especially. Those who want changes mentioned here aren't necessarily  those who actually USE it. They just want it to be another "charm" on KC's bracelet rather than a nicely functional and convenient airport.
I want to do whatever it takes to get bona fide overseas routes into and out of KCI.  I use KCI and I hate having to go through Detroit, Minneapolis, Houston, Chicago, or Newark everytime I come back from the UK. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote: I want to do whatever it takes to get bona fide overseas routes into and out of KCI.  I use KCI and I hate having to go through Detroit, Minneapolis, Houston, Chicago, or Newark everytime I come back from the UK. 
i think this has a lot more to do with being KCI not being a hub than anything else. i'd take the low prices any day.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

GRID wrote: What the hell is wrong with KCI?  I can't wait for the day that we have a single terminal with 2 hour queues to get in, traffic jams etc.  If they can do it fine, I'm all for it, but till then, I will enjoy the convenience of KCI, the low fares, and decent non-stop to just about everywhere.

=D>
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

IMO KCI should convert the top floor of the terminal garages into 3 "main" terminals.  That way, they can save costs, and can still leave the convenient underground parking area for each terminal.

They can create a one-stop area for security check in, and have all the restaurants/services in one area, leaving the current gate configurations as they are.  The exsisting roadway (circle drive) can still be used by red buses only (traveling from terminal to terminal) That way, if there is someone conneting on a different airline outside of the terminal, they have a fast and efficient way of reaching their gate.

To me, this seems like a great idea, as it took a relative of mine yesterday night almost 35 min. to reach me in terminal A from terminal B. 

It would be a massive project costing millions of dollars, but it would make the airport more efficient and cost-friendly.  but yes, you would have to walk a while to reach the exits. (gasp) like Kansas Citians couldn't use the excersice.