Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by grovester »

So one a year gets you to 90?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That would be a 25% increase in turnout from the imaginary numbers we are sniping about, right? Which is a much larger percentage than those disenfranchised by the voter id laws we are always howling about.

All snark aside, I've seen the data on voter fatigue. Yes, 3 elections per year is too fucking many. Especially given how little is on each ballot.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

There are just as many entities that WANT more elections as don't, to confuse issues and drive down turnout. It's part of the game and won't likely change.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:There are just as many entities that WANT more elections as don't, to confuse issues and drive down turnout. It's part of the game and won't likely change.
Like having the mayoral election alone from other issues reduces turnout and makes petitions easier.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Holy crap! Freakin Pittsburgh is building a new $1Billion terminal and their old one is from the 80s and KC is STILL fooling around. It has now gone from ridiculous to outrageous to I have no earthly idea what. What the hell is going on in KC? The Sprint Center got built & still doesn't have a tenant.

If you want to read about the new Pittsburgh terminal its on the USAToday web site.

I love KC but what the hell is in the water there???
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ I get the frustration and tend to agree, but Kansas City is a very conservative town. We are mostly content and don't compare ourselves much to other cities. That's bad when you're trying to make progress in making the city better...but it's a positive during recessions when other markets crash and we stay steady.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ I get the frustration and tend to agree, but Kansas City is a very conservative town. We are mostly content and don't compare ourselves much to other cities. That's bad when you're trying to make progress in making the city better...but it's a positive during recessions when other markets crash and we stay steady.
Well put.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've used the Pittsburgh analogy as well but honestly they are doing it because their current buildings and train shuttle are way too expensive to operate now that their hub operations has gone away...kinda sad story for them.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

KCPowercat wrote:I've used the Pittsburgh analogy as well but honestly they are doing it because their current buildings and train shuttle are way too expensive to operate now that their hub operations has gone away...kinda sad story for them.
It is a perfect analogy. You can put either kc or pitt in the following sentense: The current terminal was built for a different situation and now it's partially empty and expensive to operate.

The fact is that Pittsburgh is actually building a new terminal and kansas city is dancing around and right now no one knows when or if a new terminal will be built. The sad story is Kansas City. Both airports have seen an increase in numbers. One airport is insufficient. The other is doing something about it.

As I said, what the hell is in the water in KC?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

SingleMalt12 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I've used the Pittsburgh analogy as well but honestly they are doing it because their current buildings and train shuttle are way too expensive to operate now that their hub operations has gone away...kinda sad story for them.
It is a perfect analogy. You can put either kc or pitt in the following sentense: The current terminal was built for a different situation and now it's partially empty and expensive to operate.

The fact is that Pittsburgh is actually building a new terminal and kansas city is dancing around and right now no one knows when or if a new terminal will be built. The sad story is Kansas City. Both airports have seen an increase in numbers. One airport is insufficient. The other is doing something about it.

As I said, what the hell is in the water in KC?
It is probably the same water that has jeopardized the streetcar expansion, convention center hotel, etc...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are voting on a new terminal in November...what are you asking for?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

That we shouldn't even have to vote on it only because a small group of people are against it and other projects moving our city forward are against it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

"Why do we even get to vote on things?" is my favorite argument to hear supposedly progressive people espouse.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

But as I understand it, this is only going to a vote because of the petition due to it being private funds.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

ldai_phs wrote:But as I understand it, this is only going to a vote because of the petition due to it being private funds.
That is part of the vote, the other is due to MO law that puts any bond issuance to vote. Even if they are privately obtained bonds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hartliss wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:But as I understand it, this is only going to a vote because of the petition due to it being private funds.
That is part of the vote, the other is due to MO law that puts any bond issuance to vote. Even if they are privately obtained bonds.
I don't believe the last part is accurate.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

pash wrote:It's not accurate. The November vote is not required by law; it's happening only because the Council decided they wanted to let people vote on whether a new terminal should happen.

There will have to be a second vote, as required by state law, if the Council eventually decides to finance a new terminal using standard airport revenue bonds, since the inane ballot language the Council drew up for the vote in November specifically does not authorize their use. It looks like Edgemoor has been more forthcoming about the advantages of airport revenue bonds than some of the charlatans previously involved, so who knows, we might actually end up in the absurd situation of asking voters to approve this thing twice.
Ok, I took this quote from a lunch I attended recently with the Mayor speaking re: issuance of bonds whether public or private financed. The November election is related to CFRGs petition initiative. Either way it is all confusing as hell.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.