Private Bikes

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Private Bikes

Post by flyingember »

Rail is expensive. Busses have public opinion issues. Walking is slow. Cars come with capacity issues and the need for parking lots.

The big push around reducing parking needs to be more focus on biking.
The bike share system is a good start for this but comes with a cost.

City code has decently handled the requirement for bike parking with required bike parking within renovations/new construction but should expand this to where bikes are a required building resource past a certain square footage.

Bikes are cheap, they can use existing pavement and can play into a health initiative for a business. It would be great if it became a normal expectation that you can drive to work and ride a free company owned bike to lunch.

This would go a long way to reducing demand for short term parking across downtown.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Private Bikes

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

flyingember wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 am Rail is expensive. Busses have public opinion issues. Walking is slow. Cars come with capacity issues and the need for parking lots.

The big push around reducing parking needs to be more focus on biking.
The bike share system is a good start for this but comes with a cost.

City code has decently handled the requirement for bike parking with required bike parking within renovations/new construction but should expand this to where bikes are a required building resource past a certain square footage.

Bikes are cheap, they can use existing pavement and can play into a health initiative for a business. It would be great if it became a normal expectation that you can drive to work and ride a free company owned bike to lunch.

This would go a long way to reducing demand for short term parking across downtown.
If companies are interested in E-bikes I ended up running into a quite practical design that isn’t outrageously expensive while in London this past week. https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/electric-bikes
They manufacture an ultra-minimalist style of E bike that is very security centric with active protections. I feel if you are to go the way of more biking, you’d have to have E-bikes with so many of the hilly parts of the DT area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

VanMoof makes nice bikes. If you're thinking of ordering one, make sure to check the standover height on them. They're much larger than you'd expect.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:01 pm
I feel if you are to go the way of more biking, you’d have to have E-bikes with so many of the hilly parts of the DT area.
I can see KCPL being all over this idea, providing a car and bike charging station for businesses as a bundled project.

Every business is going to need to (be expected to) provide car charging in the next 5-10 years at a cost as the tech catches on. Even 10% uptake in KC could be 200,000 electric cars. It’s not that far out, California is 100% zero emissions in 2035. People on trips, moving, used car sales and the like will bring them here en mass within a few years. At 10% of the country that’s a lot of electric cars coming out of California

A lot of places will look at this and realize they can’t afford as much parking any more and won’t provide it on their lot. They can charge for electricity but it means rethinking parking lot design when you can’t provide charging at every spot. Central parking with all amenities provided can become more in demand. Employee parking will need charging spaces. Long commutes will mean more charging demand and most cost so businesses will want to be more centrally located so more people can go round trip without charging.

If your car is charging you will need an alternative way to get around during the day. That’s where the bike comes into the picture

15 years isn’t that long
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm VanMoof makes nice bikes. If you're thinking of ordering one, make sure to check the standover height on them. They're much larger than you'd expect.
I noticed that when my wife and I took a test ride. The X3 seemed fine for me (6’1”), but my wife wouldn’t be able to use an S3 if I got one, as she’s just a bit over 5’. We’re planning on getting both and X3 and S3 whenever we get back home. We’re planning on a house in midtown so the bikes would likely become our daily commuter.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 am
chaglang wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm VanMoof makes nice bikes. If you're thinking of ordering one, make sure to check the standover height on them. They're much larger than you'd expect.
I noticed that when my wife and I took a test ride. The X3 seemed fine for me (6’1”), but my wife wouldn’t be able to use an S3 if I got one, as she’s just a bit over 5’. We’re planning on getting both and X3 and S3 whenever we get back home. We’re planning on a house in midtown so the bikes would likely become our daily commuter.
Where did you take a test ride?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chaglang wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 am
Where did you take a test ride?
We were in London. Fantastic store front near the seven dials district. An amazing experience with the bikes, and at an incredibly competitive pricing!