N-S Bike Path in Urban Core

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: N-S Bike Path in Urban Core

Post by KCPowercat »

Ended up the PVP route to Broadway then central down to Westport Rd then to the plaza. Entirely too hot to repute out of the way a mile yesterday to do like the Charlotte route.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm I think this was normalthing’s idea, but I’d love if PVP and Liberty Memorial and its grounds were consolidated into a unified, National Parks Service-run grand park.
Interesting idea. Does anyone have any idea how much the IRS facility is utilized? It’d imagine the volume of paper filings they receive now compared to when this was built is a fraction of what it was since most people and businesses e-file. Perhaps 10 years from now that building could be torn down and “square” out a national park.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

kcmiz wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:04 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:28 pm I think this was normalthing’s idea, but I’d love if PVP and Liberty Memorial and its grounds were consolidated into a unified, National Parks Service-run grand park.
Interesting idea. Does anyone have any idea how much the IRS facility is utilized? It’d imagine the volume of paper filings they receive now compared to when this was built is a fraction of what it was since most people and businesses e-file. Perhaps 10 years from now that building could be torn down and “square” out a national park.
A National Park would probably be the best way to get the park grounds maintained adequately and even remove some of the roads. It would be beneficial if that path were taken one day.

As for the IRS building, it seems overly bloated. The newer addition could definitely go or be reduced in a decade as more taxes are filed online.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 pm
A National Park would probably be the best way to get the park grounds maintained adequately and even remove some of the roads. It would be beneficial if that path were taken one day.

As for the IRS building, it seems overly bloated. The newer addition could definitely go or be reduced in a decade as more taxes are filed online.
As stated in the stadium thread (kinda weird it came up today there too), they still employ thousands through much of the year. That new facility is why KC has the IRS at all - it’s down to mailing returns to either us or one other place for personal returns. It’s not going anywhere - the government would likely need something just as fortressy to replace it if they permanently reduced headcount by quite a bit.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

longviewmo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:50 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 pm

As stated in the stadium thread (kinda weird it came up today there too), they still employ thousands through much of the year. That new facility is why KC has the IRS at all - it’s down to mailing returns to either us or one other place for personal returns. It’s not going anywhere - the government would likely need something just as fortressy to replace it if they permanently reduced headcount by quite a bit.
Not saying your wrong about how busy the processing center is. And I know I'm be pedantic. But there are 10 diffrent locations that process paper returns.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 449584002/