Urban Core Drivers

Transportation topics in KC
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Urban Core Drivers

Post by Steve52 »

"Not an exaggeration to call it lawlessness." What in the hell are we going to do about this craziness? It's getting worse. I mean really bad.

https://twitter.com/staubio/status/1214697444132474882
Last edited by Steve52 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Urban Cores Insane Out Of Control Drivers

Post by Steve52 »

I saw two cars rip right through a red light at the intersection of Westport Rd. and Roanoke by the QT insane asylum earlier. In heavy traffic. Speeders and people cutting off others and other blatant acts of disregard for the safety of others. Totally out of control.

What is it going to take?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I vote flamethrowers.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

I avoid that ridiculous strip as much as possible anymore. Approving that QT expansion was one of the worst decisions City Hall has ever made.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

This forum is about development, not observations of driving habits. Try https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Of course, not related at all.

Apologies.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Semi-related: Loar moved the Vision Zero ordinance to a joint committee today so the funding could be figured out... or something. Again, KCMO holds public safety and traffic calming to a different standard of scrutiny than it does road building and vehicle LOS.

Maybe this thread should be moved into the General category?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SimplyKC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm This forum is about development, not observations of driving habits. Try https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/.
Road development standards set the tone for driving.

For example, take Oak SB from Admiral to 19th. This goes right by city hall so should be a well designed street

Two through lanes come in off the HOA Bridge. The lane alignment is such that one drops at 9th except for two hours of the day and it goes to 11th. Why would the lanes not align with the continuous through lanes? This encourages people to change lanes inside downtown when this should be done on the more free flowing bridge.

There's also people often illegally parked from 7-9

Between 11th and 12th there's a garage with a mid block entrance that frequently backs up into the street both directions and a bus stop SB too close to the intersection. This encourages changing lanes in the intersection itself

There's a bus stop at the SW corner of city hall (a fine spot) for NB traffic. But it's too close to the corner and most busses then have to change lanes to the right turn only lane in less than a block. The outside NB lane is the only through lane but the design encourages cars to use the turn lane to go around the bus at the stop.

A new outside lane appears for parking at 12th and 13th. It's for emergency vehicles only (a fine idea for cops going to court). But there's always sheriff cars illegally parked in the NB direction which is no parking. Clearly there's demand for more cop parking in this area. When they park there they block the only continuous through lane.

South of 13th there's a new through lane until Truman Rd south. It's frequently used for large trucks for events. There's plenty of space but this also blocks the right turn lane onto Truman Rd.|

Over 670 there's an entire extra lane. The outside lane ends directly south of 670 and there's no sign this is true.

South of 670 heading NB to the overpass the through lanes shift right before the intersection. The painted lines don't shift you over. I've seen a huge number of NB drivers go straight out of the left turn only lane crossing Truman Rd N. The city painted a don't drive here median north of 670 and drivers just drive into it and cut off other drivers.

Continuing SB there's no left turn lanes, so cars waiting to turn left block half the lanes and drivers frequently use the parking lane to turn right both directions. It might be legal but there's no right turn sign, right turn lane lines or arrow or any of that stuff for a new lane. So these drivers are cutting off drivers who might be turning right out of the through lane.

Then the very last piece, SB past 19th there's a parking lane until the bridge itself begins. It's not used for parking regularly and there's nothing stopping drivers from using it as a third lane. Then traffic has to merge right again to stay in the through lanes. So these drivers are illegally passing on the right and cutting people off.

And what makes it worse is half this corridor was just redone in the past couple of years!

We could remove no lanes on Oak and make things better for everyone. We need to design our roads not for traffic flow but to stop idiots at the expense of a few MPH. Removing part time lanes, repainting lane shifts and install more concrete to demarc parking lanes. This would go a long way to safety. And the corner bumpouts at the end of parking zone added would reduce crossing distances for pedestrians too, add spaces for trees and all that.

Our street designs take such minor changes to make things better for cars and they aren't even being done
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

SimplyKC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:12 pm This forum is about development, not observations of driving habits. Try https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/.
It is related. Does the City Council even bother to scrutinize the idiotic traffic studies developers submit and the impact is is going to have on everyone? I don't think they do because I have read them. Now here we are with a major problem on our hands.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Urban Core Drivers

Post by Steve52 »

37th and Wyoming

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not unique to urban core. Moving to Transportation.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Drivers are A+ compared to Milwaukee. In Milwaukee people in the inner city pretty much run red lights all the time, weave in and out of traffic, no turn signals. It's horrible in Milwaukee
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’ve been seeing lots of large delivery, even semi-size trucks on boulevards through the area. They destroy trees and are too large for urban lanes. Do police not ticket for these trucks being on boulevards they’re not supposed to?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm I’ve been seeing lots of large delivery, even semi-size trucks on boulevards through the area. They destroy trees and are too large for urban lanes. Do police not ticket for these trucks being on boulevards they’re not supposed to?
Your first assumption is the police are there to see them driving.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm Your first assumption is the police are there to see them driving.
It seems so widespread lately though that there just can’t be any deterrence happening. Do the police even know it’s illegal?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:42 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm Your first assumption is the police are there to see them driving.
It seems so widespread lately though that there just can’t be any deterrence happening. Do the police even know it’s illegal?
How do you know it’s widespread? Your view of a road is a fraction of a day.

Also, what makes you think there isn’t deterrence? Given your minority view could they be enforcing it at times you aren’t on the road?

This is the same logic fault as someone saying they don’t see bicyclists so there’s no need for bike lanes
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm How do you know it’s widespread? Your view of a road is a fraction of a day.

Also, what makes you think there isn’t deterrence? Given your minority view could they be enforcing it at times you aren’t on the road?

This is the same logic fault as someone saying they don’t see bicyclists so there’s no need for bike lanes
I’ve never heard someone make a philosophical ‘if a tree falls in the forest’ argument about a simple question about trucks. It might be time for a drink as you appear wound a bit tight tonight. Cheers!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:03 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm How do you know it’s widespread? Your view of a road is a fraction of a day.

I’ve never heard someone make a philosophical ‘if a tree falls in the forest’ argument about a simple question about trucks. It might be time for a drink as you appear wound a bit tight tonight. Cheers!
And yet the entire fundamental basis of your argument relies on ignoring that you could be wrong with your entire premise
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I have to vent. I had some business to do in Independence today and had plenty of time so I took surface streets there and back. On my way out I was heading east on Truman road. At Jackson Ave there was a pedestrian laying in the middle of the intersection that as best as I can tell was struck by a car turning left onto Truman. At least the car that I believe had hit him stopped and the occupants of the car and a few bystanders were talking to him/rendering aid and providing a buffer. I could hear the sirens coming so I moved along.

Then on my way home I was on 39th street heading west and just after Troost a Jeep made a sudden right turn from the left lane onto Harrison I think, cutting off and colliding with an old Ford Ranger that was traveling in the right lane and was also slowing down and signalling for a turn.

Witnessing two accidents on one outing was simply crazy. This comes just days after I myself was nearly taken out by a car that made a no-stop right on red onto Roanoke Parkway from 43rd Street as I tried to cross with the ped signal which had just changed. I was literally inches from having my foot run over and in my fear and surprise physically slapped the vehicle as it cornered around me.

I never see KCPD out doing any kind of traffic enforcement what-so-ever. Increasing the number of traffic stops and enforcement is not necessarily my favorite solution as that has its own issues but there simply must be a way to get people to comply with a basic level of care and courtesy. The streets here are very dangerous and frankly is the number one quality of life issue I have faced since moving here. I'm feeling very fed up this week.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:02 pm I never see KCPD out doing any kind of traffic enforcement what-so-ever. Increasing the number of traffic stops and enforcement is not necessarily my favorite solution as that has its own issues but there simply must be a way to get people to comply with a basic level of care and courtesy. The streets here are very dangerous and frankly is the number one quality of life issue I have faced since moving here. I'm feeling very fed up this week.
I can't believe this has never been done, even before the pandemic. AND THERE'S A TRAFFIC CONTROL UNIT. Where the fuck are they?